Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But the home page where the general information is also says this, copy and pasted

but please send in 7,500-10,000 words that represent the story you would tell in a full-length Dark Crystal novel. It can either be the first chapters, final chapters, a collection of middle chapters, or a short piece that would form the inspiration for a novel-length story.
Kinda contradicts the rules page...the rules page is referring to a complete 7500-10000 page story, not the entire novel itself.

To enter The Dark Crystal Author Quest Contest (the “Contest”), write a complete original story
set in The Dark Crystal universe*. Stories should be between 7,500 and 10,000 typed words
But since it also mentions you win the right to write A Dark Crystal novel, maybe that does mean you only get to write 1.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Contradictions everywhere and not a lick of sense.

I thought the daunting part would only start if I made it to the top five (still a fat chance), but just deciphering the rules and backstory is more than enough to make my head spin. It's like they want to confuse us.

Uwizll

Reaction score
Stories should be between 7,500 and 10,000 words
I'm sure that the contradiction was a mistake on their part. What makes sense to me, and what I think they're getting at is the complete novel will be 50,000 words (making about a 175-200 page book) and our submissions should be an 7500-10,000 word excerpt of the novel we would like to write.

PRIZES
1. The confirmed winner will receive a book publishing contract for the publication of a new 50,000
word Dark Crystal young adult novel, which may or may not include elements of the winning story,
with Penguin Group (USA) LLC valued at Ten Thousand US Dollars (USD $10,000.00).
Sounds like they're looking for a submission that shows imagination and creativity that is written well. It's entirely possible that they'll chuck our story ideas out the window and just tell us what to write.

But hey, at least the Winner gets to write, right?

Right.

Uwizll

Reaction score
but just deciphering the rules and backstory is more than enough to make my head spin. It's like they want to confuse us.
I'm seriously thinking they're doing this on purpose! The contradictions are everywhere.

My first impression of the Contest was this: a guard named Rian discovers the Truth and sets forth on an adventure to spread the truth like wildfire and unite the 7 clans.

Me: Oh okay. So the Contest is to write the first book in a series of novels that will tell the tale of Rian uniting the clans. Definitely sounds like an epic story that should take several novels to show the story.

But nope. Our submissions are to be complete, stand-alone stories.

Then why even mention Rian? :'(

And now this: We may love the Winner's story and writing skills and still throw his story out the window.

Me: Oh bah!

*Runs into a corner to cry*

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
maybe they are purposely making things ambiguous to weed out anyone who is not seriously interested? But at the same time its kinda alienating those who are cause they don't understand what's going on...

Personally I had no interest in writing anything from the start but the way this contest is being handled is truly baffling me

Uwizll

Reaction score
I sincerely hope some clarification and follow-ups will be released shortly.

I love Dark Crystal and I'm a novel-writer, so I feel like this contest is heaven-sent! I've been 110% interested and devoted since they first announced this about a week ago.

The handling of the Contest has been dreadful. I've spent, admittedly, a stupid amount of time attempting to wrap my brain around the rules and backstory. At first I thought I was stupid. I thought, Oh I'm sure there are hundreds of other fans and writers that understand this better than me...

It's a shame.

Uwizll

Reaction score
My main problem now is getting my brain outta whack. All morning I was unconsciously typing 'Dalek' when I meant 'Skeksis' and when I realized I was doing it, my brain went off on a tangent about aliens invading Thra.
Hahahaha!

Doctor Who: The Power of the Dark Crystal
Set hundreds of years after the events of the original film, the Daleks of Skaro arrive at Thra to extract the Great Crystal. The Doctor teams up with a rag-tag team of Gelflings to stop the evil Daleks!

Introducing Jim as the Doctor's new Podling companion.

Featuring Morgan Freeman as the Twelfth Doctor and a Muppet™ as Jim.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
And now this: We may love the Winner's story and writing skills and still throw his story out the window.

Me: Oh bah!
I'm thinking (well, hoping) that's just a legal covering-of-their-hind-quarters in the off chance that the winning story can't be weaseled into the established canon.
I love Dark Crystal and I'm a novel-writer, so I feel like this contest is heaven-sent! I've been 110% interested and devoted since they first announced this about a week ago.
Do you mean novel-writer, as in professional, as in actually been published?

Uwizll

Reaction score
I'm thinking (well, hoping) that's just a legal covering-of-their-hind-quarters in the off chance that the winning story can't be weaseled into the established canon.
I'm hoping -- really hoping for that, too.

Do you mean novel-writer, as in professional, as in actually been published?
I apologize. My comment before was misleading. I haven't been published, but I do write my own stories and novels outside of my day-job. All of the novels I've written and plan to write have been inspired in some way by the world of Thra. So this is exciting for me...

My number one goal is to be a full-time novelist someday. I think this Contest would be a fantastic foot in the door of the publishing world.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Pretty much the same story here. Which puts us in the same boat. That means you are now my emaney! THIS MEANS WAR! :grr::wink: