Do you miss high school?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a little bit in the past few minutes what with my old high school starting classes tomorrow for the new school year. It's really a question to bring up: Do you miss high school?

It's been a little over a year since I graduated high school, a year ago my response about missing high school would have probably been different but now, I can say "absolutely not".

While my high school wasn't complete torture (with the exception of junior year, which I already talked about elsewhere on this forum years ago), looking back even a year later I can't help and look at certain things and say "Did I really do that?". I went to a really preppy school filled with really stuck-up rich kids ranging from band kids who would do nothing but brag about their trips to Europe and a football team that really wasn't that good but everyone seemed oblivious to that. A lot of people were nice to me, but the people who thought I was a weirdo made sure I wasn't welcomed at all. What can I say? Being a teenaged Muppet fan/puppeteer during a time when the Muppets weren't doing much was tough (though the entire school LOVES SpongeBob and obsesses about it frequently, hypocrisy? I think so). As a result, I was and still am very socially awkward.

On the other hand, the friends that I had were very loyal. I still hear from the old gang frequently and we always try to hang out when we're all home from college. Though when I do hear from others via Facebook after a long time, it's like there was nothing separating us. My teachers, too, were all great. My 10th grade English teacher (who I also had in middle school before he moved to the HS) probably made the biggest impact on me as a person and I still keep in touch with him often. In fact, when I went to go visit my old high school last year the day before Thanksgiving, I was more excited to visit my old teachers than I was to see my old classmates. My experience with teachers here is enough for me to desire seeking a teaching degree if puppetry doesn't work out. I was also heavily involved in my high school's theater department, acting in every show I could during those four years. There I created strong friendships that always pick up whenever we run into each other. There were some tears shed along the way though most of my favorite high school memories are from doing shows. Though I don't see myself on Broadway, in fact I'm not even interested in doing theater anymore, I had a blast there.

But those few positive things about high school aren't enough to make me miss it, especially since I can choose to stay in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with frequently. Sorry this turned into such a ramble but it's a question I really think about a lot over the past few days. So I hand the mic over to you to talk your high school experience and if you miss it at all.

LinkiePie<3

Reaction score
After graduating last June, no. I'm now happy to move on, elevate my dreams into reality (def). Social-wise, I really miss my friends. <3

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Nope. Can't say I do. I still talk to only one person, and have no desire to socialize with anyone else. I would like to visit a few teachers though

Katzi428

Reaction score
After being out of high school nearly 25 years (it'll be 25 years next June. Dang...I feel old!:eek:) I wish I could have done my senior year over. I had had a bunch of great classes lined up.But my guidance counselor had other ideas for me. There was this trade school where I could learn secretarial skills. I (stupidly) said OK. So I was in school for 3 periods of the day & the rest of the school day was spent in this trade school. It was called "Skills Unlimited". I learned diddlysquat from that place! :mad:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, I was only in high school for four weeks.

No, I didn't drop out, I was pulled out of public school after four weeks of high school, and was then homeschooled for the rest of my high school years; I did have to attend some co-op classes for more complicated subjects that couldn't be supervised at home (like math, science, and some electives) on a weekly basis. Just about the only thing I miss about the entire experience is my math teacher: he was wise old codger with a lot of horsesense, for four years, he was almost like a grandfather to me, and because of that, he actually made the one subject that I loathed the most a little more bearable... if fact, I almost cried that last day I saw him.

Now middle school on the other hand, that was three years of an adventure unto itself... I didn't go to any average school for middle school, my middle school was right smack dab in the middle of the ghetto, and I'm not kidding, we've had riots, fights, lockdowns, bomb threats, anything you could imagine. Theonly reason I went to that school in the first place was because I was refered to it; it wasn't my zoned school or anything, but many felt I was better suited for it, because this wasn't a regular "readin', 'ritin', 'rithmatic" school, this was a creative and performing arts school. I AM glad of some of the experiences I had, such as taking courses in things like web design, and most importantly video production and such, it just didn't have the environment that you would feel safe in, and I'm glad I made it out of there alive for three straight years. I've said it before, but it was like going to school with crowds of Alvins, Barts, Eddys, Squirrely Squirrels, and other trouble-making characters you can think of under the sun. At least I can say I don't believe I've ever really experienced or witnessed any racial tension during my time there, inspite of the different cultures (Blacks and Whites were the majorities, but there were also a handful of others like Russian, Hispanic, and a Hindu teacher). All in all, I don't miss it... I may miss some of the classes I took, like the video production class and such, but other than that. And I don't have to worry about missing the social structure, because I really didn't have any REAL friends there, acquaintances yes, real friends, no.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Funny, I just went to my High School reunion recently, lol. I will say overall, I don't miss the cliques or the homework. But I do miss the people. And I feel very fortunate to be able to say that. :smile:

And I'm glad I was able to get through it all to realize that there was indeed life after High School. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Middle School and High School are the ONLY reasons I'm glad I'm a grownup. I mean, I hated it... I really really hated them both. I'd see a hypnotist or someone to have my mind wiped clear of the entire event. Mid and High School ruined me. Really... I mean, the people, the teachers, they were all just AWFUL! I mean, really... just... I don't want to say anything negative, but that was SUCH a bad experience for me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Middle School and High School are the ONLY reasons I'm glad I'm a grownup. I mean, I hated it... I really really hated them both. I'd see a hypnotist or someone to have my mind wiped clear of the entire event.
I feel more like that about Grammar and Middle School. There was so much bullying and cliquing that at times I just figured that's how most people were. High School wasn't perfect, but it was a ten times better experience for me.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
No, not really. Sure I miss not having to drive and no pressure to get a job or pay bills and such, but... I was pretty much an outcast, and was alone most of the time. So, I don't really miss being alone :/