Do celebrities charge autographs now?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Just came back from a local comic book convention and got some autographed DVDs from a few heros of mine though I noticed that autographs are about $20 each. Though I can't complain, it's a little extra money in their pocket and I'm getting a change to chat with them a little bit and not hold up the line too much. lol Plus also there's some people who like to sell autographs they get from people on eBay, something I won't do personally. I remember I used to collect autographs in the mail, writing fanmail to some celebrities and got some autographs for free. So does Comic Con charge for autographs or do most celebrities just do this now a days. Again, I can't complain. I'd probably do the same if I were in there shoes just in case of someone where to sell it on eBay, but this was kind of new to me so I figure I'd ask around.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now? A lot of celebrities have been charging for autographs for YEARS now... frankly, I think it's wrong, however, SOME "claim" that the reason they charge is so they can donate the money to charities... but I think, like you say, it's just that little bit extra in their pockets, at the expense of their adoring fans.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Now? A lot of celebrities have been charging for autographs for YEARS now... frankly, I think it's wrong, however, SOME "claim" that the reason they charge is so they can donate the money to charities... but I think, like you say, it's just that little bit extra in their pockets, at the expense of their adoring fans.
Perhaps Hotel Food and TV whatever Hotel they are at as well. :stick_out_tongue: You know the old saying how some people don't bring huge amounts with them, so that could be another reason. Plus also I'm sure Comic Conventions gets a fair share some how since they get them, like we'll pay you and your publicist this much and you can keep the autograph money or something like that. Or they take 10% of the autographs, however they split it up perhaps. Plus I'm sure Celebs and Artists are probably bothered when they are in public. lol I heard a funny story from someone I meet, had a friend take him out to Dinner and he found Mel Brooks in a resterant dressed like he was homeless so no one could reconize him. He goes and bothers Mel and introduces him to this guy and Mel replies sarcasticly "So what's new with you, oh yeah that's right. Your an accountant right?" Then the two guys left Mel alone. Simular story about Groucho Marx I heard somewhere where someone bothers Groucho to insult his mother and Groucho kind of tired in a restarant says "I feel sorry for your mother, she gave birth to you." lol But I guess the person took a hint and a laugh with them. lol
I remember Frank Oz said once "The advantage of being a puppeteer is that no one knows who you look like or what you do, so you can buy a can of beans without being bothered, but unless you want to be bothered..."lol I think that was from the Muppets & Men Documentry.

Though It can seem like it's taking advantage of fans, though I think it's manly business with whereever they are in and a little something in their pocket. Plus it's a rough biz after all, shows can get canceled unexpectedly, a movie can end production, etc. So I guess it's harder for artists then say visual starts like Tom Cruse or Justin Bieber. lol

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I have a ton of Muppet performers/Henson alumni's autographs and none of them ever charged me money for their autographs, though I would have willingly give them money if they asked. :stick_out_tongue:

But I guess it depends on the circumstance, I know voice actress Tara Strong charges money for autographs that are being signed on photos her agent prints out but if you went up to her with a Powerpuff Girls DVD or something, she'll sign it without being paid. So it really depends.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Used to love going to the Chicago comic con and getting autographs...Alex ROss, Kevin Smith, Sean Astin...and many others all signed for free about 10 years ago...even 5 years ago now that I think about it...the last time I went 2 years ago most were charging (Go Peter S. Beagles for free though).....it seems like that is the trend...aand the big name actors like Bruce cambell wouldn't even sign unless you prebought rather expensive tickets for them....that being said I got an autograph from Steve Whitmire in the mail from one of mys tudents and he didn't charge a thing....

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yep, my experience at Dragon*Con is that most everyone you'd want to get an autograph from or take a picture with will charge ya for it. I rarely buy 'em 'cause, well, it seems chintzy to me. Oh, they have a right to charge; I just have the right to decline to buy.

Lou Ferrigno was the first I remember charging for autographs. He'd ask $20 back when everyone else was signing for free. Now it's rare to get a free autograph. And the last time William Shatner was at D*C he was asking $70 a pop! Fer cryin' out loud, I don't care how big a name you are, that's just gouging.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Some of the blame lies with the fans. Sports and entertainment memorabilia has become big business. Many so called fans are there to get autographs only so they can turn around and sell them on e-Bay. Why should the star not profit in the selling of his autograph?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
but if you went up to her with a Powerpuff Girls DVD or something, she'll sign it without being paid. So it really depends.
I got some DVDs signed and I had to pay for it, one voice actor split the price in half for me which was really nice of them. :smile:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Yep, my experience at Dragon*Con is that most everyone you'd want to get an autograph from or take a picture with will charge ya for it. I rarely buy 'em 'cause, well, it seems chintzy to me. Oh, they have a right to charge; I just have the right to decline to buy.

Lou Ferrigno was the first I remember charging for autographs. He'd ask $20 back when everyone else was signing for free. Now it's rare to get a free autograph. And the last time William Shatner was at D*C he was asking $70 a pop! Fer cryin' out loud, I don't care how big a name you are, that's just gouging.
And that of course isn't the full total of garage parking, admission fee, etc. lol It totally adds up, but I still had a good time. Though what's kind of disapointing is even though fans meet celebrities face to face, you only got about 2 - 3 minutes to chat with them so you don't hold up the line. So when I was meeting a few of my heros today, I thought ahead of time the most important questions I wanted to ask. But sometimes when your face to face with them, I personally feel so nervously frozen and my mouth is num that it's so hard to say something. lol I remember meeting some of the Muppeteers at Muppetfest, I forgot Jerry Nelson's first name, I called him Nelson. lol Even when I meet Caroll Spinney to get my book signed, I was so nervous that my mouth was dry. lol But it all comes out to be a beautiful memory at the end. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had no idea that celebrities actually charged autographs (I know that some refuse to give them. Many years ago I read a newspaper article about celebrities who do and don't give autographs, and it mentioned one in particular who has body guards who prevent fans from asking).

Then again, I don't have any autographs from any really big celebrities. Just a number of basketball players and Bill Byrge (Bobby from the Ernest movies... He actually came to my school one day when I was in the fifth grade). A couple weeks ago I went to a Weird Al Yankovic concert and had hoped to attend a meet-and-greet and get his autograph, but I didn't (I'd be surprised if Weird Al would charge for autographs). Oh and I have a number of autographs from Disney characters from the last two times I went to Walt Disney World.

This reminds me of an episode of My Brother and Me where the characters went to the comic book shop because a sports star was there signing autographs. I'm not sure if the store was actually charging, but at one point when Dee Dee's friends said they didn't have anything for the star to sign, the owner pointed out she had some pictures, but then charged for them (but of course that character seemed to charge for everything). And afterwards the celebrity was asked to participate in some community fair where he signed autographs for money, but I figured that's because the fair was raising money for charity.