Custom patches?

mrhogg

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I was curious to know if anyone knows of a way to get custom embroidered patches (like this:http://battlestar.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/ebl252.jpg), or a good way to simulate it.

I was thinking that short of ordering a run of custom patches (when I'll need somewhere between 4 or 6), I could get some foam/fabric, and use some fabric paint to simulate the depth.

What do you think?

Klarkkent

Reaction score
You might be able to create it with an iron-on version of that photo. The quality might not be what you're looking for though. Nothing beats the real thing, but iron-ons would be cheaper and quicker.

mrhogg

Reaction score
That could work. Or maybe a combination of the two, where I thickly paint over a printout with fabric paint.

mrhogg

Reaction score
I hadn't, no, thanks for the link. I'm thinking that they should be smaller, as they're for the puppets, which are 1/4 scale, or something like that. The reduction in size will also allow for me to simplify the design somewhat.

Toasty

Reaction score
I haven't tried them personally, but CafePress started offering embroidery for designers selling items on their site.

Here's a sample...
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customize/product.aspx?clear=true&no=223

The items available for embroidery are limited, but as a "shopkeeper" (which is free to setup) you can probably buy that type of hat with your custom patch on it for about $17. With the small puppet-size scale that you need, you might be able to squeeze 2 patches side-by-side (in 1 design) and cut them apart after.

Then just trim the whole thing off the hat and attach to the puppet.

It's still costly, but could be an option for a truly custom outcome.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I was going to suggest checking out Cafepress too, or similar sites like Zazzle. Any time I've needed custom embroidered patches I've had them professionally made and it is expensive.

You can actually hand embroider your own patches with a needle and embroidery floss. If you browse some of the DIY sites like Craft you might find a good method or tutorial. There may even be low-cost embroidery machines on the market now (they used to cost upwards of $1000).

mrhogg

Reaction score
There are BSG patches on eBay -- there're a bunch, actually -- but I was looking to get something smaller. I think I'm going to go the fabric-painting-a-circle-of-fabric route, as that seems by far the cheapest (and probably even the quickest).

Thanks for the help, everybody. It's really appreciated!