Culinary Culture Barriers

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Grits:

Finley grined hominy corn. It's amazing how many folks will say they don't like Grits but love hominy corn. Pete and Rizzo discussed them in TMTM in the diner:

Pete: *paraphrased* Here, Rizzo.
Rizzo: What's this?
Pete: Grits!
Rizzo: What?
Pete: Grits, grits! Hominy Grits!
Rizzo: "How many" grits?! How should I know, count 'em yourself! HA HA HA HA

I like them best with lots of butter, salt, and pepper on them, served with biscuits, ham, and eggs over medium.

We have po'boys and subway sandwiches here.

Beebers

Reaction score
That's very :cool: , I guess I would have thought they'd have some exotic term out there. Neat-O.

GAH! This is to Baby Animal's post above the above.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Beebers said:
In Connecticut and all the parts of western Mass. I've lived it's always grinders.
But eastern Mass. is hoagies and subs, right?
mostly subs... I've heard the other two on occasion, but Subs is the more common one.

we do have Gyros, though (pronounced Heroes) but that's different.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
If you told someone you were going to go get a "grinder" around here, folks would show up at your door with meats and corn to get them ground down; coffee beans even. Or bring a video camera thinking you were talking about a dancer...

Beebers

Reaction score
When my son was little he had a six-year-old friend who had just moved with his family to Mass. from Pennsylvania. He was always asking for pop instead of soda, pronouncing it pawp. Took us forever to remember what he was talking about.
Are there other local terms for soda, if any, 'round the country??

Drtooth

Reaction score
Back to the sub thing, I was passing a Pizza restauraunt and a huge sign out side said "Ace Pizza (Grinders)"

Beebers

Reaction score
At least it didn't say

Ace Bandages (Grinders).

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'm a pop gal myself. Even in PA it varies, though. My aunt moved from Erie to Hanover, PA, briefly, and while she was there she was shopping and asked someone if there was a pop machine anywhere nearby. She had no clue what my aunt was talking about. :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

leliebel

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
mostly subs... I've heard the other two on occasion, but Subs is the more common one.

we do have Gyros, though (pronounced Heroes) but that's different.

oh, we call that shoarma

leliebel

Reaction score
I had no idea, that this was such a complicated question :big_grin:

The reason I asked was because I made red candy apples yesterday (not common here) and they didn't turn out clear, bprobably because I couldn't figure out what corn sirup was and my mom advised me to use a boiled mixture of sugar and water instead, but that was basically what the rest of the recipe consisted of. Next time I'll try it with mapple sirup.

Oh And I had a whole discussion about the differance between "drop" and licorish. People always say it's the same but it's not. We have a lot of different kinds of drop in all flavours and textures, but it's not the sticky black stuff you can buy in america.