Cutting foam

biblebetty

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice, I have made my talking gift puppet and I'm very happy with them. and I builted a whale (he is 5ft long by 2ft high) now I'm trying to build a people puppet and I'm using 1 inch foam. David suggest something between 1/2 and 1inch foam. (sorry don't remember the number) well I can't find any foam in that size any were! If I use 1/2 the puppet head is not strong enough and will colapes. If I use 1 inch foam the puppet head is to big and bulkie. and what do you cut the foam with to get the nice edges. I have tried sissors, an electic knive even a quilter cutter. nothing gets those clean edges. I NEED HELP!

thank-you

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Methods Suggestion

Hello there!

Good to hear that construction is still alive and kicking :smile:
In reference to your question, what has worked for me in the past was either a) a reeeeally sharp pair of scissors (the ones that seem outrageously priced - not all of them, but look into Fiskars stuff) or b) surprisingly, a bread knife or a dull bladed knife. Or alternatively you could just get one of those 'scissor-guides' like they use to cut various materials at fabric shops and attach that to a flat surface. I guess my next question should be "what type of foam are you using?"

Different products have differing shears (ranging from a nice, clean cut, to just plain raggedy). I just used standard polyfoam (about 3/4") for my first few tries, and that cut really well with scissors (BTW, if you can't find one in the size you want, get thicker than you need, and then just slice it in half with whatever method works for you. I hope I could help! Keep on chugging along - I'd love to see your finished product!

Oh, and also, about your 'saggy puppet' issue, for me personally, I don't necessarily build my puppet around the foam. I build what will work with my hand, and just use the foam as a basic structure supported by my hand-work and the batting that I put into it. When I (finally) post my puppet images (i posted that really long yarn about my attempt), that'll give you a bit of insight into my methodology, although a lot of it is interior work. Post your pics when you finish! :smile:

Waiting to see the result,
Adam

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
The best tool for cutting is a band saw, but if you don't have one then try the methods listed by Adam. :smile:

biblebetty

Reaction score
thanks guys, I use good thick foam, I have a foam factory here in California. I made three talking gift boxes for a christmas show call the "greatest Gift". where three gifts are agrueing about who the greatest gift is. I think they came out good. I have a camera for the computer but I don't know how to use it to show you guys.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
I can't believe that slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me Fish!

Yea, by all means go with a band saw first and foremost (I have one, but I kinda had trouble with it from the get-go...I'm not reliable when it comes to machine tools...hehehe). I've actually had trouble myself with using foam all throughout the puppet (it ended up being stiff and stodgy - it wouldn't mould to my hand for easy movement - but whatever you need, that's prob the best way). Band saw. Nuff said. :smile:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
[for biblebetty] Y'know something....

EDIT [Urg! This was supposed to be in biblebetty's reply thread, oh well... Hey Phil, do you want to move this, man? I don't want to write it again to save cluttering up your nice sparkly boards...]

I was just thinking, "why not memory foam?" (that stuff they put in newer - so-called "high-tech" mattresses). It would (should) mould to your hand, and I couldn't see it being very restrictive to movement. Hmm...that's a noodle-scratcher. I'm almost tempted to check it out. :smile: Prob pretty expensive though.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PukkaPukka,

I moved the post for you.

Yahnke

Reaction score
this might sound insane, but i use my wood carving knife to cut my foam and i use 1" thick foam. THe knife is VERY sharp yet I can easily control it because I am used to using it from wood carving. It give you nice, even, clean edges, scissors might give you clean edges, but i find it difficult to get even edges with them. anyway. I have never tried the band saw or the electric knife yet. One inch foam is very durable but it does add some weight to your puppet!

biblebetty

Reaction score
What does a wood carving knife look like, see I have an electic carving knife and I can't control it very will, the sissors I use is ok until I have to cut a curve or small edge then the edge is very jagged and to glue it together its shape doesn't look really nice.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are a number of companies in the US that will provide 3/4" thick foam, which is what I use. Foam factories should be able to provide that thickness as well (though you may have to buy a large quantities).

Check out the Puppetry Homepage puppet building section for some US suppliers.