Custom Little People

CherryPizza

Reaction score
It seems that whenever I'm searching for Little People merchandise on eBay (almost have a complete collection now, just need Big Bird's nest), I seem to encounter this person's store, selling custom-made figures of the current SS characters.

The spirit of Little People may be there in the figures. Even though they do look a bit like something that would be made in a high school art class, my only real concern is... Why?

So now I wonder, those who collect or desire the Little People sets, would you want the chance to include more modern characters? It's just that, for me, the charm of of Little People is their retro-ness. Having modern day characters there would, for me, just defeat the purpose of collecting a playset from the 70s.

(That said, I guess I wouldn't mind having a Telly join the Little People characters. Someone who was established pre-Follow That Bird is retro enough, I guess)

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think the demand is there, it's just an individual thing as to why each buyer may want them...you said yourself you wouldn't mind a Telly so others may have their own eras or cutoff points.

Just off the top of my head, i think the two big draws would be (1) timelessness - even though the Little People/Sesame playset may be thought of as '70's, the fact that Sesame Street still exists, characters that were there 40 years ago are still on the show today, and even though there may be design changes, one can still find Hooper's Store, 123 Sesame Street, Big Bird's nest area, the streetlamp, the mailbox...so the newer characters fit in among the classic since the heart has remained even as things and people have come and gone. (2) People not being so concerned with eras and just wanting to add more friends for their other Little People to play with - picking up where Little People proper have left off.