Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meepsterboy

Reaction score
...FINALLYYYY! :excited:
I wait and wait for Diz to do something with the Muppets, and they're finally doing something! I just hope it's in with a bang rather than out with a whimper...
:crazy:: Did somebody say bang?
*KABOOM!*

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
YAAAAY! It's something! I do hope this is good stuff. Can't wait to see what happens down the line concerning this new movie however.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Hmm..I don't like ether of their styles of movies that much so my hopes are not too high :stick_out_tongue:
Of course anything new is good but I have had too many of my beloved characters of other fandoms made into films lately that were less than wonderful :frown:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't end up as one of these:
"Piggy Montana"
"Muppet School the Musical"
"101 Muppets"
"Piggy Poppins"
"The Frog & the Hound"
"The Frog Prince 2: Taminella's Revenge"
"Pepe In Wonderland"
"The Great Muppet Detective"
"The Pepe's New Groove"
"Janice And Stitch"
"Brother Bear 2: Fozzie Checks In"

Heh you get the idea of what I don't want to see Disney do.

12345elo

Reaction score
Meh... I'm excited for the possibilities, but also nervous. I'm just not sure the Disney brass really understands the Muppets or what would constitute a *good* Muppet script. I think they know a lot about what constitutes a good "kid movie" script, and occasionally a good "family movie" script, but the great thing about the old school Muppets style (tv show and first three movies, at least) was that it was kid friendly while still maintaining a level of humor that was entertaining on an adult level, and not in a pandering sort of way. I have only loved one post-classic Muppet movie, which was MTI, and I'm not even sure it entirely fell in line with that older Muppet style. I worry that Disney skews a lot of their modern live-action entertainment towart the "'tween" audience. I just don't want to see a Muppet movie with cameos by Miley Cyrus, Raven, Zack & Cody, etc. But, regardless, I remain cautiously optimistic. Maybe these guys will have a better understanding of what the Muppets should be.

~ Elo

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Segel did "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" which hasn't been released yet. The buzz is that there is a puppet sequence and it sort of makes the film. Also, a lot of critics are liking the film.

Disney has an incredible management team and i'm sure they are looking for a fresh spin as the Muppets so desperately need.

I think Segel & etc. went into that meeting and knocked it out of the park and were hired on the spot... Those are all clear, great signs in Hollywood that they've got something!

:smile:yayayayyayay!

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Helloooo everybodyy!

I was SO PSYCHED to hear this news, and I come here (I'm not REALLY supposed to forum-post at work) and so many people are already so worried about it. Be happy! The cup is half-full not half-empty!

I know that you look at Jason Segel and see that he's one of the Apatow gang and get nervous, but does anyone here watch How I Met Your Mother? Jason plays Marshall, who is pretty much the sweetest character on tv today, and if you listen to the commentary you can see that Jason is just the same.

Obviously "Sarah Marshall" humor is NOT Muppet humor, but it IS good enough for Apatow and studio execs and it predicted to be a big hit. So after this movie hits Jason will have a solid writing credit to his name--something that can only help the new Muppet movie if his name is attached.

Another thing that makes me excited about it is that he approached Disney about it. They didn't court him. That's got to mean that (a) he's a Muppet fan, (b) he wants them to make a big comeback and (c) he believes in himself. I think it's an absolutely brilliant choice. He's old enough to remember/have experienced the Muppets at their classic best, but he's young enough that he knows what works today and, no offense to the wonderful people in the Muppet family, recently they haven't seemed to make the Muppets work for the new generation (coughMWoOcough). I think it could work wonderfully and---and this can only be a good thing--it puts attention back on the Muppets again! When "Sarah Marshall" is a big hit--and it will be--it'll be said that Jason Segel is currently working on __________, _________ and writing a new movie for the Muppets.

So please, do not be so dismayed, people. Watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother (Seasons 1 & 2 available on DVD, yay!) and see the less-Apatowish side of Jason Segel. My recommendation would be "Slap Bet" or "Goodbye, Fiyero".

PS: I can't wait to see the puppet Dracula scene in "Sarah Marshall"!

anytimepally

Reaction score
First of all, I am excited. Second of all, I know he's really busy, but I wish Brian would direct

beaker

Reaction score
According to the article, Segel pitched Disney a concept so it must be pretty strong for the Disney brass to greenlight the writing of the script. I don't care if who's writing the script as long as it's good. I don't think Disney was in any hurry to do a major Muppet project, so the idea that they are showing enthusiasm may say wonders about the concept.

Honestly, I'd be happier to see someone new have a chance rather than turning them back over to the folks that brought us the fabulous MWOZ. And let's remember too, this is a new regime at Disney. My hopes are that Lasseter may even have some say in the script of something like a new Muppet movie (even though it's not animation).
Oh we're on the same page...but shouldn't some of the head Muppet veterans have a big helping hand with the writing?

I'm seeing these Muppets.com new shorts and absolutely loving the chemistry...the Muppets don't feel like "old nostalgia", they feel current. I want someone to write from that standpoint without pandering to a nostaglic factor, while bringing back the classic heart-music-magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.