Dad hears a "racial slur" on Fraggle Rock

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow....just...wow.

How has political correctness helped society again?
This isn't a political correctness problem, this is an idiot that needs a hearing aid. This is NO worse than the ear wax build up mothers who claim that Elmo toys were telling their kids to go out and kill someone when they really said "Hhrrmmmwrrrpphhttt phhhrrttfft kkkkkkkkhhhrtz."

The fact that the Hub is going to edit "Gee, Gobo" because it almost sorta kinda sounds like a slur that NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT after ONE complaint shows the lack of backbone on all counts. They're acting like Boober set fire to the Jamaican flag. It's ONE complaint.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This isn't a political correctness problem
I disagree; this is the definition of political correctness. People obsessing over nonsense and in the process attacking good things, instead of going after actual racism.

The fact that the Hub is going to edit "Gee, Gobo" because it almost sorta kinda sounds like a slur that NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT after ONE complaint shows the lack of backbone on all counts.
People often lack a backbone when faced with political correctness. And then they wonder why their attempts at "fixing" things don't end up improving society.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't even like the term political correctness. That implies politics, and basically saying it's all the left because they're all the same granola munching hippy stereotype. I rather think of it as anal retentive correctness. That's exactly what this is. Some guy was offended by what he thought he heard. In a show that's well over 25 years old no less. A Kid's not going to know what the racial slur was, nor are they going to know what race it applies to if it's a bunch of Muppets that live underground and there ARE no races.

That said, I only find out about slurs when someone complains about them. First time I heard the N word and heard what it applied to was an episode of "It's a Different World" where they were trying to say how bad it was.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't even like the term political correctness. That implies politics, and basically saying it's all the left because they're all the same granola munching hippy stereotype. I rather think of it as anal retentive correctness. That's exactly what this is.
Well it is pretty much the left who fuels this stuff. :wink: Not all the left, but when it comes up, it's overwhelming from left people. (And please don't start telling me why the right is also bad, I know it is. :wink: )

And no offense but the attempt to name it something supposedly neutral is kind of reminiscent of political correctness too.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Boy those parents are sure quite dumb for one line on fraggle rock.

Walter

Reaction score
quote from idiot dad;
If it's a mistake then why (are) you gonna edit it out?
because its idiots like you that try to make something out of nothing!:mad: Was he even LISTENING to the sentence? it is clear that he was just saying gee gobo really fast!

...what a world:sigh:

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I kinda found it funny how the fact that Gobo was wearing a Jamaican hat had something to do with anything.

How many times has Wembley started the sentence, "Gee, Gobo?"? This shouldn't have even been on the news. What happened to the days where insane people were left to rant on about whatever they wanted and we just politely averted our gaze?
Yea good point.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I think this is just a HUGE misunderstanding! First of all, I don't even know what that word the dad thinks he heard means and I'm not sure I want to know. They shouldn't be editing that clip at all, it's fine the way it is! It's obvious that Wembley said, "Gee, Gobo..." instead of that slur. Personally, I think what Heralde says is true, maybe the parents aren't familiar with the show when they were growing up, but they shouldn't make such a big deal out of it!