Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't the links, but Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher are in.
Seems like Lucas was working on the sequel trilogy even before the sale to Disney. He was also in talks to get some of the original cast into the movies, as well as consulting Michael Arndt -- screenwriter of Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 -- to write for Episode VII.
As long as it was collaboration, we'll get a better product. What made the prequels what they were was a lack of it and complete toadying yes men. All Lucas films would have been terrible, and it's come out that if he didn't get collaboration with the original trilogy, the films would have been completely terrible. C3-PO was a Jewish stereotype at one point.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Harrison Ford is happy to come back for episode 7

YAY! I can't wait for the same tired jokes about how old he is they made when they announced Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Those were all clever and perfectly mature.
Well there's no point in being mean of course but I will say if they were going to do a new movie with the three original actors they really should have done it a few years ago. People do get older.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well there's no point in being mean of course but I will say if they were going to do a new movie with the three original actors they really should have done it a few years ago. People do get older.
I don't think it would have been that good, anyway. All the problems with the prequels stem from George being let loose and doing what he thinks he wanted. That lead to some bad decisions, ruined potential and wooden directing, not acting. If Samuel L. Jackson and Natalie Portman, proven to be masters in other films, can't emote, then it's all the director. The Samuel L. Jackson Samuel L. Jacksoned the heck out of that film.

The story is top secret, so who knows what the original cast is going to do. I don't think it much, except for some upper level political roles. Maybe (and this is the best allegory I can think of) it's an Ultimate Muscle situation, where they're fighting some new force and are too old and weak to be a match for it. There looks to definitely be a time skip involved, and that has a lot of potential.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to the game, but I was a Star Wars fanatic as a child, had tons of toys and books, then I stopped cold turkey when episode II came out. I've gotten back into it after recent hits like Battlefront II, which I've played with my bro for hours, and the Robot Chicken SW trilogy, which is one of the funniest things in the existence. For my part, I'd rather have them recast everyone than bring the originals back for the upcoming sequels; I think they're all way too old, which would almost definitely restrict what their respective characters are able to do in the sequels.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say something, but no one knows what to expect out of the next film. I can see aged Luke, Leia, and Han, all taking high ranking government positions after a huge time skip. Anything else would have to depend on the plot they're going for. That's a tightly held secret.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
I'd say something, but no one knows what to expect out of the next film. I can see aged Luke, Leia, and Han, all taking high ranking government positions after a huge time skip. Anything else would have to depend on the plot they're going for. That's a tightly held secret.
I hope that's not the case; I'd rather see Luke wielding his lightsaber and doing Jedi flips than sitting in a Senate chair. Also, it seems obvious we're going to have Luke, Han and Leia no matter what the final product, but what about Lando, my favorite supporting character? And Wedge Antilles, a highly underrated background character who nevertheless appeared in all three original films? I guess I'll have to wait and see:sigh:.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Just random surprising Star Wars news:
Disney cancelled The Clone Wars on CN last week. The last episode will air this summer. I guess they want to direct their attention and work to episode 7.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Clone Wars has over 100 episodes! That's a feat! Even popular shows get pushed out the door at 52, maybe 65 if they're lucky. Heck, nowadays if you get renewed that's a miracle.

As Disney owns the characters now, they clearly want their own Star Wars animated series. I'd almost see them doing an inbetween story line from episodes 6 and 7, much like Clone Wars was between 2 and 3. I'd love to see some story about how Han and Chewie met. Maybe ascend an old fan theory that Chewie was actually a spy for the rebels the entire time.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Just random surprising Star Wars news:
Disney cancelled The Clone Wars on CN last week. The last episode will air this summer. I guess they want to direct their attention and work to episode 7.
I guess that's a bummer for the people at CN; while I refused to watch the show, as it was based off of the prequels, far as I know it has a large audience. Of course I'm sure Time-Warner isn't happy at all with the Disney merger, seeing how Lucas was pretty friendly with CN and let them have not only Clone Wars but the Robot Chicken SW specials. I doubt Disney will be so obliging, and I feel like the new Disney buyout destroys any chance of a future Robot Chicken/SW special:sigh:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To run it down... Clone Wars was a far superior version of what the prequels tried to offer. They even managed to salvage the worst character in the franchise. In fact, people who adamantly hate the prequels actually like this series. The movie and the first season weren't exactly a great start, but the show has grown a beard and became something far better than Lucas could have done. They even managed to make episodes that paid tribute to the old Droids cartoon.

Still, next cartoon... they really need a bridge between the original trilogy, and the upcoming films. Something with the more famous characters.

Meanwhile... Lego Star Wars the series.... that's freaking gold right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.