Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
It was more of a comment on how much of a loser this guy is. Seriously? A news crew comes to your house to interview you about something stupid, and you dress like a fat slob?

Drtooth

Reaction score
quote from idiot dad;

because its idiots like you that try to make something out of nothing!:mad: Was he even LISTENING to the sentence? it is clear that he was just saying gee gobo really fast!

The fact that the Hub is editing it shows the lack of a spine they have. They clearly could have said "That's not what they said at all, and editing it out wouldn't make much sense, and then make us look guilty of something we're not." Instead they handled the whole ordeal as "AAAAHHHH!!! Don't write another letter to us! That would be 2 letters! 2 letters equals 2 trillion letters in the TV complaints world! We'll do it! We'll do it! Please don't hurt us."

I say we write our OWN complaint letters to the Hub asking them not to edit the show due to the complaints of one lone wacko with a hearing problem.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
JHC is being equally weak willed about it. Since when would Jerry Juhl write a racial slur into a script? When would Jim Henson, who said that the very purpose of Fraggle Rock was to "Bring world peace," and was friends with Harry Belafonte allow a racial slur?! Seriously, this is ree-dawnk-ulous. Don't back the network, JHC. Stand up for your ****** legacy!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Don't write another letter to us! That would be 2 letters! 2 letters equals 2 trillion letters in the TV complaints world! We'll do it! We'll do it! Please don't hurt us."
If there's even a hint that a network could lose money through bad publicity, they get nervous. It's always been that way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think these kinds of complaints, if they happen, often come from a relatively small handful of people. Most people are too busy with their lives to freak out over a TV show. But because the networks freak out so much, the complaints appear bigger than they are.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
JHC is being equally weak willed about it. Since when would Jerry Juhl write a racial slur into a script? When would Jim Henson, who said that the very purpose of Fraggle Rock was to "Bring world peace," and was friends with Harry Belafonte allow a racial slur?! Seriously, this is ree-dawnk-ulous. Don't back the network, JHC. Stand up for your ****** legacy!
I thought the article was saying that JHC backs the Hub's interpretation of the script in that it was "Gee Gobo" not that it was backing the editing of it out.

beaker

Reaction score
Fraggle Rock's mission was to destroy the chains of racism, bigotry, divisiveness, and to promote peace and friendship. Understand, and song. Im surprised they didnt complain about the "minstrels".

Here's the main problem: hardly anyone got to see Fraggle Rock in the 80's. Another reason there will never be a movie: who is the audience going to be? Poor people like me, especially inner city and lower income household kids never got to see the show.
You had to not just have cable, but HBO on top of that. Had it been on a regular station, infinite more people could have seen it and been touched by it.

Tho, the reason I kind of like this story is because it cheers me up knowing a new generation of kids are watching...so thanks Hub!

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there's even a hint that a network could lose money through bad publicity, they get nervous. It's always been that way.
Yeah. I forgot we're dealing with a kid's show and how anal retentive parental groups can get. No candy commercials, no this, no that. The bad PR from a bunch of overbearing nimrods (with good intentions... but we know what is paved with good intentions) kills everything.

Still, I find both Hub and JHC weak to go to the defense. Did Sesame Workshop ever recall those Elmo toys that sorta kinda sound like they're saying something? I mean, other than the one that contained lead paint? Though they always weakly apologize for everything... even though in the old days they stood their ground on diversity and the fact the Count is a parody character.

The fact they corrected this is no better than Disney correcting the knee in The Little Mermaid because someone said it was a..... you know. Half of those are rumors spread by college frat boys.