do you remember???

getup

Reaction score
ok...here's a question for all of you muppet show fans. do you remember there being a different opening than what is shown on most episodes that are released now? do you remember the middle of the song where statler and waldorf usually say "why do we always come here, i guess we'll never know...it's like a kind of torture to have to watch the show"...in the older version i remember kermit coming out and singing..."blah blah blah(i can't remember)...it makes me very happy, to introduce to you...ladies and gentlemen..."and he'd name the guest and go crazy...then the curtain would go up and show the guest and something would be going on...then they finished the song. also, i don't remember the whole it's time to get things started part being there always. but i could be wrong on that one...but does anyone at least remember kermit coming out and doing that???

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
OMG - Yes I do!! I used to love that version but when I bought a massive collection of muppet shows recently none of them had that opening. As they were muppet shows from all 5 seasons I found this a little strange. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I can.

Said version was how they did the credits in the first season. The arches with the lights around them came in the second season and stayed through the run of the show. From the TNT run onward, these opening credits sequences have been excised. I asked Henson.com, and the answer I got was that Jim preferred the later credits, since the first season ones were so low-tech. A description of the first season credits appears on the main site under the Guides section. You can still find them in private collections if you trade with people; I believe that the first season credits are still run on Dutch TV, or at least I know that they have been fairly recently. Jog, you wanna shed some light on that?

Hope I helped.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

getup

Reaction score
i thought something like that may have happened...yes that helped a lot. and i downloaded an mp3 of the version that has it. i remember what episode it was now too that i used to have on tape with this intro...after looking at the guide to season 1, i knew this beginning from episode number 2 with connie stevens. Vincent Price was from season 1. does the current issue of that episode have the original beginning? if so, i think that's awesome...or was that too late for that beginning???

let me re check the guide on that one

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Not even the home video copy of the Vincent Price episode had the original opening credits:frown:

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Okay Here's the lowdown on the first season opener compleate:

1: Kermit Would Pop out of the O and say "It's the Muppet show, with our very special guest , _________"

2: the red curtian, Choras girls, including Piggy and Janice in brown wigs, would come out from the left side of the stage and sing the first verse

3: Male choras (including a male pig and bobbity) come out from the right and sing the next verse dressed in the outfit gonzo usally wears on the show.

4: The Curtians would open and Fozzie would tell a joke (i.e: Thirty days was stemper, April,June., and my cousi fred who gets out next month"

5:Curtins close, and Kermit comes out and sings:

To Introduce our guest star, that's what i'm here to do, so it really makes me happy, to introduce to you Mr/Ms _______

6: Shot of the guest star, usally in the talk spot set with a group of muppets.

7. A Pyrimid rieses as the cast sings the last verse, with Gonzo on the top, just in front of a Muppet Show Sign.

8. Gonzo has a mallet and hits the O in "Show" like a gong. a gag insues i.e. he bops a monster who has popped up insted