1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney in talks to buy Muppets

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Mar 7, 2003.

1. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

DrGoshposh: Hey, what kinda puppet do you use for your avatar?

I'm not crazy about Disney, either. What can you say about a dump that produces "Snow Dogs?"

I wish a big outfit would buy them. Heck, there are probably a bunch of private millionaires who could buy them. Steven Jobs of Apple could buy them. There are lots of wonderful possibilities, but none of them are showing up, and sadly, we get small-time weasels and a giant moron called Saban:rolleyes:

Until someone cool shows up, Disney is the lesser of the evils we've seen so far. It's sad:cry:
  2. DrGoshposh

DrGoshposh New Member

Sid

My avatar is the Flub-a-dub from the Howdy Doody Show. The Flub-a-dub is eight animals in one. He has a duck's bill, a cat's whiskers, a cocker spaniel's ears, the neck of a giraffe, the body of a dachshund, a seal's flippers, a pig's tail and the memory of an elephant. He was created by the show's writer/resident genius Eddie Kean who later said that the budget was only big enough for one animal puppet, so he made the most of it. Flub's a great character.

Sorry, I have an over abundance of Howdy Doody trivia in my head, and need to let it out every now and then.

Scott
  3. sidcrowe

sidcrowe New Member

DrGoshposh: Well, there's no better place for that trivia than here ;)
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

GoshPosh,

Create a thread called "Howdy Doody Appreciation Thread" in General Discussion!! I didn't realize that about the character in your avatar!!

Cool.

FOZ
  5. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Again, everyone: valid points criticizing Disney. But if not them, who?? Disney diplomatically said "we're one of many" in the article, but so far as we know, they're the only ones in the running. The company that currently owns them hates them and wants to get rid of them. That's not a situation they can stay in for long. At least I wouldn't want them to.

I don't think anyone's been blasting Valentine, at least not recently, and not in regards to this thread. (Valentine's press release fails to impress me, though; that's what they ALL say during the buyout process.) Valentine didn't go away because anyone criticized him at any point on this website. Valentine went away because he couldn't get anyone to cough up an even paltry sum for the Muppets with him. And continuing to praise him won't bring him back.

As for Disney, they aren't going to buy the Muppets just to bury them. That makes no sense. They want to make as much money as possible off of whatever they own. Sure, their other departments are struggling right now, but that's *why* they would want to bring in something new and fresh (for them) and see if they can generate some revenue from it.

Of course, we all wish Jim had bought Disney back in 1985 so we wouldn't have to be going through all of this. But there's nothing that can be done about that now. The ball must be played where it lies.

And for that matter, there's no playing we can do that will affect where they end up anyway. I'm glad we had this discussion, but I do hope we all keep in mind that our friendships, and mutual appreciation of the Muppets, are far more important than studio politics that we have no control over anyway. (So far, we all HAVE remembered that. I just think it's good we remind ourselves every now and again. Even I need to hear it.)

I think I need a nap.
  6. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

And just the mere possibility that The Muppet Show or Fraggle Rock might return to TV for the first time since August 2001 should make anyone rejoice.

That, and it was two years ago today since EM.TV announced their intentions, so this rollercoaster must end before EM.TV sells another Henson asset.

And I just took a nap, so I can go all night... :sleep:
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I feel if Sesame were part of the deal, Disney would have already snatched them up. :concern:
  8. Fozzie Bear

I hope irony isn't lost to us...

Disney is a capitalist demon that must be destroyed!!

(Grabs up bee bee gun, slingshot, and some gravel! Runs out the door with a battle yell)

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!

(Comes back in.)

It's raining. Nevermind.

(Turns on Lion King.)

I think we realize it's inevitable that the JHC is going to ultimately get devoured into the Disney mix, and if it isn't soon it'll be in the future.

The worry exists that we will lose the "Jim Henson" part of The Muppets' name and see "Disney" slapped on it. Not only that, but to recap the fear that they'll sugar-coat-Disney-ize the Muppets and suck away all their creativity and make the Muppets be "Disney" stock. Not to mention that it's already been pointed out that there are folks whose jobs are at stake.

Then again, Disney does have a tendency to drag things out either in corporate purchases or titles:
    "Disney presents: Jim Henson's Muppets" (as someone pointed out) would be acceptable if they have to put their stamp on it.

Like I said before:
    Officially, I'm against it, period.
    UNLESS Disney gets them and gives them creative freedom.
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I think that Disney can do some good with the Muppets. They did make MTI and MCC.
  10. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

[sigh] No they didn't. :rolleyes:
  11. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

Re: I hope irony isn't lost to us...

that's the exact same way I feel

Sarah
  12. sunday

sunday New Member

i think we should all join our own company and buy henson. lol

sigh. i just..i dunno. i have mixed feelings about disney. i dunno what they would do to it.
  13. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

New proposal: We all form our own company and buy the Creature Shop. Muppet links or not, that company does cool stuff.

And, here's my take on what Disney should do once and if actually, after all these years and rumors, they sign the papers, pay the money, and succeed in buying the Muppets.

In no particular order:

1. Whatever you do, continue with the new Muppet show (if that's indeed still happenin'). I can't see Disney canning that just because it's not on ABC. Touchstone-produced "Scrubs" is on NBC, and it's doing very well.

2. Air at least The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock (not to mention the specials) on Disney Channel or ABC Family. Put the two most beloved Henson series (AND the specials) on the air.

3. Though it may take time, announce whatever theme park attractions you may have planned. I read that Eisner and Jim conceived Muppet*Vision 3D the night before they announced the merger. So hopefully there'd be brainstorming this time.

4. Take care of all Disney-Muppet appearances now. As in, let Eisner, Mickey, and Kermit sit in front of the large Muppet mural in NY; Eisner and Kermit open or close the bell at the NYSE; and other things like that. Then let the Muppets do their thing within the Disney circle. (Man, I got ideas)

Soooo, no thought to follow that. :p
  14. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

I agree that someone with strong creative vision and good marketing savvy needs to be in charge of the Muppets. Not the people responsible for the direct-to-video cheapquels. But also not the people at the Henson company, since they're the ones who have made all the miscalculations over the past decade. That's not a personal attack, nor am I saying that anyone should be fired. The Henson Company should work for Disney (or whomever) with one person at the top who can bring fresh ideas to the franchise.
  15. Fozzie Bear

I could use a job.
  16. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

I could use a hobby.
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

In short: We're boned.

To lenghten my speah...

Yes, JHC has had a few failures, but come on... I'd rather see KSY (even if I wasn't a fan) than 102 Dalmations, or Cinderella 2 (we have to give Disney credit for this... they made a movie from the stupidest idea ever, the end of a fairy tale), or MFS than Treasure Planet (you set the whole thing in outer space, big honkin' deal!)

Walk into a Disney Store... they have mounds and mounds of unwanted, unsellable Country Bears/ Treasure Planet toys. If you scoop up all the unsold Piggy and Kermit figs, they don't even measure up to unsold... whoever the heck were in those two lame movies. And they are like Marked down well over 50% off. As a friend of mine once said, "tumbleweeds!"

And the live action films are almost as bad as the cheapquals. 102 dalmations was infinantly worse than the cheapest cheapqual. I still see toy stores with tons of unsold 102 toys.

And as for Pixar ditching Disney, I dunno. I mean, on one hand, it's a good way to stick it to the mouse. On the other hand, they won't make as much money off their features. (Plus, they can't hide Toy Story, Bug's Life, or Monsters Inc characters in the background anymore!) Plus the collectibles (I love collecting toys, especially from my favorite cartoon shows and movies) will be impossible to find....:smirk:
  18. Hat Sharpener

Hat Sharpener New Member

Pixar

Anyone want to take a minute to clarify Pixar's exact deal with Disney for some of us?

It seems to me that over the last few years Pixar has been making the best stuff to have "Disney" stamped on it.

However, I do remember reading stories about development of the original Toy Story that would scare the pants off of Henson fans... Disney was throwing their weight around a ton on that one. Pixar had to fight hard to prevent it from becoming a musical, etc... or at least that is my recollection...

I'm just wondering if a JHC/Disney relationship could ever be anything like the Pixar/Disney relationship, and not knowing much about such things, I'm probably comparing apples to oranges...

- Derek
  19. danielromens

danielromens Member

Dr. Tooth writes...

>>>And as for Pixar ditching Disney, I dunno. I mean, on one hand, it's a good way to stick it to the mouse. On the other hand, they won't make as much money off their features. (Plus, they can't hide Toy Story, Bug's Life, or Monsters Inc characters in the background anymore!) Plus the collectibles (I love collecting toys, especially from my favorite cartoon shows and movies) will be impossible to find....<<<

On the contrary my friend. You forget that Pixar has the financial backing of Steve Jobs, not to mention a so far spotless record in movie making. They will have no problem lisencing thier work. They are the current leader in film animation in my opinion and their are people all over hollywood who would probably agree. They have stars all over the place who want to be part of their work. Disney has seen their leaving as a huge threat to their animated work. Not to mention, look how many people think Disney has owned the Muppets since 1990. I'm willing to bet a lot of people will feel the same of Pixar and go to see the movies just for that alone.

Also look at movies like Shrek and Ice Age. Their merchandise was seen all over the place and they are disney. Also as for having thier characters in the backround, I'm pretty sure Jobs and Lasseter worked out a deal where they also own at least 50 percent of the rights to anything they produce.

Again, don't worry friend, they will have no problem finding people who want to get rid of their merchandise.

Also quite simply they will always be billed as the directors of Toy Story, Bug's Life, and Monsters Inc. They will be far from forgotten.
  20. Fozzie Bear

Not to mention that our own Karen Prell works there as well as performing Muppets! And her husband Mike, too.