Determine Where Your Dialect Comes From

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Neither have I, but then again, we don't have any actual roundabouts in Knoxville, however, I know that's what they're called, because that's what the driver's manual says. That, and I've never heard of a thing that goes across two parallel lanes on the highway diagonally, or whatever it was.

Interestingly, my friend who originally posted it on FB is from Kansas, but the survey said her dialect was from places like Baltimore and Providence.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Welp, it guessed I was from Philly, which I am from (Or Newark...or some place called Yonkers)

Thing is though, the one question about what you call a big road or whatever, (highway, freeway, ect,) is weird one and I'm not sure if the people who wrote it, understand what a turnpike is. A turnpike is a specific highway in which you pay tolls...so...i dunno, that one was weird to me. Actually if you search turnpike, the Philly turnpike is the first result.

but the hoagie question was the one that determined it for me since hoagie is almost exclusively used in Philly and the surrounding areas :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thing is though, the one question about what you call a big road or whatever, (highway, freeway, ect,) is weird one and I'm not sure if the people who wrote it, understand what a turnpike is. A turnpike is a specific highway in which you pay tolls...so...i dunno, that one was weird to me. Actually if you search turnpike, the Philly turnpike is the first result.
I noticed that too, I just took it as they were trying to see if the word "turnpike" meant anything to you.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I got Providence, Rhode Island, and I'm from Connecticut, so I'd say that was pretty close.

I haven't heard of drive-through liquor stores either, those sound like accidents waiting to happen.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hmm. Santa Rosa, San Francisco, and Reno.

I was born and raised in Georgia.