Disney Set to Bid for Muppet Parent Henson--Sources

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, I think some of y'all are over thinking this. Ultimately Disney wants the Muppets. They are being smart, but they'll get them. 95% sure about that. Not that I agree with a Disney buyout. Just feel that's the way it's going to be. The long term benefits outweigh the price tag. It will ultimately be a bargain.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
One thing that I would like Henson to tacke for Disney is "The Wind and The Willows". Disney has the film rights and supposely the director of Blade II, Mimic, and the upcoming Hellboy will direct.

I must much rather see Brian helm the project with all creature show charaters. Steve could be Mr.Toad. Eric, Mr.Mole.

tygerbug

Reaction score
I doubt it could be better than the excellent (and pretty recent) version by Monty Python's Terry Jones ... starred Steve Coogan, Eric Idle, and Jones ... anyone see that? Came on video here called Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Me HAPPY!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (screaming around the house!) ahhhhh Yessssssss yes! I'm sooo HAPPY right now! No I mean it really happy this has to be the BEST Christmas (news) gift of all!!!

I can see it know GIANT Muppets roming around Disney World Disney Land, Muppet Dolls at the Disney Store, Muppet Babies, FR and BITBBH and Hoobs on Play House Disney, The muppet Show and Muppet Movies on ABC, abc family and Disney Channel or FR on abc Family and the cartoon as-well. :stick_out_tongue: :stick_out_tongue: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin: :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Ultimately Disney wants the Muppets. They are being smart, but they'll get them. 95% sure about that.
I don't think it's that straightforward, though i agree that maybe the analysis has gone a little too far in some areas but there are quite a few things here which don't add up - it does seem like IMO something significant has been going on behind the scenes. The people's perception around here because the only Henson news they see or hear about is what's published here is that this article has broken and now all of a sudden Disney will be coming from nowhere and making a bid of $135 million and they'll win so that's that. It just doesn't happen like that though in 'real life', and it's unlikely that the article is 100% accurate - lots of things get leaked to the media around the time of these auctions - it's just one company trying to out psych another.

I agree that Disney may have an interest in the Muppets, but probably more for the rock bottom price than them actually having significant plans for them. I don't think they have this all out desire to own them - if it goes cheap enough then fine but if for some reason they didn't win i don't think they will lose sleep. I also don't believe it's inevitable that Disney will win or even follow through with the bid - there have been plenty of rumors from very good sources that they were looking seriously at a co-production or licensing deal with one of the smaller bidders - i don't think it's over thinking the situation to suggest this could just be a strategic move by someone. Personally, i'd like to see Disney own Henson as i think it'd be a secure future for the company and create some great opportunities but this whole sale situation doesn't scream Disney at me just yet - we have all this alleged cloak and dagger stuff now, we had all the sillyness before about Disney allegedly trying to schmooze with Henson and the Muppeteers which i'm pretty sure was just fantasy - they have no need for any of this, they know the other companies aren't in a position to outbid them and they could probably get Saban to back out. To be honest they could have snatched this company up cheaply a long time ago, there are obviously reasons why they have faltered all along and probably would rather have the Muppets without all the mess to sort out that'll actually go along with owning them. I dunno - it just wouldn't suprise me if this whole thing dragged on into Jan/Feb and maybe then Disney bid just failed to matierialise.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree, but that's cool. I think Disney has been waiting in the wings like a caroon vulture the whole time. This report isn't new news. It's always been the biggest option. So many offers have come and gone, but the mouse remains interested. I feel they really want to add the Muppets to their stock of characters more than any other company. They won't overpay, but they will pay more than whatever the "final bid" is from another company if it doesn't go insanely high.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I think Disney has been waiting in the wings like a caroon vulture the whole time. This report isn't new news. It's always been the biggest option. So many offers have come and gone, but the mouse remains interested.
I agree they've always been waiting in the wings and watching on, but not in a 'whatever it takes' kinda situation. EMTV have had two (mostly unreported) serious offers in the past year that fell just short of success at the last minute - it's wierd that Disney at that time would just have been looking on as the Muppets were sold to someone else if they were so enthusiastic. I guess maybe the internal problems have played a big factor in the past and even right now - i notice that the language of the new article that's been posted has been toned down heavily and now only suggests that Disney are mulling over whether to bid or not. It does pretty much go against the Disney board's internal strategy right now of trying to sort out the problems at home first. I still see all this sale stuff dragging on, with or without the mouse, but right now i think it's the best option for all if they can pull it off.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think the sale will happen soon. I also don't think the internal Disney problems are as dire as they make them out to be. Some believe that they have exaggerated their problems for several reasons. They want to justify layoffs that are not really necessary. There is also a power play for Eisner’s position. Some people are upset with the (traditional) animation division after Katzenberg left. I think Disney wants some new blood. I know Disney wants to show more strength in their catalog of characters with all the competition these days and Eisner wants to right that wrong. I don’t feel the current “problems” have much to do with this issue.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
hmmm

i don't know if i think disney would be a good company for the muppets....i go both ways here are my arguments for both sides

GOOD:
Disney could really get some money for movies and advertising power behind the muppets
Disney is probably smart enough to let the muppets go pretty much as they are (disney's messed up stuff before, i think they have learned)
Disney is pouring tons of money into these box office SMASHES that SMASH they know that the muppets pull in a decent amount of $ (and we know that's all they care about)

Bad:
I just don't like Eisner.......he's messed up Disney so much I don't know why they don't kick him out
Disney might stand in the way of the Muppet revolution.....ooh i wouldn't like that....
Let's face it DISNEY CAN NOT WRITE GOOD SCREENPLAYS ANYMORE! They don't realize that people want humor, not serious stuff...that's why their last good movie was Lilo and Stich, and before that it was Emperor's New Groove (ooh i just love it!) we go to movies to escape their problems.....not make new ones...

so in conclusion i say disney can be a good parent company for the muppets...if they don't interfere

well i think that's all the Disney bashing i can do for one night.....-Sarah