Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
I'm am going to try for it, little to no chance, but I will never forgive myself if I don't. I'm in the same boat everyone else is in. My imagination runs wild so no problem there, it's the writing ... I was going to make it 100% ... well not 100% you can't really get 100% for something that's already there but 75% new, not going to write about Rian, I really don't like rules and confinements on stories, it should be here's the world, here are the beings that inhabit it, now run with it. And I'm completely confused now because didn't it state somewhere that the Skeksis didn't turn evil and mean until the last few hundred years before Jen healed the crystal? I wish they'd make up their minds already.

Uwizll

Reaction score
I know what you mean -- 100% new story. I want to do the same. I wish they didn't throw this Rian discovers the Truth business.

I have to say, I am very impressed with the 7 Gelfling Clans. Sounds like Kira has Vespa blood. I'm thinking Jen was a Woodland Gelflings. The Clan descriptions definitely made me want to start writing! But Rian and other contradictions and vague-nesses have stumped/inhibited my creativity.

"... didn't it state somewhere that the Skeksis didn't turn evil and mean until the last few hundred years before Jen healed the crystal? "

I own Brian Froud's The World of Dark Crystal, which I've been scouring through the last 2 days for information and inspiration. I've always assumed that it is canon. (The Writings of Aughra page in the Author's Resources PDF is a quote from The World of Dark Crystal.)

That book is written from Aughra's perspective. It states that when the Skeksis first divided from the urRu, "they still shone with a fire that could deceive the eye, dazzling like flame on sharp-edged swords... Yet their speech was still like music... They knew best of all arts: the skill of flattery. Many Gelfling fell to their lures."

I've understood the timeline to be like this:
  • Division of urRu and Skeksis
  • Skeksis co-exist with Gelfling, who trust the Skeksis
  • "7 circles of 7 Gelflings" create the Prophecy and the Wall of Destiny.
  • The Prophecy shows the Skeksis that the Gelfing race is a threat so,
  • the Skeksis create the Garthim and begin exterminating Gelflings
Sorry, I'm rambling! Henson Co.! If you see this -- please release some clarifications. Thank you.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Thank you.

Edit: And not a question box in sight. Phooey.
I know! I scoured that page for a good half-hour! I'm debating going on with this Contest. I have a really good idea for a Dark Crystal novel, but every time I sit down to outline the same dang questions pop up! Bah! *twiddles thumbs*

Sorry to rant on here. Thanks for listening, Zeppo!
I'm assuming you two don't have facebooks because I'm looking right at the box you type something in. It's at the top of the left column and it says "write something" in the box

Uwizll

Reaction score
Dang. Seriously?

Thanks, Sgt Floyd. You're right, I do not have a FB profile. Don't want one, either, but... Blast!

Again, thank you.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Though, to be fair...who knows if they'd actually answer questions asked or not :/

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I have a Facebook account. I was just looking to see if they had a box specifically for asking questions about the writing contest, to make sure they would be answered.

Uwizll

Reaction score
http://geekdad.com/2013/06/dark-crystal-contest-to-revive-franchise/

Ethan Gilsdorf, author of the above article says

I have an interesting explanation from the Henson Company as to why they’re doing this. Stay tuned for my next post.
I hope the next post will have some more info for us, ZeppoandFriends. I have a good outline for the novel going, but I'm going to feel like an idiot if Henson Co. rejects the submission because I wasn't clear on what they wanted in the first place.

(I wonder if Henson Co. even knows what they want, hence the vagueness.)

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I did just reread the official rules, though. It said a complete story.

I'm taking that to mean, no open ends, or setting up a larger arc (which kind of stinks for me, I can't seem to stop myself from doing it).

And thanks for the post, but I need to learn to stop reading the comment section on those things.

If the comments aren't hateful and insulting, they're 'I want to see this!', 'I want to see that!' and 'I want to see some other thing!' It gets me all freaked out that I'm going in the wrong direction and I start trying to add things that don't fit. Then, the fact that they don't fit makes me second guess everything about my story and makes me wonder if I'm even cut out for this. Then my insecurity kicks in and I just give up.

Sometimes I think my psyche has it out for me.

Uwizll

Reaction score
You've got an eagle eye, my friend!

(That, or I'm just blind...)

But this kind of insight and information is what I've been asking for and needing. I'm kind of bummed, I was kind of planning this epic quest -- an arc that could last several books. But I'm grateful that I have my answer: the story should be complete and standalone.

(Bummer... :'( )

And I'm sorry--I'm sure the comments you've been seeing around the Internet are all from me.

Sorry about that. I tend to ramble on about Dark Crystal. I need to rein myself in.

Don't lose confidence in yourself though. Write your story. Don't let other people *cough cough--or my own* opinions change your story at all.

When all this is done, I'd love to swap stories, if you wanted to.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
They weren't all your comments. If they were, then you apparently want to see the Dark Crystal universe split into several dozen alternate continuities, because not one comment gelled with another.

This is the biggest problem when you get into writing for an established universe. Everyone has something they want to see, everyone has an opinion and the loudest ones are those who think the franchise should cater to them. Not to mention all the sour grapes from the sore losers when everything is said and done.

My main problem now is getting my brain outta whack. All morning I was unconsciously typing 'Dalek' when I meant 'Skeksis' and when I realized I was doing it, my brain went off on a tangent about aliens invading Thra.