Dog City: Miss Belle's accent

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Just curious, what kind of New York accent is that? Brooklyn, Bronx? For some reason, her voice reminds me of Batman's Harley Quinn a little bit :smile: I always enjoy the classic 40s new york accent about as much as I enjoy the British accent. :smile: They are my two favorite accents.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could probably answer that, but is it the TV special or is it an episode of the cartoon series you're looking for? I could help you if you're a little specific.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I could probably answer that, but is it the TV special or is it an episode of the cartoon series you're looking for? I could help you if you're a little specific.
The Jim Henson Hour episode.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I think it might be sort of a Brooklin accent from the 30s or 40s something like that. It's kind of like Harley Quinn's accent from Batman the Animated Series. Like I mentioned, there's something about the old New York accents I really admire. Plus the puppeteer Camille Bonora, she's one of my favorite performers :smile:

CBPuppets

Reaction score
My guess is that it could be a homage to Betty boop!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
My guess is that it could be a homage to Betty boop!
Hmm, I don't know. The voice is simular but I think Betty's voice is more high pitched. And I don't remember Betty having an accent. Though I do love those Betty Boop cartoons. Minnie the Moocher is probably my favorite. Those Flecture cartoons are super weird, even the black and white Popeye cartoons. lol

I really like the slang that was even used in the 40s and 30s and possibly swinging 20s like"Cut a slice of rug" meaning dancing on the dance floor. Stuff like that. I've always been kind of old school with stuff like that. Dead End Kids, Three Stooges, Marx Brothers, and of course the Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker cartoons of the 1940s. :smile:

I love Miss Belle's line "Oh My Dog, I broke a claw! Oh Bugsy.(wimpering)" lol And Jim as Bugsy Them, amazing performance. :smile: Kind of like a Harley Quinn / Joker sort of situation basically about 3 or 4 years a head of it's time :smile:

I love the Jim Henson Hour, I can't for it to come to a complete DVD boxset someday.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I love the Jim Henson Hour, I can't for it to come to a complete DVD boxset someday.
Well Considering that they released the Dog City Movie as well song of the Cloud Forest on DVD it might be a possibility!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Well Considering that they released the Dog City Movie as well song of the Cloud Forest on DVD it might be a possibility!
I think it's in the matter of some kind of deal with the Jim Henson Company and Disney (since they own The Muppets now).

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think it's in the matter of some kind of deal with the Jim Henson Company and Disney (since they own The Muppets now).
I'm pretty sure that the JHC still have the rights to the Dog City TV show, actually.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the JHC still have the rights to the Dog City TV show, actually.
Right. You know, I rarely seen the TV series. All I know about it was the live action segments, the puppets are recycled like Ace U is a new character that's a cartoonist, Bugsy Them is performed by Brian Mueal. (Anyone know how to spell his last name? And is it pernounced like meal or other) and the animation half. But one of the weird things I've always noticed was when ever Jim's creations are transformed to an animated format (Muppet Babies, Animated Fraggle Rock, Little Muppet Monsters segments, etc), none of the original Muppeteers ever do the voices. But I suppose that's just for another thread. lol

Anyway, back to Miss Belle's accent. Won't anyone say it's more on the Brooklyn side, kind of 1930s / 1940s?