Dog City, anyone?

Hubert

Reaction score
I've noticed that Dog City never seems to be discussed on this forum. Doesn't anyone like Dog City? The only threads I've found about Dog City, using the search box, would be a thread about the DVD release.

Doesn't anyone like Dog City?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I like Dog City. I watched it when it was originally on the air. There aren't many episodes I really remember, though.

I like to talk about this show to people who I suspect never saw it, but also feel it's complicated to talk about it to people who never heard of it. Actually, it's probably simple to just describe the show - a live-action dog puppet animates his own cartoo series, with characters based on him and those he knows, and can interract with his creation. But whenever I talk about the show to people, I just have to tell them about the show's origins as well, which makes it more complicated: The show's part-animated and part-live action, the animated portions based on a fully live action special from The Jim Henson Hour, while in the context of the show the animated characters are based on the characters in the live-action sequences, who are reused puppets from the original special. Complicated, huh?

I don't remember seeing the original special during the Jim Henson Hour's original run, so I recall seeing the show first. Then I saw some of the puppets from the original special in The Secrets of the Muppets, and noticed them looking like puppet versions of the cast. Then I saw a clip from the special in The World of Jim Henson, with "Dog City" as a caption, and wondered what that Dog City was (a special or a different TV series?).

It's a shame this series doesn't have any commercial DVD releases (only the Amazon burn-on-demand).

dwmckim

Reaction score
No bones about it, Dog City was a treat that left you begging for more.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I love the special, but haven't ever really seen the show. But I really want to!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still don't see what was so wrong with Little Muppet Monsters... but I really think Dog City added that interactive something (and wackier Canadian animation over stiffer Japanese animation) that made it a far superior concept. The writing was top notch, the voice acting and puppetry complimented each other... the last season with multiple animated segments was... well... weird, but that's the only problem the show had... and most of those segments were actually pretty tight. Especially Master's Choice Theater.

mo

Reaction score
I like dog city I was watching it over easter It was cool to see kevin clash do a nother non-elmo voice!

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I love the special, but I've never seen the TV show. My favorite character from the show is definitely Ace. It was nice to have Kevin Clash perform a different character other than Elmo. In fact, I think Ace's voice is pretty darn close to Kevin's actual voice. The puppetry as always was excellent and the puppets looked very realistic, of course, I love dogs anyway, so the special is one of my favorites!