Do you miss high school?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I feel more like that about Grammar and Middle School. There was so much bullying and cliquing that at times I just figured that's how most people were. High School wasn't perfect, but it was a ten times better experience for me.
The ENTIRE school experience was just awful for me.

Did you ever see that episode of the Simpsons where it was Bart's first day of preschool and the teacher kept singling him out for everything he did? That was basically the same for me. 90 year old, listless hags were all I knew in grade school, bullying through Middle School and High school. Just... just awful.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------------------------
I've never been to any of my high school reunions, nor would I go if they paid me to. Now, a drama club reunion party...maybe. Depends if it was held at my friend's out-in-the-boonies-with-no-neighbors place!

High school wasn't as bad as middle school ONLY because I finally had enough of the sh** constantly splatted upon me, learned to mock the Beautiful People, and found a small niche of other nerds just as weird as me. I was lucky to graduate before the place really took a dive for the worse in administration; one of my last acts there was to have my cartoon in the school paper censored simply because I and my co-author took a jab at the incoming principal and the school board's idiocy. I did have some good teachers, and the chance to take a lot of AP and Gifted stuff and graphics and even philosophy...and mad-science freaks for Chem and Physics, which was literally a blast (imagine Crazy Harry teaching Honors Chemistry!) :crazy: But overall...no. It sucked mightily and contributed vastly to my then-desire to die at 18.

Those films where adults are magically transferred into their offspring's bodies? I find nothing quite so abnormally hideous!
-------------------------------

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I definately miss high school (though not the homework or tests). Back when I was in ninth grade I realised that once you're out of school, things like weekends, summer, and holiday breaks are no longer as special (and I imagine it's the same regarding home school).

For most of my high school experience I enjoyed the attention I got from others, which hasn't been as good as after graduating. During lunch periods I'd often interract with many different groups of students, as opposed to being part of just one clique. I was pretty much a class clown throughout high school, I felt well-liked, I felt like most of my teachers were my friends, and even the people I disliked/hated/didn't get along with well were satysfiable. I do feel I should have been more popular (none of my high school yearbooks had more than one picture of me, and for some reason my student picture wasn't even in my last yearbook), and I often wish I took theater classes and whatever class it was that did the school news (the closest I took was a technology class which included some video projects, though it seemed to give more computer designing projects, and the people in my groups didn't seem to want to listen to me when I wanted to pitch my ideas for video projects).

Although I liked many of my classmates, I never hung out with any of them outside of school, and didn't have any information on contacting them (at the time there were no social networking sites I knew of). Still, after graduating high school I went to college for three years, and the interaction I got from my classmates wasn't as enjoyable (there were many times I tried talking to people who didn't seem to respond or care, even if I was trying to join in on their conversations), and my teachers felt more like bosses then friends.

Being able to get the attention of others (in person) seemed to be in it's prime during my high school years (especially twelth grade), and hasn't been the same since. I guess the only real bad thing there is that I didn't talk about Muppets to my classmates too often.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Back when I was in ninth grade I realised that once you're out of school, things like weekends, summer, and holiday breaks are no longer as special
I know what you're getting at, when I was a kid, being able to stay up late was something I always enjoyed whenever I got the chance... but now that I'm grown up, staying up late is not so fun anymore, because if I stay up too late, I sleep too late, and if I sleep too late, it throws off my whole day, then I'm cranky.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I definately miss high school (though not the homework or tests). Back when I was in ninth grade I realised that once you're out of school, things like weekends, summer, and holiday breaks are no longer as special (and I imagine it's the same regarding home school).
*Sigh* I hear you. Days off were exciting. Who knew what you might be able to discover or do? Now my weekends and such are spent running errands and doing laundry :/

newsmanfan

Reaction score
*Sigh* I hear you. Days off were exciting. Who knew what you might be able to discover or do? Now my weekends and such are spent running errands and doing laundry :/
So TAKE a day off at least once a fortnight! Forget chores and make it a day to do what you want to do, period...even if that's just sleeping in!

--------------------------

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
High school wasn't the absolute torture for me that TV and movies would have you believe it to be for artsy, geeky, plump girls in glasses like me. Most of my classmates were pretty nice to me, even if we weren't good friends, though my experience was peppered with the occasional jerk who was the exception to the rule. But even so, I can't say I miss it.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm tempted to say i don't miss high school itself...but i do dearly miss that TIME as it was during my upperclassmen years in high school and my time in collage that i can point at and specifically cite as the happiest time in my life - given that i've long suffered from severe depression (and have had a life that would have enabled to be severely depressed anyway looking over the last decade or so), to be able to look back at a time when i was generally much more happy than not meant a great deal. I had good friends, excellent teachers and i was thrilled when the challenges i had undertaken and excelled at (AP student in HS, went to college on a President's Scholarship...which was the only way i could have afforded it, took large amount of credits, worked a job and was involved with numerous theatre/music projects which was much like another job in itself and often was caught in the middle of wars with the respective drama and music departments as to which show i'd be available for) It was a time when the world seemed to be my oyster and i felt full of optimism and that the future looked like it would be grand. Compare that time to actual adulthood, continual hard luck and tragedy and ultimately being stuck in a place of financial ruin and no transportation and basically just filling in time til the end and yeah i dearly miss that timeframe if not high school itself. (I can easily say i miss college though)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------
And so a corollary is brought into play: how has real life compared to what you thought it was going to be when you were in high school? Clearly dw's had a worse time of things (very sorry dw -- is there no way for you to get back into theatre? clawing one's way to the top can be enjoyable if you like the performing aspect of it, and I sincerely hope you do and can)... what about everyone else weighing in here?

Personally, real life is both better and worse than I'd thought at 18. I was then highly suicidal, so in that respect life is better: I've learned to simply deal with what gets thrown at me, for the most part, and focus on what I do have and can achieve. Being in a job now wherein cliques have zero play is definitely better. Earning money and being self-sufficient is definitely better than the strings always attached to parental support! But there is that constant struggle to stay afloat, and the certainty that going up in the world in any way (financially, artistically, socially) is dependent solely on what I myself can make happen, period. Sartre was right: not having ANY sort of benevolent system to fall back on and being responsible completely for ourselves is definitely a shock to the system of every little kiddie marching out of school thinking they're ready to take on the world!
----------------------