Documentary in the works... please read!

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Hi ho, fellow Muppet fanatics!:smile:
Let me start out by saying that I really hope I'm posting this in the right place. I haven't been on this site in a while so bear with me.
Now to the business at hand: I have decided to take on a huge creative project, perhaps the biggest thing I've ever done in my short 19 years of life. I am going to be making an independent documentary about none other than our favorite long-haired Muppeteer, Steve Whitmire!
This is something I've decided to do in the past month or so, after watching "I Am Big Bird" and "Being Elmo" (both of which I highly recommend btw). I always have thought Steve had the most fascinating story of any of the Muppeteers, having come from the suburbs of 1960s Atlanta and become something as big as Kermit the Frog, what he is now. I thought, "they should make a documentary about Steve Whitmire." However, I feel that I am a highly creative person, with three years of television production classes and 11 years of acting experience under my belt, and so this turned into "heck, I should make a documentary about Steve Whitmire."
I am going to be making this film all by myself, as nobody else in my family is experienced with film/TV production at all, and those I know who are are in college or too busy now. Besides, I enjoy working alone most times. I have met the daughter of one of The Muppets on ABC's writers, so I am able to get in contact with Steve and whoever else I end up interviewing for this project (fangirling really hard as I type this - I'm just like you guys!). Once completed, I will enter the film in a festival of some sort, though which one I am not sure. If it is successful, then perhaps I will take it to Netflix or Hulu and ask them if they are interested in carrying it in their lineup.
That said, the time it will take me to complete this documentary is unknown, and very difficult to determine. Although I'm not in school this year, I am involved in several other clubs with my time, and my goal is to finish this film before I go to college next fall. I would appreciate if I wasn't hounded with questions about "how is the film coming?" and "when will it be finished?" all the time. I know it's exciting (why else would I be doing it?:wink: ) but I know you understand that I need to focus on one thing at a time. I will update you guys on any major developments in the project that arise in this thread.
I know I must sound like a wicked jerk right now, so I'll make it up to you: If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations of what you'd like to see in the movie, questions you might have for Steve or anybody else I'll be interviewing, or anything of this nature, PLEASE by all means, let me know. I would be honored to have you guys be a part of the production of this fabulous story of Steve Whitmire.

Love and peace to you all,
~Miranda (WemblinFool18)~ :flirt:

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Hi ho, fellow Muppet fanatics!:smile:
Let me start out by saying that I really hope I'm posting this in the right place. I haven't been on this site in a while so bear with me.
Now to the business at hand: I have decided to take on a huge creative project, perhaps the biggest thing I've ever done in my short 19 years of life. I am going to be making an independent documentary about none other than our favorite long-haired Muppeteer, Steve Whitmire!
This is something I've decided to do in the past month or so, after watching "I Am Big Bird" and "Being Elmo" (both of which I highly recommend btw). I always have thought Steve had the most fascinating story of any of the Muppeteers, having come from the suburbs of 1960s Atlanta and become something as big as Kermit the Frog, what he is now. I thought, "they should make a documentary about Steve Whitmire." However, I feel that I am a highly creative person, with three years of television production classes and 11 years of acting experience under my belt, and so this turned into "heck, I should make a documentary about Steve Whitmire."
I am going to be making this film all by myself, as nobody else in my family is experienced with film/TV production at all, and those I know who are are in college or too busy now. Besides, I enjoy working alone most times. I have met the daughter of one of The Muppets on ABC's writers, so I am able to get in contact with Steve and whoever else I end up interviewing for this project (fangirling really hard as I type this - I'm just like you guys!). Once completed, I will enter the film in a festival of some sort, though which one I am not sure. If it is successful, then perhaps I will take it to Netflix or Hulu and ask them if they are interested in carrying it in their lineup.
That said, the time it will take me to complete this documentary is unknown, and very difficult to determine. Although I'm not in school this year, I am involved in several other clubs with my time, and my goal is to finish this film before I go to college next fall. I would appreciate if I wasn't hounded with questions about "how is the film coming?" and "when will it be finished?" all the time. I know it's exciting (why else would I be doing it?:wink: ) but I know you understand that I need to focus on one thing at a time. I will update you guys on any major developments in the project that arise in this thread.
I know I must sound like a wicked jerk right now, so I'll make it up to you: If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations of what you'd like to see in the movie, questions you might have for Steve or anybody else I'll be interviewing, or anything of this nature, PLEASE by all means, let me know. I would be honored to have you guys be a part of the production of this fabulous story of Steve Whitmire.

Love and peace to you all,
~Miranda (WemblinFool18)~ :flirt:
PS: I haven't even told my real-life friends about this yet; besides my parents, you guys are the first to know! ;D

backpackmina

Reaction score
Well, about time! You don't know how excited you've made me!! Wish you the best of luck with everything!

Do you have a Kickstarter or GoFundMe?

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Cool! Although, making this particular documentary has been a dream of mine for the past few years. If you need any help, let me know.

I still have dibs on writing Steve's biography :big_grin:

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Well, about time! You don't know how excited you've made me!! Wish you the best of luck with everything!

Do you have a Kickstarter or GoFundMe?
I don't right now, however I am thinking about starting a Kickstarter and a Facebook page to get the word out :wink: I'm so glad you're interested!

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Good luck! I wish I was involved in this, but I am way too busy with school right now so unfortunately I cannot participate.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
Good luck! I wish I was involved in this, but I am way too busy with school right now so unfortunately I cannot participate.
That's perfectly understandable! If you ever wanted to, though, feel free to offer any suggestions or donate to my Kickstarter (once I get it fired up) ;D

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
That's perfectly understandable! If you ever wanted to, though, feel free to offer any suggestions or donate to my Kickstarter (once I get it fired up) ;D
Okay. I am not familiar with Kickstarter, but I will be very happy to offer you suggestions!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Kick starter is your first step. "I Am Big Bird" would not have been possible without it. You're going to need some budget, especially if you're going to complete it by yourself AND within a year's time.

To submit something to Netflix (or any other distributor), it will need some professional level. Some footage of an interview with Steve (or anybody else) can't just be shot on someone's phone (inaudible and shaky picture). You don't want your finished project to look like a poor man's "Blair Witch Project".

Another reason you'll need a Kick starter or some other funding: legal fees. When your project is done, and you want to be shown on the film festival circuit, or eventual video/TV/DVD/Blu-Ray release, you'll probably want to get PAID for your work. All the more reason to have good legal representation so you don't get screw3d over. Especially if you're not 21 yet.

I still want to see your dream become a reality. But part of that reality also entails knowing what you might encounter along the way.

I admire your enthusiasm and commitment. Go for it!