Dinotopia: Cancelled

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's true. ABC has pulled the plug on this show, along with many others including PUSH Nevada, MD's, and some show that was the same as DO OVer. The ratings were pretty low, compaired to that of the miniseries. Possibly due to being opposite both Survivor and Friends, two top rated shows. That, and it didn't seem so great after the miniseries....

My

Drtooth

Reaction score
Statler: A lot of people didn't cared about Dinotopia being cancelled.

Waldorf: I don't think they cared it existed in the first place..

DWOA HO HO HOOOO!!!!

Thijs

Reaction score
Well I`ve never seen it, but i read about it in a fantasy magazine, and it looked beautiful. Is it a Henson Company made serie?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
It was a miniseries from the Henson Company last spring. It got uniformly bad reviews, but because it got great ratings the first night (because ABC hyped it so much), ABC ordered a whole series based on it. Chalk that one up as a "duh" move. (I'm not picking on the show; I haven't even seen it. I'm picking on ABC's rash decisions.)

The series premiered (with new actors) on Thanksgiving night -- the night before the new Muppet movie. There were two threads about the Muppet movie the next night; each ended up totalling hundreds of posts. Just out of curiousity, I asked if anyone had seen Dinotopia. One person responded. A week later.

This might be a reason why Dinotopia has now been cancelled.

beaker

Reaction score
It's too bad...Dinotopia the minis eries looked astonishing. Never saw a preview for the actual series, but it was definately a gamble.

Wait, this was a JHC thing, or you mean JHC CS was involved?

Anyways, the original Dinotopia book is nothing short of breathtaking...and I personally felt the Naboo scenes in Episode One lifted heavily in look from these pages.

However I still have not gotten around to watching the 4 hour dvd. I wish they had made an actual 2 hour theatrical film instead.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

Wait, this was a JHC thing, or you mean JHC CS was involved?

I meant Creature Shop. In my mind, they'll always be the same company!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say I don't find this news very surprising. I know people who were fans of the books that told me they weren't going to watch it, and I heard from fans of the mini-series that weren't going to watch the series. Honestly, it really has more to do with the way the general public thinks nowadays. I don't think many people cared about Dinotopia, which put it in the same catagory as Push Nevada and MDs. Every time I see a new show on network TV, I always wonder how they could possibly think theyre going to have any longevity with the series. People just stop caring after a while, Dinotopia being no exception. I think had they had just left it as a mini-series, they would have been better off (a sadly common mistake with things that seem to have what it takes to make a "hit series").

-Matt