DINOSAURS and Kevin Clash

Monster

Reaction score
I just had to share what happened just a little while ago! I am really good friend's with Kevin Clash and I do storyboards for him when he is directing episodes of Sesame Street. Sometimes when we are at him home working he will be reading the script out loud and just break into Elmo's voice or whomever he would be performing for that episode...

Anyway, I had a question about how he performed a scene in Dinosaurs as Baby Sinclair hanging from a stalagmite. He explained it but i still could not see the special effect- it was just SO great. Then he asked if the music video "I'm The Baby Gotta Love Me" was on that disc and we watched and laughed together. Then I told him his interview was great in the bonus features and he couldn't remember it so I played it for him and it was just a WONDERFUL time with him!

Folks, I am just one of those people who never gave up on my dream and although I have been friends with Kevin and been working with Sesame for over 17 years it is a joy that I love to share! Never give up your dreams! I still can't believe the blessing of being part of the Muppet World!

If I can help answer any questions or give info that I am allowed to give out please let me know. I love Muppet Central and hope to contribute more!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, do you happen to know whatever happened to his character Leon from The Jim Henson Hour? He was such a major character, I think more major (and better) than Clifford, who has stuck around in productions since then. Leon only made a handful of post-JHH appearances.

Monster

Reaction score
Leon

As far as I know, unless a special deal was made for him, Leon belongs to Disney now- just like Clifford. Kevin just left my office so if he comes back today I will ask for sure what happened.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As far as I know, unless a special deal was made for him, Leon belongs to Disney now- just like Clifford. Kevin just left my office so if he comes back today I will ask for sure what happened.
I figured Disey got the rights to him and all of the other original Jim Henson Hour "MuppeTelevision" characters. I wasn't asking about the character rights, but the reason he had basically been dropped after the show's cancellation (heck, I wonder this about most of the original JHH characters... Clifford's really the only one who had continued as a major character).

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi Monster (not something I say everyday...usually just when checking in my closet or under the bed, actually...) I don't have a question as yet, but next time you do see Kevin please pass on my appreciation for him as a performer, puppeteer, voice-artist, and all-around good-guy.

Small story. I used to find Elmo annoying. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Until, one day, I watched a youtube clip of Kevin at a convention (I forget where or how) and he had Elmo on, and was chatting to a young kid, and laughing and saying how much Elmo loved them...and...well, my heart melted and I realised just how much love Elmo had to give and that we just needed to receive it (which sounds incredibly odd, or rather like the first half of a sermon) but it really is so great to see the impact he (and Elmo) have on the kids of the world.

Do pass on our thanks.

Bea:zany:regard

Monster

Reaction score
I'm even looking for Kermit and Piggy and Fozzie and Gonzo... I am looking for ALL of them- I like Leon and even Clifford. The Classic Muppets aren't being given a fair shot in my opinion. I am hoping Disney really pushes them- but since they just acquired Marvel for 4 and a half billion dollars I'm sure that will be their priority.

Monster

Reaction score
Bearegard, I will give Kevin your message! Thanks for sharing! He melts me too with how he genuinely LOVES children and goes above and beyond for them!

We were shooting a scene on location that I was an extra in and the Super Grover prop Muppet would not fly properly after SO many takes! Kevin handed Elmo to the wrangler and slumped into a chair to rest after all those failed takes. Then a small parade of mommies and their babies in stollers was passing by across the street. Kevin JUMPED out of that chair and grabbed Elmo and RAN across the street so Elmo could play with the babies!

It was a beautiful site... like SO many others I have seen him involved in.

Thanks again!

dwmckim

Reaction score
When the scene airs, let us know so we can keep eyes peeled for you.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Whoa! Hey Monster give my regards to Kevin!

I'll admit, my relationship with the furry red monster is on and off. On the lighter side, one of my favorite childhood memories was seeing The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland in theaters in 1999 and rushing home from a Cub Scout meeting to watch the original broadcast of CinderElmo. But at the same time, I always credited Elmo with soiling the Street to the show it has become today (well, the 33rd season at least). I stopped watching the SST episodes on PBS daily in 2002, but when I met Kevin Clash in 2006 at his first book signing I now have the upmost respect for him. It takes a lot to stay in-character the way he did, the fact that he was even sitting on the floor at B&N playing with the little kids really warms your heart. Since then, I have had a much larger appreciation for Elmo and how he essentially saved Sesame Street from cancellation when a certain purple dinosaur came around.

Monster

Reaction score
Bob, the Pizza Boy- I probably saw you at that book signing! I illustrated the book and designed and art directed the book cover. So I was there for the signing and the next day Kevin asked me to join him to sign the books with him at Books Of Wonder. Do you have a copy with a little sketch of Elmo in red pencil? That weekend and Tuesday of that week i had to draw that little Elmo head 1,000 times- no exaggeration! And I loved EACH AND EVERY SECOND of it! In fact, that Sunday after you were there after Kevin packed up Elmo and left I had a LONG line of kids and their families waiting to meet me. I was doing big color drawings of Elmo and giving them away- SO many kids were little artists and really related to my part of the day. I even made really great friends with a little girl and her Mom- we have become really close and I even get to go to her birthday parties!

The stuff that really touches my heart most of all is when people come out and reach out to learn more about the people behind the scenes. It gives us a chance to show how real the love is that goes into Sesame Street and all the parts that support it. I'm glad you got to meet Kevin Clash. He is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and generous people I have ever met. Especially when he is away from the puppets- he is a regular guy who can make me laugh at the drop of a hat! Just talking and enjoying our friendship that started back in 1992.

Thanks for replying to my thread. I look forward to more!