Doubts about the new show?

Drtooth

Reaction score
When I heard Fox was going to pick up a muppet show, I felt thousands of feelings at once. But what I must say is that I have numerous doubts and suspitions.
First of all, Someone said in the Ask Ken post in the Merchandise section, that the show wasn't on the next season's guide, nor is it a mid season replacement. What? Muppets aren't good enough for the network that brought us Temptaion Island, Batchelloretts in Alsaka, and fifteen different Malcom in the middle wannabes? Secondly, if it is a midseason replacement, very few of them are succesful (Look at Greg the Bunny). Thirdly, I don't know what they'd do to it (I have these fears that Piggy and Kermit will be far more intimate if you know what I mean. And thirdly, the idiots that think Muppets are nothing more than Greasy Kid's Stuff (the same people who watch Springer and Wrestling) will more likely turn on some ridiculous formulaic sitcom instead.

Please voice concerns here as well!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I think it is way too early to worry.

Of course it isn't in the fall line up-- it has been stated that the earliest they could possibly have the show together would be March 2003. That is too late for a mid-season replacement. And that is the earliest the show could be ready. I think it is a very good sign that they are taking their time in putting this together.

As for turning the Muppets into kiddie fair or a dull, formulaic sit-com, I've got faith in JHC. Someone once said there are three kinds of movies: those that were intended to be good and are, those that were intended to be good and aren't, and those that were never intended to be good. The Muppets always fall into the first two categories. The intentions are always stellar. Even with the looming sale, I don't think JHC is going to suddenly begin signing off on crap. I don't think the main artists (Jerry, Dave, Steve, Bill, etc) are going to work on a crappy show.

Give them time to develop the show. Let them put real effort into the concept. Have faith it will get to the air waves when it is ready and it will be worth the wait. It may not be The Muppet Show, it may need a little time to get the kinks worked out, but JHC and Fox are perfectly capable of producing a high quality Muppet show.

I'm sure we'll hear more about the show as development progresses. And TV schedules are always subject to change.

Just my thoughts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter

As for turning the Muppets into kiddie fair or a dull, formulaic sit-com, I've got faith in JHC.
I must have been unclear. I meant to say that people tend to think that the Muppets are Kiddie stuff. And the peopl who say that will turn off the Muppets and Turn on a lousy sitcom. So you caan see what I mean. The ratings won't be stellar, if peopl associate Muppets with kids stuff!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Ahh! Yes-- a very real problem. I hope Fox promotes the show well. I had a thought about this a while ago:

Wouldn't it be great if Fox would hire the Muppets to do ads for their existing shows? Imagine Kermit in the white disco suit (with disco ball on the ceiling, of course) doing an ad for that 70s show? Pepe could play the exchange student. How about Link as the dumb kid who thinks he is really good looking? (Sorry I don't know the show that well so I don't remember the names) Piggy & Janice or Camilla could be the two girls. They could have a lot of fun with that. They could have the Muppets interact with the actors, or just have the Muppets spoof the shows. A Muppet cameo on That 70s Show would be perfect-- sense The Muppet Show was on the air when that show takes place. The Muppets could do a great parody of the new lawyer show that is replacing Ally McBeal. What about something with the Muppets and Bart?

I think this would be a great way to get people to start associating the Muppets with the network and draw in an older audience. The Muppets always do great parodies and spoofs, so it would be a great way to showcase the Muppets and start buidling interest in the new series.

For the new series to be successful it is essential to get people to tune in. I think, if you can get teens and adults to sit down and watch, the Muppets will sell themselves. But you're right, it is a challenge to get them to tune in the first time. (My 9 year old brother-in-law visited a while ago and I was looking for a movie to watch. I suggested one of the Muppet movies and he said he didn't really like the Muppets; they were fun when he was little but he was too old for them now-- I was horrified, he isn't even old enough to get half the jokes yet.)

Salmoto

Reaction score
What worries me about the show is they keep saying there is going to be an all new cast of Muppets. This means that there will be 3 different casts: the old cast, the newer cast from MT and a cast that is newer than that. How the heck are they gonna keep all these Muppets organized without having a beloved character like Rowlf fall through the cracks?

At least there's one upside: Statler and Waldorf will still be prominately involved.

Luke

Reaction score
It's not an all new cast, they are just using some new characters and continuing to rest some of the less sucessful Muppets Tonight ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
My 9 year old brother-in-law visited a while ago and I was looking for a movie to watch. I suggested one of the Muppet movies and he said he didn't really like the Muppets; they were fun when he was little but he was too old for them now-- I was horrified, he isn't even old enough to get half the jokes yet.
9 huh? He must watch that Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Pokemon junk. Rots your brain, that does. And Muppets are kid's stuff?

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
... if it is a midseason replacement, very few of them are succesful (Look at Greg the Bunny). Please voice concerns here as well!
Look at M*A*S*H, Malcom in the Middle and The Simpsons.
I also think That 70s show was a mid-season replacement.

I think if it is a quality show, it may benefit from the lack of competition if it starts mid-season with less direct competition.

:big_grin:
Duke

Drtooth

Reaction score
Midseason shows are eitehr successful or not, apparently! Let's hope it's a hit!

I just hope they don't screw up the marketing, and such like they did with Greg th Bunny. All the commercials showed "poop adn Pee" jokes and various adult situations. They also made Eugeen Levy's character look nerdier than he was in the show (showing the "Wassup" and "Show me the Bunny" clips out of context). They basically made it look like a stupid "Shock \" puppet show, and thus it came off as bad wanna be south Park like humor. The show was so much more. They never gave it a good ad. I have dreadful visions they'll advertise the new Muppets just as badly, so the audience will run away!