Dark Crystal?! Freaky?!

Gerard

Reaction score
I rented the dark crystal the other day, and mum couldn't watch it, she thought it was 'freaky' and 'gross', I loved it :flirt: , does anybody else think it's freaky?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Well, we've got little bitty creatures having their souls sucked out by giant skeleton-like birds. Not exactly the cheeriest of stories. It's got amazing production design, but the film is quite a bit dark, even for my tastes.

Gerard

Reaction score
Mmmm. Thats probably why I prefer Labyrinth, a little more fun.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
When I was little

When I was little, my dad would rent it and it would scare me so bad! expecialy the part where they suck out there essence, it just creept me out! I LOVE the movie now! but it is kinda dark... My little cousins were afraid of the Labrinth when I showed them my movie, they really hate when teh gobblens coem and take Toby, they star screeming and crying! :crazy:

wockawocka

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
Well, we've got little bitty creatures having their souls sucked out by giant skeleton-like birds. Not exactly the cheeriest of stories. It's got amazing production design, but the film is quite a bit dark, even for my tastes.
Yeah, haha, it is a little freaky. I finally got it from the library a few weeks ago. It just wasn't really my kind of movie, but it was ok. I LOVED The Labyrinth though!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
It took me a couple viewings to really get into "Labyrinth." I liked certain aspects the first time around, but for some reason the movie as a whole just really didn't click with me. I like it a lot better now, but I still prefer "The Dark Crystal," I think. I just think the ending is so cool. I love how order is restored by the two groups coming together... just reall neat.
Erin

Reaction score
I have loved that movie ever since it came out. It's a joyful and amazing adventure! Every Henson fan should watch it if they have not yet. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I remember the first time i heard about my dad told me. It was the book about Jim Henson. Its in the collectibles under books. But he told me about and I was like cool neat and one thing i remember him telling me was its not w/ the muppets like Kermit, Fozzie and Piggy its w/ werid creatures. Then it happen one night that it came on Disney Channel and that same night a friend spent-the-night we were in our teens so it no being scared but it was cool for the first time to have a friend over who didn't care about watching a movie from the same company that had brought the muppets. We played along w/ it like where u play u pick character to be in the movie and pretend u him or her or something but cool as it can be i was like this is neat after wanting to see it so bad I finally got to. Awsome memirous. (bad spelling)

Patty

Reaction score
I adored Dark Crystal when I was a kid. The film was a perfect blend of dark subject matter and simple storytelling. Best of all: the film didn't feel like it was talking down to me (as a child).

I hated Labyrinth when I first saw it. The film fell into every "kiddie movie" trap that Dark Crystal avoided. I thought that Dark Crystal was unique and different; Labyrinth was just a weaker Muppet entry with boring music and a cardboard story.

As a kid, I thought Labyrinth was a "sell-out;" it was as if Henson regretted taking risks with Dark Crystal, and thus he made a more mainstreamed movie. (he practically said as much in interviews.)

My Labyrinth views have softened over the years ... I appreciate it for the work involved. But I still feel that Dark Crystal is the superior project. In my eyes, Dark Crystal is art; Labyrinth is a kiddie movie.

Chihiro

Reaction score
Labyrinth was art... I don't know why it is consider a "sell-out"... I have yet to see any fantasy film like Labyrinth or Dark Crystall for that matter. But all that is my opinion.

I like The Dark Crystall for the same fact I like Labyrinth... Both good stories and both diffrent. I enjoy the fact that the Dark Crystall is all muppets. It makes it unique but Labyrinth showed a little reall life human action which was also inspiring.