1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Dave's Appropriate and Distanced Admirers

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Beauregard, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Dave Goelz is an awesome performer, with some of the Muppets more memorable muppets on his list of achievements (such as Zoot, Gonzo, Beauregard, and Bunsen). He's also a man dedicated to the craft of puppetry, and the Muppets themselves...joining tours, making appearances, and generally being awesome.

He once mentioned a story about receiving a top-secret phone-call about a possible future Muppet project...and got up to find it here at Muppet Central.

This and much more certainly make the fascinating man known as Dave G worthy of an appreciation thread.

Welcome to DaDa, Dave's Appropriate and Distanced Admirers. Please wipe your feet on the mat as you come in.

Beau
  2. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*wipes feet* *jumps in and parties* WOOT! Dave is my all-tiem favorite performer! I LOVE all of his characters! But mostly Gonzo... :halo: And Boober and Zoot and Beau and Bunsen and Bill Bubble Guy and World's Oldest Fraggle and Philo and and and! I love them ALLLLLL! Dave ROCKS!
  3. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

As one who has come into close encounters of the Gonzo-nostril kind, and hath watched Muppet Music clips directly in front of the man, I am pleased to join such a respectable group, wipe my feet, and announce myself as an admirer of Dave Goelz. However only appropriately and from a distance. :p Surely no mental images shall be found in the likes of this fan-group, no sir.
  4. Skye

Skye Active Member

Lol, cute name for the group, Beau!

*jumps in* Oh wait... *walks back out, wipes her feet, then jumps back in*

Dave is awesome! He's such a terrific performer, and a really great guy. He definitely deserves this thread! Here's to you, Dave! :D
  5. Beauregard

Name praise must all go straight to MeeperBorkerMeep, whose recent encounter with Dave G inspired this little dedicated thread. And of course, with such a name we are gareunteed that no mental images, food throwing, or other such un-illustrious misbehavior shall befall us distanced admirers. (Although we may be at a distance with binoculars...but that's another story.)

If it can be argued that at the heart of Frank's performance of his characters is heart, then it can certainly be put forward that at the soul of Dave's characters is an amazing depth of soul.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Recently, on my Muppet Wiki user page, I decided to make a gallery for some of my favorite Muppet characters. Mainly favorites from The Muppet Show and related productions, and I realised that most of Dave's characters from such productions were included. These characters are, of course, Gonzo, Bunsen, Zoot, Beauregard, Digit, and Bill the Bubble Guy.
  7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I really like Dave's story in the Muppets, especially after hearing that recent radio interview. How he was intimitated by the guest stars on Muppet Show and always felt like an imposter in the recording studio (though I think he's always great with a song!). He's a regular guy who was given the chance of a lifetime, through talent and perserverance. :cool:
  8. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

oooh Dave Rocks his characters are also so hilarious and he is definately one of the best performers (theyre all great! ;) )
  9. BeakerSqueedom

BeakerSqueedom Active Member

Dave Goelz,
    is fantastic!

What I truly admire about this particular performer is how he managed to
    change a once melancholy Gonzo into a heck of a world-wide happy success. You go to someone and ask "Who is your favorite character on TMS?" We always get the answer (usually) "Gonzo!"

Gonzo was a character that started out as a gloomy outcast.
    Now, he is a ball of blue energy that has kind of calmed down to some extent though, we will see about that when the next production occurs.

Dave Goelz is just fabulous!

I.Love.Him.

In the normal way...

*Closes her door hurriedly, hiding a Dave Goelz shrine*

*Whistles*

Oh, I hate mats.

*Does as told*
  10. heralde

Very true, Gonzo was always my favorite character when I was a kid, he was just so bizarre and funny. It's a great achievement to take a troublesome character and develop him into something so creative and popular. :)
  11. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

Gonzo is my favorite of The Muppet Show muppets.. and the guy in my avatar there, though certainly a one-trick pony, should've been kept after Muppets Tonight!.. he's hilarious

one of my favorite Dave Goelz muppeteering moments..

- when they're watching the Muppet Babies video in A Muppet Family Christmas, I love the thing he does with Gonzo's eyes after he says "what a handsome devil I was".. or whatever he said.. it was something like that.
  12. BeakerSqueedom

I agree!

Sadly, Gonzo did not start out as one of my favorites. It strangley turned out to be the secretly sadistic good-natured Scientist. What I found interesting was that, Dave had a slightly hard time with him (Zoot reaches as number one actually) from what I read or maybe I am incorect...

I don't know what I adore in the melon-headed muppet.
    I suppose it's the Mr. Rogers personality. I always did like those types
    of characters.

Later, Gonzo then became a favorite.

o___O

Ain't it just cute, Dave actually had Gonzo kind of show how he personally was feeling as he started out. :)

Kind of using Gonzo as a reflection to what he could not express..
  13. heralde

We've talked about that on the RHLC, how the perfomers often seemed to use the puppets to express themselves. :)
  14. MeepBorkMeep

MeepBorkMeep New Member

And you know what, he said at one of the panels that he still sings I'm Going To Go Back There Someday to his kids each night. That's so cool.
  15. BeakerSqueedom

*Melts*
    He does?

Awww...
  16. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

I definately think he's an underrated performer. He took Gonzo from a one-shot character and made him really broad, interesting, and funnier than ever. And his characters all have a bit of a zing to them, like Bunsen, who surprises me sometimes with the things he says, and of course Boober and Travelling Matt. So quirky yet loveable!
  17. heralde

Oh that is so sweet!
  18. Beauregard

*becomes melty goo*
  19. FraggleRockRock

FraggleRockRock New Member

Whoopie! a Dave Goelz fan thing! Can I come too? Can I PLEEEEESE?

OK, I think I got a bit too into it. *Wipes feet without waiting for an answer and hops deftly through the door, tripping briefly over the doorjamb but landing in a neat reclining position on a conveniently placed cushion.
  20. BeakerSqueedom

*Sits next to her*
    It's a-okay.
    That's how I was at the RHLC <3.
    *Pats*