Dealing with depression and anxiety

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's good you have people to talk to you that you trust and respect. Hopefully they can help you out and give you some advice.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I was out with my sister and mum today. Mum was saying stuff about filling out some forms sometime and I responded with little enthusiasm. My sister then snapped at me for acting so grumpy when I have no reason to and Mum was only trying to help. I replied that there was nothing wrong with being emotional with no clear reason and that it was rather hypocritical of her to say that since she was acting worse yesterday. She then said that I haven't been doing anything and that at least she was working and had a reason to be grumpy yesterday.

I can't pinpoint why, but that really hurt when she said that. She always has this ability to put me down like this and ruin my confidence every time I see her. And they wonder why I want to stay in the city away from them.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's not very nice of your sister to put you down like that. You don't always need a reason to feel crummy; sometimes it just happens. I don't blame you for being hurt when she said that, she was trying to minimize what you were feeling and that's not right.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I know, but I don't know what I can do about it. I have thought about talking to her about our relationship but she's not easy to talk to like our older sister. Whenever we do start a conversation, our family has the need to butt in and put a stop to it because we used to have terrible fights as children. And plus, she's younger than me by three years. The fact that she has more independence and confidence than I have did at that age and even now just makes things worse for me. I know it shouldn't but it does.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Is there any way you could talk to her privately? I've been in a similar situation with my sister, where we had issues with each other and it was hard initially to bring them up, but I finally talked to her in private one day and it definitely helped things improve so much. I know it's a lot easier said than done though to bring up things like that. *hugs*

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
It bugs me a lot how little it takes to bring me to tears. Today, I realized that the trip to Luray Caverns that I planned to go on with one of my Meetup groups is happening this Saturday morning, when I'm scheduled to work (as I always am; that seems to be my designated role to my boss). I called earlier, and spoke to the manager on duty (the manager who schedules everyone has been on vacation the last week and a half; must be nice), asking her if there was anyone who I could get to work in my place. The only two people who aren't working this Saturday can't work Saturdays, and this is on top of the fact that every day that my boss has been on vacation (as well as most of the time she's not), our store is ALWAYS understaffed. Yet, somehow, she was able to fit everyone she could in for this Saturday. That, on top of the fact that, as I've said, she ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL, expects me to get up at 5:30 AM every Saturday morning to open the store, made me fall to pieces today.:cry: The worst thing about it is that this is a job, where on Friday night, I didn't get to bed until 1am, because I was up bawling because I hated, more than anything, that I needed to get up the next morning and go to work. A person's life shouldn't be like that....:cry: I know I have depression, and that makes everything worse, but I don't know...

Bridget

Reaction score
I've realized that in the worst situations that a person is put in, there is always a little spark of happiness glistening through. Though that job might not be your favorite activity in the world, you'd be ever so surprised what might happen during work hours. You might end up meeting someone special, or even learning a life lesson. Always keep a smile on your face no matter what! Though depression can eat away at your core, you never know who you may inspire by being positive when times are rough. I know it's probably cheesy... but just speaking from life experience.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
So apparently, (and I say apparently because this is news to me) the reason I'm so upset with my sister's treatment of me is because I act like I thought she was having a go at me everytime she tries to talk to me!

No! I'm done! I am so done!

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I've realized that in the worst situations that a person is put in, there is always a little spark of happiness glistening through. Though that job might not be your favorite activity in the world, you'd be ever so surprised what might happen during work hours. You might end up meeting someone special, or even learning a life lesson. Always keep a smile on your face no matter what! Though depression can eat away at your core, you never know who you may inspire by being positive when times are rough. I know it's probably cheesy... but just speaking from life experience.
I guess you're right. There are SOME nice things about my job. I like most of my coworkers, some of our customers are nice, and it has inspired me to learn to crochet (it's a craft store).