Does cooking a milk product destroy the lactose?

salemfan

Reaction score
I was wondering-does cooking a milk product make the food easier for the lactose intolerant to digest?

Beebers

Reaction score
No. Lactose is a sugar, actually two sugars, and cooking has no effect on them whatsoever.

salemfan

Reaction score
You mean people with lactose intolerance still have to check ingredient labels for everything they eat?

King Jim

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
You mean people with lactose intolerance still have to check ingredient labels for everything they eat?
Your Right!

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
it depends on the severity...most people can have anything besides your traditional dairy product (ice cream, cheese, milk, etc..) but something like a brownie would be fine. (as long as you don't eat the whole pan...and then you've got more than one problem)

salemfan

Reaction score
Are there instances of lactose intolerance in which the person cannot have butter or yogurt?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I used to have quite bad lactose intolerance. I seem to have grown out of it now which seems strange. It used to happen mainy if I had a big milkshake, or if I had ice cream ontop of a big meal or any milk after a big meal. I havent had any problems with that for ages now though. I never had to have special milk products or anything, except when I was a baby. I just had to know when not to have milk. and not to have too much of it.