Dark Crystal vs. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
I watched dark crystal for the first time today. I am sorry, but it wasn't all that good to me. I mean, they did the puppets well, and the voices and everyhing, but I didn't like the plot I suppose. I so prefer the labyrinth. what is you people's opinion? dark crystal vs. labyrinth?

Whatever

Reaction score
Most people do prefer Labyrinth. When I first saw DC, Kevin (Fozzie Bear) predicted that I would like Labyrinth better. And he was right.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I like both. LABYRINTH may be better as a movie, it's lighter, funny, and entertaining. The creatures are lovely, not as dark as in DC. Storywise LABYRINTH is certainly more appealing to woman. :smile:

Visually DARK CRYSTAL is better. It's much more complex. Look at the details, the decors, the costumes... DARK CRYSTAL is unbelievable! Also they created a believable world. And the music by Trevor Jones is one of the best soundtracks ever made!

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
I have to agree with Laszlo; I like both films.

Labyrinth has a more laid-back feel to it, an extraordinary Wonderland, fae world quality and all of the Labyrinth inhabitants have that wondrous faery behaviour and look to them of being tricksy and mischievous with just that glimmer of wisdom hinting at the surface. (There's a Froud quote I really love that describes it perfectly: 'Faeries are silly, absurd, profound and very, very wise.') But it has a more modern appeal.

The Dark Crystal is something even more strange, still having a fae quality, but more... what's the word ... prehistoric? An entirely different world, different languages being showcased, a detailed look into other species' culture and traditions. The whole film is a lot more epic and immense. While Labyrinth could be considered as more of a romp, The Dark Crystal is heavier and more of a saga.

I love both for exactly what they are. There is no 'better' -- only 'equal'.

JustListen

Reaction score
I watched dark crystal for the first time today. I am sorry, but it wasn't all that good to me. I mean, they did the puppets well, and the voices and everyhing, but I didn't like the plot I suppose. I so prefer the labyrinth. what is you people's opinion? dark crystal vs. labyrinth?
Wow, I feel like a mother defending her child. Labyrinth is an extraordinary piece with a timeless storyline and Heaven knows David Bowie is irresistable! (Makes me want to be Sarah for a day:big_grin:.) But my heart resigns in Thra with The Dark Crystal. The characters are so beautiful and they each have a story of their own which makes them feel even more complete. As well, there's so much magic in the movie that only Jim Henson could bring to the table, like Jen and Kira's Dream Fastting abilities, and the idea that the Skeksis and the UrRu were one and the same all along. It unlocks a side of us all that we're afraid to show the world. :excited:
:scary:<--SkekSil Represent!
I applaud your honesty and that is where I stand!

Reaction score
the dark crystal still is and will always be.....

An absolute masterpiece! NO-one has ever or probably WILL ever top the puppetry that was done whilst making the dark crystal.

by the way, I have nothing against Labrynth, I just like the dark crystal better.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I would say Labyrinth looks a little "cheaper" than Dark Crystal ... but I think that was on purpose ... to give it a more "pop-up-storybook" feel. They both have their strong points.

Dark Crystal was a strong (albeit typical) hero-saves-the-world fantasy epic. It had Chamberlain, so extra points for that. :big_grin: There was actually a backstory.

Labyrinth was faster paced. It had David Bowie, so extra points for that. :big_grin: It left so much stuff unsaid (and, yes, this will be a compliment) that it allows us fanfic writers to argue about motivations for years.