1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Dave Goelz to voice Figment in Rehab of Epcot Attraction

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Sweetums74, May 21, 2002.

1. Sweetums74

Sweetums74 New Member

Hey all-
    I just read an article on Walt Disney Imagineering's internal news page that said that Dave Goelz is voicing Figment in the rehab of the Journey Into Imagination attraction at Epcot @ Walt Disney World.

Just some back story on the whole thing for those of you not familiar:

In 1983 the Journey Into Imagination attraction at Epcot opened. The basic idea was that you were guided through the world of imagination by a human type character named "Dreamfinder". Early in the journey, Dreamfinder creates a purple dragon- a figment of his imagination- and names him "Figment". Figment was voiced by the late Billy Barty.

In the late 90's- I think 1999- the original attraction was changed to carry over the "Imagination Institute" theme that was introduced a few years earlier in the "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" 3D film that was also shown in part of the Imagination pavilion. Dreamfinder and Figment were taken out of the new attraction (although aspects of Figment could be found in throughout).

To put it bluntly, this new attraction was pretty bad. IMHO it removed the charm and whimsy and was quite stale (a lot shorter too). This view was shared by a good portion of other people too.. many who demanded the return of their beloved purple dragon.

So this summer, Figment is being added back into the attraction. The original song will be coming back as well.

I didn't know how they were going to bring Figment back w/o having him speak unless they were going to utilize recordings from the original attraction or recordings that Billy Barty made that were never used.

Now I know. Dave Goelz is doing it. I'm sure that he has done a fine job and I'm really looking forward to going back to the attraction in a month or two (maybe even only a few weeks).

I'll give a report.

Chris
  2. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

That's pretty cool news, thanks for posting.

According to the IMDb, Jeff Bennett did the voice of Figment on the "House of Mouse" TV series. I wonder why he's not doing the new voice. Not that I'm complaining, I'm all about Dave Goelz.

Please do report back into us when you've had a chance to see it.

I wonder, was the song ever released on any of the Disneyland/World Park CDs that have been released over the years? It would be cool if Dave's version made it to a CD. There would yet again be another product on the market that I would buy simply because of the Muppet connection; a product I'd probably not buy otherwise :p
  3. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

4. fishbone

fishbone Member

figment

i loved that ride when iwas a kid.do you remember the green screen?you could fly ,or be in a fairy tale.that was the shiznit.
  5. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

I could go on and on about the whole backstory to the Imagination pavillion problems. The problem there is my fingers would fall off. What I will tell you is that this redress was long talked about but never acted upon. When the attraction did shut down it was very unexpected. There was only about a 4 day announcement that the attraction was going down. Ths is very odd considering we almost always got 2 weeks to a month notice. You can tell that this was a major problem for Disney because when most of their attractions go down they get a big send off. Not this time as JIYI was a big embarrassment for them. They just want to clean it up.
  6. Yeppers, "One Little Spark", the attraction's theme song, can be found on the now-rare "The Original Soundtrack of Disneyland and Walt Disney World" which came out in '91. Findin' that, though, can be tricky.

And Scott, have you checked all your emails in a while? Just wonderin' if you ever got a couple I sent you last month...
  7. radionate

radionate New Member

Out of curiosity, are they creating new sets? The reason I ask this is that Disney had some of the ride props up for sale on Ebay! The big giant balloon thingy was there, with the audio animatronic figment!
  8. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

There is no way they wouldnt make new sets. They are going to try and but as much space between the new attraction and the old one as possible. Of all of Imagineerings latest screw-ups this is the one that hard core fans balked at the most. As as side note I persoanlly found it funny when they auctioned off the Dreamfinder Ballon. When that auction first went up it included the Figment figure. The auction was pulled and then relisted later without the figure. I can only specualte as to the reasons.
  9. EmmyMik

EmmyMik New Member

This now leads to the question...

does this mean Disney owns Dave Goelz?

More importantly, does this mean that Disney now owns Dave's glasses?

:D

(of course, I'm kidding. Everyone knows that Dave's glasses are owned by BIC)...

:D
  10. Sweetums74

Sweetums74 New Member

Scott it is the same song.
    "One Little Spark" is frequently in rotation on Disney Park internet radio stations on Live365.com. A few stations even have the audio from the entire attractions.

Not to condone the practice, but I'm sure that you could probably find an MP3 on the net if you tried.

Chris
  11. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

Yayyyy !

When i go back at Christmas im gonna record it !

Is it possible too ?!

See ya
  12. Sweetums74

Sweetums74 New Member

Great Job, Dave!

I just returned from taking an extended lunch and going to the Cast Member preview of the rehabbed attraction.

Dave has done a wonderful job with Figment. His voice was speeded up a bit, but with certain words you could definately tell it was him.

The "One Little Spark" song has returned-- some new lyrics too.

Figment is throughout the attraction-- multiple times. Basically he IS the star.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the updated song on a park music CD next year. Right now with the current "100 Years of Magic" celebration going on, there is a 100YoM CD.

Those of you visiting-- you could capture the song on a recorder. The audio in the attraction is amazing.

Chris
  13. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

That's awesome news, Figment was one of the best things at Epcot, and with Dave doing his voice it makes him even cooler. I hope that if they ever make a rehabbed Star Tours they get Paul Reubens back.
  14. radionate

radionate New Member

15. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

I guess I shouldn't have expected much from this rehab. All they did was add some projection screens, Figment and take out the coolest effect in the old ride. The end of the old ride was a dark room with a starfield that faded into light. Well now that it is gone there is no sense in crying. I guess it isn't the stupidest thing that they did with this pavilion. The award for stupidest move goes to shortening the ride track in the first rehab. When the ride originally opened the entire first floor of the builing was occupied with the ride. At the time the interactive exhibit was upstairs in the glass pyramids. The old exhibit is still up there, but now it is only a meeting/convention/VIP reception area. With one fell swoop Imagineering cut the ride in half in the name of revenue, which as it seems is all that dictates thier future design these days. Paul Pressler needs to go.
  16. Sweetums74

Sweetums74 New Member

Nathan,
    Don't jump to conclusions based on the limited info given @ laughingplace. The description that laughing place gave left out a TON of stuff. The starfield is still there.. actually it is even expanded.

A lot of the toughest critics who have seen it are very happy about the changes. Lance over at Screamscape.com gave a write up as well. The pictures are bad because it is hard to take good digitial pics under blacklights. The changes that were made to the original were bad... this "fix" to those changes is a huge improvement.

If you really liked the original (and it seems that you liked it as much as I did), you will still miss it, but you won't be disappointed with these changes.

Chris
  17. FER SURE

FER SURE New Member

Chris

Thanks for the info! I am so glad to hear that the starfield remains. I find it harder and harder to trust Imagineering as I find all the best attractions refurbed and downsized to fit in a gift shop. I do realise the atractive lure of "Merchantainment" revenue but it has gone to far. By the way, what is your role? I was a Front Dest Host CP at ALL-Star sports.
  18. radionate

radionate New Member

Ok guys, check it out. I just found the ENTIRE Journey Into Imagination ride posted online. You can see just how good of a job both Dave Goelz did, as well as the imagineers.

http://www.disneycorner.com/media/figment/index.htm

They have both the entire ride, and the stuff at the entrace on these links.:D
  19. Tera

Tera New Member

I haven't been on the Imagination ride for some time. Its WAY too dark and scares the bejeezus out of my kid. Why make a ride that's dark, boring and terrifies 5 year olds? If it scares kids, it should be exciting!
    When did this change happen? For those who have seen the ride, is it still mostly in the dark?
    Thanks!
  20. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

Alot of Disney's rides are dark, they're actually called dark rides. I loved Figment when I was like 3, I couldn't get enough of him.