Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Drtooth

Reaction score
Accidentally deleted my post because it somehow posted twice...

Anyway, I remember a story about June Foray almost not getting the role of Granny in Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries because they wanted her to sound like the other voice actress who played her in the old cartoons. Suffice to say, she was ticked off, called them out on it and got the job anyway.

Always remember, WB has multiple alternates for voices of Looney Tunes characters, and that's clearly so they don't have exclusivity and can keep the VA's salaries down. They also apparently have this for HB characters. For the longest time they had a Fred Flintstone for TV specials (Jeff Bergman) and a different one for Pebbles ads (James Arnold Taylor).

I have the feeling if this was done under the supervision of Craig, he would have fought harder to get the voice actresses back. Then again, that would also have him leaving Wander, and I feel that's his best show to date. Hate for the quality of that to go down because of a remake.

That's true,just about anything would be better than the sixth season. Heck,six hours of watching Betty White swallow a banana whole and pulling it back out through her nose,would be way more entertaining than the last season of PPG.
Asperations was good. I believe that was last season, but I need to check. It was a deep, sort of dark episode about the Gangrene Gang, who are usually gag villains, plus it answered the burning question of where Sedusa went. And the one about the parental group keeping the PPG down was biting. And it used the voice actors of Cosmo and Wanda as those parents, in other words, direct casting from a rival network. But other than that? Dumb gimmicky episodes, Flanderized Mayor... they somehow managed to run out of ideas even though there was still potential in their story. THAT'S my concern with the new series. If they can keep the level of writing quality second- fourth season level, and find new angles they haven't used yet. If they can accomplish that, I can definitely look the other way as far as casting. I can see that might just be the case out of the scant previews.

One more thing. I noticed that CN is oddly showing interest in Lakewood Plaza Turbo. It's this ap based game and all the PPG previews link to both the full short and short clips of the short. Are they going to pull an Uncle Grandpa and go through with the series well after the pilot was made? Or is it just an odd move?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Asperations was good. I believe that was last season, but I need to check. It was a deep, sort of dark episode about the Gangrene Gang, who are usually gag villains, plus it answered the burning question of where Sedusa went. And the one about the parental group keeping the PPG down was biting. And it used the voice actors of Cosmo and Wanda as those parents, in other words, direct casting from a rival network. But other than that? Dumb gimmicky episodes, Flanderized Mayor... they somehow managed to run out of ideas even though there was still potential in their story. THAT'S my concern with the new series. If they can keep the level of writing quality second- fourth season level, and find new angles they haven't used yet. If they can accomplish that, I can definitely look the other way as far as casting. I can see that might just be the case out of the scant previews.
Hmm,I think I may have missed that episode,it sounds very interesting. I could probably find it on Netflix.

One more thing. I noticed that CN is oddly showing interest in Lakewood Plaza Turbo. It's this ap based game and all the PPG previews link to both the full short and short clips of the short. Are they going to pull an Uncle Grandpa and go through with the series well after the pilot was made? Or is it just an odd move?
I think it's just a bunch of shorts specifically for the app for now. It hasn't been officially confirmed as a full series yet. The creator Ian Jones Quartey left Steven Universe last year and he said that he would be "moving on to other things".

mr3urious

Reaction score
"Girls Gone Mild" really could have been better, namely in depicting Stan and Sandra Practice's side of the story, like showing kids actually imitating their violent acts as they so claimed was going on. Would have added a nice even-handed conflict to things rather than just have those two be a couple of strawmen. Or maybe show other members of P.A.P.P. at their side backing up their cause.

I'd say "City of Clipsville" was one of the better S6 episodes, as it was a fun parody of clip shows, especially the way it started off with actual clips from past episodes before devolving into nonsensical ones created just for this episode, such as the clip of the PPGs as vapid teens too distracted by shopping and hormones to actually fight evil.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And I wonder of Jim Cummings will return to voice Fuzzy Lumpkins? The only other VA I know who can pull off a hillbilly voice like that is Stephen Root. The voices he uses for Bill Dauterive and Buck Strickland don't sound too different from ol' Fuzzy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say "City of Clipsville" was one of the better S6 episodes, as it was a fun parody of clip shows, especially the way it started off with actual clips from past episodes before devolving into nonsensical ones created just for this episode, such as the clip of the PPGs as vapid teens too distracted by shopping and hormones to actually fight evil.
I think that was season five, maybe? I have the box set and I have to check that out. Some of the online episode guides have things out of order. One had the Bullwinkle tribute episode listed as season 6, but it occurred before that.

But I'm not surprised that "Girls Gone Mild" isn't even handed. Even with the most pure of intention, a parental group is the mortal enemy of the cartoonist/animator. I did like that Family Guy-esque scene where they're trying to get the police to capture the car thief, only to be completely ignored. Plus, I liked the nice little touch that the Practices lived in the suburbs and were completely safe from any of the criminals, until they weren't. But I get that there could have been a nice thing in there about how kids shouldn't imitate television. And I do think they covered excessive force used by super heroes nicely in The Town of Cityville, but they really could have expanded on that. Nice to see it lampshaded somehow.

And I wonder of Jim Cummings will return to voice Fuzzy Lumpkins? The only other VA I know who can pull off a hillbilly voice like that is Stephen Root. The voices he uses for Bill Dauterive and Buck Strickland don't sound too different from ol' Fuzzy.
I wonder how many old villains will return period. Mojo Jojo is confirmed by the trailers, but every other clip I see is either of kaiju or some new and or one shot villains.

One preview shows something..well...interesting. They have new powers (even though they were barely defined in the first place, going for the kitchen sink approach). These somehow manifest into (and I'm struggling to find a good enough explanation of it) energy based avatars of some sort. Bubbles being a Teddy Bear, Buttercup's being a canon with a boxing glove at the end of it. Forgot what Blossom's was though. I'm wondering if they're going to have more set, defined special attacks rather than everything possible with one tiny thing thrown in for each character.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wonder how many old villains will return period. Mojo Jojo is confirmed by the trailers, but every other clip I see is either of kaiju or some new and or one shot villains.
Supposedly Princess Morbucks will be back, though Jennifer Hale will not be voicing her.

Muppy

Reaction score
Supposedly Princess Morbucks will be back, though Jennifer Hale will not be voicing her.
Princess Morbucks was seen in a promo for the show, so I can confirm she'll return. Too bad she isn't being voiced by Jennifer Hale (EVEN THOUGH JENNIFER IS STILL VOICING MISS. KEANE ...)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also saw Him. Kinda wish they'd junk Morbucks for more original characters, though. I never liked her, and thought she was a weak villain. I liked the idea of an obnoxious fan turning on their hero, but...well...Incredibles did a better job of that.

That said, this may just stick in someone's craw, but while the original VA's aren't returning to their same roles here, the new Justice League cartoon brings back Batman TAS's original line of Kevin Conroy as Bats and Mark Hamil as the Joker, even though he previously retired from the role. Guess they think more of DC comics fans than PPG ones? Then again, when super hero comics are involved you don't really hear the same complaint about recasts because they're different versions of the characters. These are more or less the same girls, just oddly voiced by other people for some reason.

And betchya they do bring the original PPG VA's back... for other roles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This will no doubt annoy the heck out of some old PPG fans, but this extended theme from the new series shows a key element of the new series...

The Girls are actually older. And in anywhere from grade school to Junior High at least. So this isn't so much a reboot as a time shift sequel. I don't mind it myself. At least it would explain why their voices changed. I do like how the phone alert moved to more modern tech to show they've aged.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like we will have most of the classic villains we all know and love, and that lumberjack will be part of the main rogues gallery, too. Hopefully the Rowdyruff Boys will also make a return. :smile:

The Girls are actually older. And in anywhere from grade school to Junior High at least. So this isn't so much a reboot as a time shift sequel.
It could be worse. They could be a bunch of teenage bimbos like in that clip show episode I mentioned earlier. :big_grin: