Dearth/Alex's Customs and Dioramas v2

Muppetaz

Reaction score
Good news, Disneys really going all out for the Muppets. On Disney channel for the past couple of days, the muppets have been introducing just about every other show. You know the part where one of the stars draws a mickey in the corrner. So far I've seen Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, and Fozzie.

Dearth

Reaction score
That's nice, I have listened to it but haven't purchased it yet. I do love the video that the Muppets did with OK Go, it's like a match made in heaven.

But I feel a need to address something... don't you think these sort of off-topic posts belong in a different section of these forums? There's a thread dedicated to the Green Album, for example. After I saw the OK Go/Muppets video, that's where I went to comment about it. There's probably one discussing the Disney channel promos, up in the news section.

I mean, it's kind of a compliment that this is where you feel the most comfortable. But on most of the other forums I've frequented, "thread hijacking" is considered impolite, and in extreme cases, I've even seen moderators warn people to stay on topic.

Perhaps you could start your very own thread, with your own screen name and/or real name in the title? And then you could post whatever you wanted to say at any time, and it would always be on topic for that thread.

I'd appreciate it.

So having gotten that off my chest, I also feel compelled to actually talk about my customs and dioramas. No new pics to post, but I'm currently reorganizing my mostly-boxed Muppet collection.

(Remember this older pic of all the boxes stacked up? I went through about a third of those yesterday. )

I will say that I am in pre-production mode on "Jurasick Pork" as a photonovel. It's basically just a remake of Jurassic Park if the Muppets had done it, but in a couple of places it will slide slightly more into parody than straight remake.

I recently watched the original Jurassic Park movie again, and then a few days later it came on TV while I was at work, which I considered a nice bit of synchronicity.

I've got pages of ideas jotted down, and I realized I would have to customize a few more action figures... including movie-specific costumes for Link Hogthrob, Dr. Strangepork, and possibly someone for whom there is no existing Palisades figure. It's something I've always been afraid to try... turning a Miss Piggy into an Annie Sue.

But if Piggy is the T-Rex and Janice is Ellie Sattler, I need a young female for Lex. Camilla won't exactly work, and I even thought about a tweenage Skeeter since I have some leftover Scooter parts already on hand. But since Lex is the computer nerd, something Skeeter always eschewed, it seemed anathema.

Plus, I've seen other custom Skeeters made from Scooter parts, and somehow it always 'reads' on camera as just... Scooter-in-drag.

Alex

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Sadly, I lost my contact/local customizer who was working on turning a Scooter into Skeeter as discussed between both of us, which was of course before the release of the Muppet Show Comics arc Family Reunion.
If you're considering making an Annie Sue, I'd recommend you try contacting the one guy who's actually done it... None other than the originator of Muppet custom figure awesomeness, Quinn Rollins. He might be on FB, dunno if you've already got him on your friends list Dearth. But you should seriously search him out, he made Skeeter and Annie Sue and even Spamela, a whole Batman Muppet cast, JLU Muppets, Indiana Jones Muppets, the list just goes on and on.

Hope this helps.

Dearth

Reaction score
Oh, many's the time I've thought up a 'new' custom idea, only to realize it's something Quinn made many years ago and has been buried in my subconscious ever since.

I've tried to track down Quinn for a chat, but I never got a response. Didn't try Facebook, though, as I don't have a real active account.

Alex

Dearth

Reaction score
I was sitting here dremelling off the hair of a Miss Piggy to customize my Annie Sue when I had a knock at the door; it was the mailman with a heavy box full of Muppet custom fodder from The Count! Yay!

In addition to Annie Sue, I have several custom Muppets in progress, most begun just last night. A Rizzo, a Link, a Strangepork... Expect pics soon!

Alex

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
So... I just got the MST3K box set that comes with a Gypsy figure... Man, she's huge. Bigger than Beauregard. All I need now is a Crow and then it's the Bots on the Swinetrek vs the Hecklers in the Box!
Not my picture, but here's a size comparison of all three bots.

Crow's sadly, missing his legs...But hey...they're only figures, I should really just relax... Here's hoping for a Cambot, heck, even a Joel or Mike figure...
Crow and Tom are apparently, as small as Gonzo, not counting Crow's stand, and Gypsy towers over them, as tall if not taller, than Beauregard.

Dearth

Reaction score
I recently watched an auction for just the three bots go for way more than I wanted to pay, but they're very cool. Especially Gypsy and Tom Servo. But that Crow... well, the missing legs don't bother me as much as the fact he looks really out of scale compared to the other two. I used to subscribe to the newsletter of 'this little cowtown puppet show', so I've been hoping to see more merchandise of these guys for a long time.

When my oldest son was just a baby, I appeared on the local TV channel as one half of a pair called The Movie Hunters. The other guy was a lowbrow redneck woodsman type, and I was the highbrow big-game safari character. We only did something like six skits before we got the axe, but they were a lot of fun. In the final and longest segment, the director had us do the de rigeur MST3K ripoff, superimposed onto the trailer for Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow while making lame riffs.

We were seated in front of the weatherman's bluescreen and watched the floor camera's TelePrompTer as our monitor to see the clip. This meant we were actually facing TOWARD camera to create the silhouettes, with the contrast set to make us solid black... but if you look closely you can see the buttons on my shirt front were reflecting the lights, so those were keyed out as well. Which gives away the fact we have our backs to the 'movie screen'.

But it was my own little chance to riff on something. Fun times.

~~~

Going through my fodder boxes to make these Jurasick Pork characters, I came across parts I'd set aside to make Dr. Bunsen HoneyPIG, who is mentioned but never seen in the Cloris Leachman episode.

Which got me thinking... do you think he would have been green like the real Bunsen? Or fleshtone like the other pigs? I'm leaning more towards green. After all, Kermit the Pig was green like the real Kermit.

Alex

Muppetaz

Reaction score
I think he would be green and featureless, just his glasses.