Does Bert and Ernie's apartment still exist?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been a long time since Bert and Ernie's apartment has been seen on the show (in part because it's been a long time since there were a lot of new Bert and Ernie segments.... at least in America), and one thing I've been wondering is if their apartment living room/bedroom set still exists or if it's been in storage after all these years when we haven't seen it.

The episode where their apartment got flooded would have been a good episode to show it, but as far as I know it wasn't (I actually can't remember whether I've seen that street story or if I'm just going by what I saw at Muppet Wiki). It might have been hard to show water in their apartment (though they probably could have done computer animation.... and back in the 1970s, long before computer effects were used in a major way, there had been segments where rooms were shown to be flooded). The many Bert and Ernie segments produced internationally all take place at either a park or in front of a blue background. And the thing that finally prompted me to talk about it in a forum post came after I saw a still from the recent celebrity version of Rubber Duckie, one that showed Bert and Ernie in what looked like a computer animated room (or it could have been illustrated... either way, they would have needed to use greenscreen) as opposed to their own apartment set (though I'm not sure if that was meant to be the living room or the bathroom... and a number of different bathroom sets have been used over the years).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a good question. Now that they're not playing the classic clips anymore, they're just using B & E in street scenes. They really should make some new inserts showing the apartment or maybe even a full street story.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seems like I recall seeing the inside of their apartment within the last two or three years, maybe, and it looked slightly updated . . . not sure how I would describe, since I'm only going by memory, but it didn't seem as "plain"-looking as it traditionally does. I'm sure Shane can either confirm or deny this.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the last we saw of their apartment was in the 2008 home video Count on Sports. Although, there were a few segments with the apartment made exclusively for the Dutch version of the show.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The last use I know of was the "I Wonder" song from 2010.

I don't think they've used it since because A. Steve's availability limiting their screen time and B. they've done stuff mainly for international usage and they're set in parks and such to make the look more universal.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The last use I know of was the "I Wonder" song from 2010.

I don't think they've used it since because A. Steve's availability limiting their screen time and B. they've done stuff mainly for international usage and they're set in parks and such to make the look more universal.
But now that Billy's performing Ernie I don't think Steve's availability would have that much to do with it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, but they're not using E&B as much now, so it doesn't matter that he has a new performer.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a big disappointment though. I thought that was the main reason for recasting him, so he could be used more.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
That's a big disappointment though. I thought that was the main reason for recasting him, so he could be used more.
It probably was the reason at the time in season 45. But then one year later in season 46 the format changed and now their main focus is on 6 characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe Ernie and Bert got evicted with Gordon, Susan, Maria, and Luis. Maybe Elmo and his daddy are the only ones who live in that building now.