Do you like Disney owning the Muppets?

WiGgY

Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of the Henson Company not owning the muppets. It just seems wrong, especially after it felt so right for the Henson Family to have control over the company again. It was like all was well, and then they sold the muppets, split them from the Henson name and that was that. Doesn't seem right.

King Jim

Reaction score
It makes me sad to see Disney owning the muppets. Its hard to see them and Sesame Muppets or Fraggle Rock not the same company anymore. I Don't want to see Disney's Muppets. I just wish they would keep them Jim Henson's Muppets. I don't want that to change. I hope Disney dosen't change the Muppets. Like they did with Doug. I hope they keep them the way Jim made them. :frown: :cry:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
i DONT mean to be a jerk... but come on guys lets ALL stop this *groans* ahhh i hate to see disney Muppets! :rolleyes:

See IF the Henson (kids) really didnt think Disney would be their "perfect" home then they wouldn't have done it right? and NO i know we're NOT going to see "The Muppet Movie 2" or whatever Muppet movies 2. I highly dought Disney will even do it! :wink:

The point is Disney has Kermit and pals forever, disney is NOT gonna sell them back, Disney isnt going to make part 2's of the orginal movies. Disney isnt goin to "ruin" the Muppets. They are gonna live on even MORE with Disney! You people complan that we dont see the Muppets on tv, film, toys or whatever then with Disney ALL these can happen. just think + and NOT - :halo:

When i was on the phone with Disney she said that they ARE in the works to have deals with Sesame Workshop, because i told her fans are "worried" abot MFC getting chopped up, and she said that wont happen! Me.... i cant wait to see what Disney has in store for us, and for the ones who dont see the "light" well then.... i dont know.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I would have liked it if the Muppets were owned by the Henson kids and not by another company. Besides, have you seen Disney lately? It's not as if they're the best company right now in Hollywood.

I also don't want to see Disney's Muppets. That right there would be a huge insult to the Jim Henson legacy.

ryan

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
When i was on the phone with Disney she said that they ARE in the works to have deals with Sesame Workshop, because i told her fans are "worried" abot MFC getting chopped up, and she said that wont happen!
Well, it's too late for that. The DVD version is already butchered (even though it's not Disney's fault). I don't expect MFC to be released in any form by Disney regardless of any partnerships with Sesame Workshop down the line.

Luke

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
See IF the Henson (kids) really didnt think Disney would be their "perfect" home then they wouldn't have done it right?
Bear in mind that what the Henson kids say in press releases is usually very carefully constructed to make everybody feel great about what they have done. It's easy for them to say this is the "perfect" home and this is what Jim would have wanted. The fact is that JHC had money and business problems so they really HAD to find another home if they were to have much success in the future. There are also people who think the Henson's didn't particularly want to keep the Muppets anyway because they were starting to be a bit of a weight around their neck when they wanted to concentrate on other things. They couldn't really say that in a press release that is supposed to be positive could they? Same goes with the "Jim" statement - what Jim really said he wanted was for his entire company (ie:- the entire Muppet world) to be owned by Disney, but for them just to act as investors and him having a lot of creative control and being in charge of the actual projects. The sale of the Muppets creates a similar deal but it isn't the culmination of the deal their father was working towards before he died.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Luke said:
what Jim really said he wanted was for his entire company (ie:- the entire Muppet world) to be owned by Disney, but for them just to act as investors and him having a lot of creative control and being in charge of the actual projects.
I have to disagree with this. Jim Henson knew the dangers inherent if Disney had owned rights to the Sesame Street characters, and before he died he promised SW (then CTW) that they would be exempt no matter what the deal. And as far as having creative control over projects...doesn't Henson have that now as part of the deal? As I understand, consultation with the Henson company was one of the conditions of the deal. What makes you say that this wasn't the kind of deal he would have wanted?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yes, Jim wanted his entire company and cast of characters (excluding Sesame Street, which was not part of the deal anyway) as part of the Disney company. That was the deal of 1990, an all-out merger.

This deal is just the selling of two important assets--Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House--to Disney. Not that I think that's disrespectful to Jim, but it is different from what he was negotiating before his death is all. So it is a bit of spin on the Henson family's part, but that's alright I guess.

Though if they wanted to fulfill their "father's dream" as they call it, they would have taken a drive to Burbank instead of a plane to Munich four years ago.