Do you miss high school?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
how has real life compared to what you thought it was going to be when you were in high school?
I did have a very unexpected reaction going on to college. Suddenly the full weight of planning a future hit me and this sense of dread just decended that didn't go away for a long time. Just a worry that I wasn't good enough. That and being away from home for the first time, I just felt displaced and off. It was a very frightening thing to live with and I was afraid I'd never feel "right" again.

But I have realized over time that I'm more in charge of how things turn out in my life than I thought. I could choose to give into worry and doubt. Or I could choose to accept the feelings but not let them run things for me. : )

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
Junior High finished over thirty years ago: I missed Junior High but not High School, two different places evidently. I don't miss Juior High now, but I guess in a way I'll never leave.

A few weeks ago, I was back to the city I grew up in, and thought I saw a girl from Junior High: the tough and vivacious girl who asked ME to dance at one of the dances, a waltz, I who was considered no catch at the time, holding me close like I was the greatest boy on earth. I didn't say anything: I couldn't tell if it was her or not! I also realised, time marches on, the important thing is to live today and realise everyone is also struggling and slowly blossoming. I don't think she would have remembered me even if it was her!

The song we danced to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgTIPWQyzE

Pepe'sgal90

Reaction score
I have been out for about 3 years and have been in college since then....I REALLY HATED high school and I am glad to be out and to meet people who are more interested in the things I like.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I have been out for about 3 years and have been in college since then....I REALLY HATED high school and I am glad to be out and to meet people who are more interested in the things I like.
That's pretty much how I feel.

No, I don't miss high school in the least, I hated it. Which is one of the things that seperates me from my father, he loved high school and sometimes argues with me about having a different opinion on it. In fact, truth be told, I hated it so much, I NEVER brother buying a yearbook though out the whole four years. Some of my former HS buddies might be a bit surpised if they knew I hated it so much, because I was sort of the "class clown" and always loved making people laugh. But honestly, I wouldn't go back to HS even if you paid me and I'm always in need of money.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, I don't miss high school in the least, I hated it. Which is one of the things that seperates me from my father, he loved high school and sometimes argues with me about having a different opinion on it.
Something to take into consideration was that high school was considerably different in our parents' time... heck, school in general was different in our parents' time... when my parents were in school, it was just like on Leave it to Beaver; I've lost count of how many times my mother's compared her school lunches, that were actually meals consisting of real food actually cooked by the lunch lady, to my school lunches consisting of industrial pre-packed hot dogs, hamburgers, pizzas, chicken patties, that God only knows what they puit in them.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Something to take into consideration was that high school was considerably different in our parents' time... heck, school in general was different in our parents' time... when my parents were in school, it was just like on Leave it to Beaver; I've lost count of how many times my mother's compared her school lunches, that were actually meals consisting of real food actually cooked by the lunch lady, to my school lunches consisting of industrial pre-packed hot dogs, hamburgers, pizzas, chicken patties, that God only knows what they puit in them.
Yeah, excatly, but he doesn't quite seem to get that. There are still times where he can't believe that I never bought a HS yearbook or took a senior photo.

robodog

Reaction score
No. School was a horrible experience for me. It was so bad I now have a severe phobia of finding myself in a situation where I can't just walk away if I need to. I tend to panic in classroom situations now. Years ago I wanted to get into robotics. I gave up on that dream when I realized I'd have to go back to school in order to learn what I need to do it. Once I get into a classroom, bad memories start flooding back and I freak out.
School hurt me more than it helped me. I'd rather die than have to relive those days.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On the subject of yearbooks, the schools in this town had become incredibly cheap with them... the last time I hada somewhat decent yearbook was Grade 6, however, all of the photos were black-and-white (except for the seniors).

Grade 7, the school couldn't even afford to do yearbooks, so what they had us do was make our own: we basically stapled a few sheets of paper together, and were basically encouraged to take pictures of friends and classmates and such and paste them in.

Grade 8 was pathetic... they basically made a paperback book, and the first two pages lists all the students, teachers, faculties, with a corresponding "filename", and the other pages basically had these tiny black-and-white thumbnails with the filename underneath them, so that's how you were supposed to know who and who... andthat's it...

The co-op classes I attended during my high school years did yearbooks, and while they were cheap paperbacks as well, they at least put more time and effort into them; my first two years, they were made like spiral notebooks, but the format was pretty identical to those of nice, professionally made, hardback yearbooks... though a lot of the photos were still black-and-white, with the exception of some.My last year, the yearbooks were revamped, and were a lot nicer looking, and pretty much resembled the yearbooks I used to get in elementary school, and it was still paperback, but at least they used nice, photo paper for the pages this ime.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Meh, my high school's yearbooks consisted of class photos, one page of clubs, one page of pictures of various events, one page of "Person voted____" and then the rest of the book is individual collage pages that people bought for themselves and then whats left is ads. And these things were like 80 bucks. I only bought one during my senior year. Whats even more insulting is that I was on the yearbook team and MADE the yearbook and we did not get any discounts or special offers or anything. There was six of us. I dont think knocking off 10 bucks would have killed them. Or at least give us free personalization :/

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------
Wow. Guess I was lucky. My high school won state and national awards yearly for both the yearbook and the school paper (which started my brother in photojournalism). Yes, I had a yearbook all four years of HS (I've only kept the senior one)...and all were pro-bound, glossy-paged, half-in-color freakin' tomes that weighed about 5-6 lbs each! Yeah, only the teachers and seniors got color pics, but there were many other pages with photo essays as well as the standard buy-a-page-to-commemorate-you-and-your-narcissistic-buddies stuff and club-pages. I think they were about $25 a pop but this was the late '80s. Wouldn't be at all surprised if the quality went downhill after that, though, given what I saw of the stupidity of the county school board...

--------------------