Dark Crystal and Labyrinth Superbit Reviews

smcguire

Reaction score
The DVD news website DVDFile has put up reviews of the "Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth" Superbit DVD releases:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_6/darkcrystal_sb.html

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_6/labyrinth_sb.html

Unfortunately they don't really compare them to the previous DVD releases, which is what I imagine most folks here would be interested in hearing about

I've ordered both the Superbit versions of these DVDs and I hope to post a comparison with the "regular" DVD releases once I've got them.

--Scott McGuire

scarecroe

Reaction score
I saw these this morning, thanks for posting :big_grin:

Neither one says whether or not they're using the same print as was used on the previous edition; my bet is that they are.

I'll eventually be picking them up, but can't afford them for a while. I look forward to you posting your comparison :cool:

smcguire

Reaction score

smcguire

Reaction score
Okay, finally got my discs so here's a short summary.

"The Dark Crystal" Superbit is virtually indistiguishable from the original release in terms of picture and audio. There may be a slightly increased level of detail in the picture, but you have to look really hard for it. And the print used to create the video is exactly the same, so all of the dirt and dust that appears on the original release is also on the Superbit. Considering the Superbit release drops the extras from the original, I can't really recommend anyone get "The Dark Crystal" Superbit. Just stick to the original release.

The decision is less clear with the "Labyrinth" Superbit release. The video picture has modest improvements - it definitely shows some more detail, looks sharper, and has less "shimmer" to it in many scenes. The sound is also better - the original only had a Dolby Pro Logic mix, whereas the SuperBit release comes with two 5.1 mixes (a Dolby Digital and a DTS one). The two new 5.1 tracks are nearly identical to each other (although the DTS one is recorded at a louder volume), but they are both have better clarity and range than the original's Pro Logic soundtrack to my ears. The spatial mix is essentially the same, but there's better separation. I thought the original's soundtrack was a little muddy sounding, so this is a welcome improvement.

Should folks get the new version of "Labyrinth"? If you have a good display and a good home theater sound system and you love the movie, you should consider it. But many folks with just an ordinary TV and speakers probably wouldn't notice the difference in picture or video, and once again it drops the nice making-of documentary and trailers that appears on the original release.

For the record, I have a Sony Wega 27" TV that can take advantage of anamorphic enhancement - it's probably not considered a real "home theater" display by enthusiasts, but it's high quality for a 27" TV, and I could definitely see the difference between the video of the two Labyrinth releases.

I hope to write up a longer review, with screenshots showing the differences in picture, eventually.

Hope this helps folks for now, though!

--Scott McGuire

scarecroe

Reaction score
That's excellent Scott, thanks.

I got a similar impression from the DVDFile and DVDTalk reviews as well. That is, that DC isn't worth getting, but Labyrinth is.

What bugs me about the SuperBit DC release is that they could have used a new print. In fact, according to worldoffroud.com, a new print was used for the re-release of the film in Paris last December...

THE DARK CRYSTAL RE-RELEASE PREMIERE A SUCCESS IN PARIS

On December 4, Carlotta Films, a Paris based film group specializing in the re-release of classic America films from the 70's and 80's, premiered a pristine, new 35mm print of THE DARK CRYSTAL at the Sortie Au Cinema, with special guests Brian and Wendy Froud. After a full day of press interviews for magazines, radio and television, the Frouds answered questions from an enthusiastic audience. "We are very impressed with the respect the French have for the film," Brian and Wendy said, "and we feel very honored to be here. Talking about and seeing the film again reminds us what an extraordinary experience it was making the film, one that we will never have again because of the evolution of film technology." The film will be in release through March 2003 in theaters throughout France. The Frouds and Robert Gould would like to sincerely thank Vincent from Carlotta Films who was a wonderful and generous host and made it all possible.

We include here the French promotional materials for the re-release created by Carlotta Films.

smcguire

Reaction score
You're welcome, Scott.

Probably the French company paid for the new print, and Columbia Tristar would have had to either pay for their own or reimburse the French company for use in some way. But yeah, it's too bad they didn't spring for a new print for the Dark Crystal Superbit (although from what I've read, in general all the Superbits have just re-used existing prints and transfers... draw what conclusions from that you will).

--Scott McGuire

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by smcguire
re-used existing prints and transfers... draw what conclusions from that you will
Quick buck anyone? :wink:

Too bad though. I really can't afford a ticket to France to see the film before the end of the month either :smirk: