Customers on Mopatop's Shop

P

Philip Kippel

I recently watched the video clips on the "Mopatop's Shop" web site. Some of the old Muppet creatures that I recognized in them were:

Shakey Sanchez
Wander McMooch
Talking Food
One of the plants from John Denver's "Garden Song"
Philo or Gunge
a Boar (probably from "Muppet Treasure Island")
Raymond the Porcupine (from "Muppets Tonight")
Mice (from "The Muppet Christmas Carol")
Canary (from "The Muppet Show")

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

It's actually a crying shame how Moppatops and Hoobs aren't featured more at Muppet sites. There needs to be guides, pictures and lots more information.
Mainly because those shows are only seen in certain places on the globe. Though I think it's wonderful that the Muppets transend culture and are beloved all over the world, I wish that they'd share Mopatops shop and Hoobs with the Americans (i.e. me). I don't know what I'm missing apparnetly. I mean, PBS had a huge choice of British imports, and they had to go with shudder.. Teletubbies?

I wish I could see this stuff. It's probably really cool!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Mainly because those shows are only seen in certain places on the globe. Though I think it's wonderful that the Muppets transend culture and are beloved all over the world, I wish that they'd share Mopatops shop and Hoobs with the Americans (i.e. me). I don't know what I'm missing apparnetly. I mean, PBS had a huge choice of British imports, and they had to go with shudder.. Teletubbies?

I wish I could see this stuff. It's probably really cool!
I think its a shame two-fold: 1) Nobody ever is interested stateside of Mopatops or Hoobs(despite the fact Mopatops is ripe with TMS, FR, etc cameos) nor has any desire to do anything about it it seems. I mean wouldnt we all love to see that I love the Muppets BBC special?

2) These are only seen in the UK and Europe so its a little hard to be excited about it when its nealry impossible to see it...
and sorry to say but trying to seek out Canadian satelite vhs trade circles is more than what people should be required to do.

3) It's a cold war. If Im a European Im gonna think 'well thats what it feels like when you guys get say an exclusive Muppet special or show'. and US people will say 'Well how am I spose to be excited about something I dont have access to'

Aw the lameness of PAL formats. *sigh*

the only answer is vcd conversions...and Im sorry if JHC is reading this, but what are we as fans spose to do? Are these shows intended to only be seen by Europeans solely?

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Are these shows intended to only be seen by Europeans solely?
Yes, thats why Moppatop has a Birmingham accent. You'd probably need subtitles in the states ! ;-)

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Aw the lameness of PAL formats. *sigh*

Dont you mean "Aw the lameness of NTSC formats. *sigh*" ?

But its true, All you gotta do is trade with someone from Canada.

I think that if someone like me manages to get rare stuff that never aired in England, Then people in the US should be able to get stuff from Canada.

People just have to help themselves.

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Yup PAL is a far superior format to NTSC. It has much better definition and frame speed.

beaker

Reaction score
Yes, thats why Moppatop has a Birmingham accent. You'd probably need subtitles in the states ! ;-)
What the heck are you talking about? Mopatops is in English, which we all speak for the most part in American and Canada.
As long as its not in that strange cockney 'Snatch movie' gibberish it's perfectly understandable. Sure the British English has that kind of pippin poppy pants quality to it, but that's signature UK. I would hate if American productions got dubbed in 'UK English' or vice versa.

Luke

Reaction score
Erm Cory - Moppatop DOES NOT speak in signature English which you would typically class as a Central London one (not East London - a cockney). Moppatop speaks in a Birmingham accent which is very different and regional so would be harder to understand. There's not a massive difference between Brummie accents and Liverpudlian ones (for people from Liverpool) so just think Ringo Star. In fact he voices Thomas The Tank Engine but i think his accent was cleared up a lot as he did more shows.

beaker

Reaction score
Erm Cory - Moppatop DOES NOT speak in signature English which you would typically class as a Central London one (not East London - a cockney). Moppatop speaks in a Birmingham accent which is very different and regional so would be harder to understand. There's not a massive difference between Brummie accents and Liverpudlian ones (for people from Liverpool) so just think Ringo Star. In fact he voices Thomas The Tank Engine but i think his accent was cleared up a lot as he did more shows.
Isnt Mopatop shown all over the UK, and parts of Europe?Wonder why the choice to go with that accent...itd be like going with a South Whales accent.

Second, as far as I know I understood what he was saying on the 4 episodes. Sure he soudned kind of Dopey, but I thoguht that was the character.

Anyways, are we talking about accents? As it was English to me.
I mean in the US we have Californese Janice like speach, Fargo Yaw dontcha Know talk, New York, Bawwwstonian, Southern I recon, New Orleans I gar-awn-teee, etc etc yet I understand them all.

Luke

Reaction score
Yup he sounds kinda dopey and that is the character but it's easier to achieve a dopier voice using a regional accent because they speak slower than we (Londoners) do. Maybe you guys could understand it in the states but typically in TV when a UK show is aired in the states they always prefer to use very easy to understand London accents so it's more of a political thing.