Covering the puppet

buddy06

Reaction score
Okay,

I look at my first puppet, (which looks very nice if i do say so myself) and there is a seam along the face so that the fabric would fit nicely. It doesn't look all that bad, but I was wondering how to solve this problem. I mean, I look at other puppets, and you hardly see any seems. Thanks for any help.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
pull lightly along the edges of the seam, or take a hair pick or close-tooth hair comb and pull the material out of the seam...LIGHTLY. Don't dig too hard and create too much fuzz.

This is assuming you've used fur or fleece.

FOZ

buddy06

Reaction score
Well, on the one that I am talking about I used Felt . The one(s) I am working on now are covered in Fleece. I will remember that though. Thanks.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wanting invisble seams is why many builders eventually go with Antron fleece, but Fozzie's suggestions are very good if you are using regular fleece.

You can also cut patterns so that there is no seam down the middle of the puppet's head (the seams can be at the side instead).

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Unless it's a thick felt, I won't use it on puppets, except if I'm making a pattern (cheaper than fur/fleece) or a "throw-away" puppet (that I'll use once and quickly and not worry how it looks, or for background stuff).

Hays

Reaction score
Not that this will help you now, but a puppet builder I know always used to build puppets so the design hid the seams in natural creases (i.e. nose, cheeks, eyebrows). His puppets were raw foam, and turned out looking spectacular. It's a real trick, though.

buddy06

Reaction score
Thanks,

Yeah, I used Felt b/c I liked the color and it looks great except for the seems. Plus it was pretty cheap. Oh, well. Once I finish his costume I will post a pic. I would like feed back since it is my first. I have already started on my next two. I am doing a bird and a two headed alien!