Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Just to get an idea of what to expect, is there more or less sexual stuff that Superbad? (which I happen to love)
It's really about the same. Being that "Superbad" is a film about teenage boys, it's natural that there's a necessary, overly exaggerated emphasis on sex. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", by the same token, is a film about adults dealing with different sexual situations, so it's considerably more graphic in terms of what you actually see.

In essence:

"Superbad" talks about it a lot.
"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" has a lot of it.

It's a great movie, guys! Get out there and see it!

beaker

Reaction score
Just to get an idea of what to expect, is there more or less sexual stuff that Superbad? (which I happen to love)
Heh...Superbad is an episode of Martha Stewart compared to Sarah Marshall...a lot of the movie is frank graphic discussion or portrayal of sex. Again, given I know there's a lot of family oriented people/sensitive folks, I thought I'd give fair warning:smile:

It's pretty darn funny tho...I was surprised at all the JHC related references. And yes, I LOVED Superbad...Jonah Hill is quite awesome(I hope he's in the Muppet movie)

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Why is everyone so hung up on sex? It's a reality, talking/joking about it is fun! Closeting, hiding and supressing sex is so 50's...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone so hung up on sex? It's a reality, talking/joking about it is fun! Closeting, hiding and supressing sex is so 50's...
You're right. People play the most violent and bloody video games where points are awarded for brutality and humiliation (like Grand Theft Auto) but a little bit of sex is still taboo in this country. I remember when the television program Three's Company was considered risqué so things have loosened up a bit. I remember Senator Lieberman stating in 2000 that he felt the program Friends should be shown after 10 pm due to its explicit content. :batty:

I look at sex, violence and other taboos in media as I do the work of Richard Pryor. If it works, it's not hurting people and there's good momentum behind it - go for the gold! I doubt the Segel-driven Muppet script will be snarky. He seems to know the Muppets as well as contextual humor. I still think of him as Marshall from How I Met Your Mother. A sweet character that actually believes in the Loch Ness monster and calls her “Nessy”. I have no doubts that this is - the guy! :cool:

I also didn’t notice the Sarah Marshall Muppet Central link. Wonder if he’s reading the forums or if he’s seen his picture on the home page? :zany:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I saw an interview with him and Sarah yesterday, and he was talking about the Puppet scene, and was asked if he had a Puppet fetish. He repleid, "Actually, I'm writing the script for the next Muppet Movie." And the acress of Sarah said, "Yeah, guess whose in a scene with Miss Piggy."

I think it was a joke, but so awesome that she and he had so obviously been discussing the Muppets because she chatted about Miss Piggy so lightly.

Also, he said that a puppet musical was his "dream". Maybe he could do a Muppet one instead, say I. I think songs will def. be in there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right. People play the most violent and bloody video games where points are awarded for brutality and humiliation (like Grand Theft Auto) but a little bit of sex is still taboo in this country. I remember when the television program Three's Company was considered risqué so things have loosened up a bit. I remember Senator Lieberman stating in 2000 that he felt the program Friends should be shown after 10 pm due to its explicit content.
I could get on the rant, but I'll just touch it up here. I feel the way they handle animation is a complete joke, because both violence and sex is heavily edited on more adult cartoons, while you can be a lot more graphic in the same adult medium, if it's live action. Reminds me of an unaired Ren and Stimpy Adult Party I heard about. They wouldn't allow topless animated women, but the same network allowed topless live action women.

So, my entire rant is basically about how hypocritical and antsy everyone gets, yet, they purposly buy their kids games and movies without looking at the ratings. I'm putting this to bed here because it deviates from the topic.

But, Sarah marshal is an R rated film. No children under 17 without a parent. So take that into consideration, folks.

I look at sex, violence and other taboos in media as I do the work of Richard Pryor. If it works, it's not hurting people and there's good momentum behind it - go for the gold! I doubt the Segel-driven Muppet script will be snarky. He seems to know the Muppets as well as contextual humor. I still think of him as Marshall from How I Met Your Mother. A sweet character that actually believes in the Loch Ness monster and calls her “Nessy”. I have no doubts that this is - the guy! :cool:
As one of them said in an interview, they want to give it a G or a PG rating. They know as muppet fans they can both appeal to older fans, all the while keeping parents and kids happy. They didn't want any Girls gone Wild, or puppet {privates} in the film, so, safe to say, we're going to have a family friendly film here. i doubt we'd even see so much as a PG rated sexual innuendo in the course of the script. Not even a G rated one.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Yall like my new Singnature?
Forgetting Mrs. Piggy Now why does that sound like a good name for the new Movie?
LOL, cool. I just saw FSM last night and it ROCKED! The wife and I loved it, laughed through the whole thing. Yeah yeah, all the raunchy humor, moreso than Superbad (which we also LOVED!), but so what? Everything had an underlying sweetness to it, and all the Muppet references were just icing on the cake. Great flick. Anyone who can handle language and sex stuff should definitely see it.

Oh yeah, I was thinking about movie titles just like you Dwayne, I told my wife it would be cool if they named it simply "The New Muppet Movie". What other titles has anyone else came up with?

Really really can't wait. I loved Jason in that one episode of ALIAS which was my only reference to him before, but now I find myself wanting to watch HIMYM, and anything else that'll give me a more complete idea of him as a writer/actor. Kudos of course to Stoller who directed, can't leave that guy out at all!

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to add that Mila Kunis was BRILLIANT in this! We loved her before from 70's show, but seeing her in a movie setting was so completely different than a sitcom. Really glad it was her who gave Peter his motivation. Oh, and seeing Drew & Victor & the gang at the end was awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.