Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

Luke

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
I have to disagree with this. Jim Henson knew the dangers inherent if Disney had owned rights to the Sesame Street characters, and before he died he promised SW (then CTW) that they would be exempt no matter what the deal. And as far as having creative control over projects...doesn't Henson have that now as part of the deal? As I understand, consultation with the Henson company was one of the conditions of the deal. What makes you say that this wasn't the kind of deal he would have wanted?
Obviously i meant excluding the Sesame characters, i meant the "Jim Henson's Muppets" brand (Fraggle, Classic Muppets, Muppet Babies etc). The Henson's don't have creative control - they just have a development contract where they advise Disney for 4 years and a production contract where they make shows, under Disney control, for 3 years. This deal takes more of the power away from JHC, splits the properties and means that Disney can walk away from Henson. I can't say whether this was a deal Jim would have agreed to or not but it's quite different to the one he was working towards in his lifetime.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I don't think it is right for the Henson name to be separate from the Muppets. These will no longer be Jim Henson's Muppets. They will be Disney's Muppets. And that does not sit well with me.

The Henson Company will pretty much have no control over the Muppets at all. Once the 4 years are up they won't even have a say in what happens. The Henson kids have really made a fortune selling, buying back, and re-selling the Muppets. Didn't they buy back the Henson Company for a fraction of what they sold it for? Then they sold the Muppets and made back more than what they paid for the whole company! They made out like bandidts. Basically they have a free company and almost nothing left of their father's work. Sesame Street is long gone from Henson. The Muppets are as well. I'm surprised the Fraggle were kept. I imagine they want the merchendising profits first, then they will be sold to Disney. They didn't even keep the New York head quarters! Look at how they have destroyed the history and tradition of the company. It's shameful.

While I can understand that they need the money and the Muppet characters will likely live forever with Disney, it is sad to see all that history destroyed. And I hope the Henson kids have enough money now. I wouldn't want them to start selling blood or anything.

McFraggle

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Though if they wanted to fulfill their "father's dream" as they call it, they would have taken a drive to Burbank instead of a plane to Munich four years ago.
This is certainly true.

Disneys Muppets

Reaction score
I love the name Disney's Muppets. Its the best name I have ever heard of. Whats so great about Jim Hensons Muppets.

King Jim

Reaction score
Disneys Muppets said:
Whats so great about Jim Hensons Muppets.
Disneys Muppets,

Jim henson Created the Muppets and it has Jim Hensons Muppets name for almost fifty years. If they call them Disney's Muppets that would be like an insult to Jim Henson. Every one likes the name Jim Henson.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
You're one of those fans who, for whatever twisted reason, loves Eisner and thought Pressler was a great addition to the company, aren't you?

I only ask this because although Disney buying the muppets was the only real way for them to survive, saying that "Disney's Muppets" are better than "Jim Henson's Muppets" represents a strange way of thbinking...

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Disneys Muppets said:
I love the name Disney's Muppets. Its the best name I have ever heard of. Whats so great about Jim Hensons Muppets.
You don't want people to like you, do you?

baby sinclair

Reaction score
Disneys muppets whats wrong with you.How would you like it if warner bros bought mickey and the gang (which would'nt shock nor do i care about the rat :rolleyes: )and called them Warner bros mickey mouse and company.The fact is jim henson created the muppets and it should have his name on their brand no matter what happens.Disney never put one effort into making the muppets all they did was water it down and bored me with mcc and mti.If you think them changing the name to disney wont happen you better think again.Look what happend to doug now its called Disneys brand spanking new doug they ruined a great show with alot going for it.Lets face it folks muppets as the way jim brought them to us is gone.Disney is just going to toy with them for five years and then throw them in the attic with other great classics they've tamperd with.But in our heart us true fans will always remember the passion MUPPETS had for entertainment.This is just a rise in rodent supremacy.AMEN :big_grin: