D-Day Memorial Troubles...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hey, Friends!

I suppose you’re probably wondering why I’m posting information about this in this forum? Well, it kind of has ties to our normal discussions. Joe Raposo also wrote the music for, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,” a musical based on a character created by Charles Schulz, who for years worked to benefit the National D-Day Memorial. Being a big fan of Schulz, I've passed on the word about the Memorial as well as donating to the Foundation, even if it is only $10.00 here and there...but, whatever helps, right?

On June 6, 1944, the allies came together against the Nazis in a major push to become victorious during WWII. Part of the battles driving a Red Cross ambulance was our hero, Charles M. Schulz, creator of Peanuts and Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Sparky, as friends called him, celebrated this victory every year with a comic strip dedicated to D-Day on the anniversary date, and became a major supporter of the National D-Day Memorial.

In more recent years, the Mid-South Cartoonists Association held a tribute art show in honor of Schulz after his passing with portions of the proceeds benefiting the National D-Day Memorial Foundation.

Our support of this memorial isn’t just a tribute to Schulz and his work to benefit this organization and his work during WWII, but to those people from WWII who we’ve known over the years and who still walk around today with bits and pieces of metal in them where they may have been blown-up by mortar bombs or shot!

It also is a Memorial with a section dedicated to WWII cartoons, including works by Schulz, Bill Mauldin, and Walt Disney.

Below is the letter I received from them requesting funds, as well as a copy (as best I could do) for a donation form based on what they sent me).

If you can help, please do. It’s the only WWII Memorial of its type in the USA, and the only reminder of the hard work of our fighting forces of that period.

Thanks
Kev

The National D-Day Memorial Foundation
POB 77
Bedford VA 24523
800-351-DDAY
540-586-DDAY
540-586-7200 FX
dday@dday.org
www.dday.org

July 11, 2003

Dear Friend:

Mere days after President George W. Bush dedicated it on 6 June 2001, the National D-Day Memorial found itself in real peril. The bold effort that built it failed to pay for it. As Patton’s Third Army had done fifty-seven years earlier, this Foundation had dangerously outdistanced its supply lines. For the last two years, the Foundation has struggled hand to hand and hand to mouth to keep the Memorial open. With the material and moral support of people like you, it has succeeded in that struggle. That is very good news indeed.

So is the Foundation’s sustained success in support of education. Already next fall’s on-site educational programs for regional school children are almost fully booked. This spring more than 6,000 students took part in learning–based activities at the Memorial, which is now among the most visited attractions in the mid-Atlantic. More than a little of that we owe to the unstinting efforts of the Foundation’s volunteers, who in 2002 donated more than nine and a half years’ service, which is to say the labor of additional nine full-time and one halftime employees. In round numbers, that collective contribution amounts to more than $380,000 saved in compensation and benefits, and most of that savings has gone toward debt retirement.

The Foundation’s recent settlement with its major creditors is more welcome news. Last November the Foundation petitioned the US Bankruptcy Court to allow it to reorganize under the provisions of Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. Over the next several weeks, the Foundation and its creditors fashioned a mutually satisfactory agreement that provides for dollar-for-dollar payment of all debts in a period of five years or less. The agreement is at the heart of a confirmed plan that permitted the Foundation to emerge from bankruptcy on 19 June.

The establishment of a $150,000 operational reserve is a central tenet of the plan. Until that reserve is in place, the Foundation cannot resume its debt retirement effort—an effort that has reduced the debt from $5.9 million to $3.6 million. I hope you will help the Foundation establish that reserve. If each person receiving this letter responded with a contribution of $150.00, the Foundation could have its reserve and reduce the debt by another half-million dollars.

Of course, not everyone can give $150.00; others comfortably can give many times that amount. Whatever your particular circumstance, please do what you can to help. Your support of the National D-Day Memorial is an investment in the legacy of valor, fidelity, and sacrifice—a legacy that inspires and sustains the men and women who preserve our freedom even today.

Sincerely yours,

William A. McIntosh
President

_______________________________________________________________
National D-Day Memorial Foundation Donor Response Form
Name:
Address:
City,State,Zip:
Phone Number:
-------
YES, I want to help support the mission of the National D-Day Memorial Foundation by making a donation in the amount of $_______________, with payment to be made by:
[ ] CHECK to the “National D-Day Memorial Foundation”
[ ] CREDIT CARD
[ ]Visa [ ]MasterCard [ ]Discover [ ]AmEx
Account#:_____________________________________
Expiration Date: (MM/YY) _______/________
Signature:_____________________________________
[ ] PLEDGE PAYMENTS in the amount of $_______________
to be paid [monthly/quarterly/annually], with a
begin date of:___/___/___
Signature:_____________________________________
[ ] I want to become an ANNUAL SUPPORTER at the following level of giving:
[ ]Individual $35.00