"Down Below the Street"

zanimum

Reaction score
When I was a child watching the show (1988-1995, max range of years), I remember a segment with four or five black singers, called "Down Below the Street". They were live action, but the background was illustrated, in the same fashion as the closing sequence at the time.

It talked of the subways, pipes, sewers, etc saying "you gotta go deeper down, down below, down below the street". I guess it was R&B, it was certainly very melodic.

Anyone else remember this, and perhaps anyone know who they are?

Nick

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Ah yes, a classic. I think the clip was from the late 1980s, and was performed by 14 Karat Soul. They also appeared in "Elmo Saves Christmas".

zanimum

Reaction score
Thanks!

Really? I'll have to watch "Elmo Saves Christmas" some day, never have.

They're official site is primarily targeted towards the Japanese, I guess that's where they make their living these days.

Nick

zanimum

Reaction score
Regulars?

Now knowing their name is "14 Karat", I searched the archives, and found a comment that... "They usually sang on the stoops of the Brownstone..."

They appeared regularly? Also, the comment mentioned "younger than David", suggesting they appeared while Northern was still alive, thus before me.

Is this the case, that they were "regular guests", a la Judy Collins or Buffy Sainte-Marie?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, I remember that one as well. I almost forgot about it, it was kinda cool.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I remember that and having it stuck in my head for days. For old times sake does anuone have a clip or something?

frewt

Reaction score
don't have a clip but it'd be nice to get one.....you all got me singing the somg now....

"what's down down, below the street, whats under the sidewalk that's under your feet, what down down depper down, down below the street...."

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's catchy, SS has a thing for making catchy tunes, don't they.