Courage the Cowardly Dog returning?

BertsNose

Reaction score
I always wished that I had watched Courage the Cowardly Dog more as a kid but then I probably would've been scared by the stuff that most other kids said scared them, like the creepy girl playing the violin. Still its nice to see Courage is back in reruns. "Fog of Courage" didn't really do it for me because of Eustace's voice. I agree that Eustace needs to have that signature growly voice and Wallace Shawn just wasn't the right fit.

Great news about Courage being back in reruns. I always wished I could watch Boomerang. My cable provider doesn't even have the channel for some stupid reason. I guess it doesn't matter since last time I checked Boomerang seems to have gotten rid of its reruns of Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls so it would be disapointing if it was in my cable lineup. I am hoping that once the Powerpuff Girls CGI show comes to Cartoon Network they would start playing reruns again, if not now then in the months before the show airs.

Also, for the sake of getting back on topic (Sorry for digressing there for a moment), the early start time for Courage doesn't really bother me either. In my area it is 6:00 and 6:30 am. For some reason I am always awake until at least 5:30 am and don't go to sleep until like 7 am. I don't know where it i for others

Schfifty

Reaction score
...and it turns out the reruns on its home channel were only temporary. Not surprisingly, they've replaced it with more of Teen Titans Go!. :rolleyes:

I guess it was bound to return just temporarily anyway, since pretty much all the Cartoon Cartoons shows have been indefinitely relegated to Boomerang. I'm not sure they'll ever return to CN, and that's disappointing, especially when they can use the opportunity to balance newer cartoons with older ones.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and it turns out the reruns on its home channel were only temporary. Not surprisingly, they've replaced it with more of Teen Titans Go!. :rolleyes:
I honestly wouldn't mind that show so much if CN didn't insist that, as it's the highest rated and cheapest show on the network, it has to be the only show on the network half the time. I HATE HATE HATE that Transformers:Robots in Disguise gets a crappy early morning Saturdays and only early morning slot. At least they tried some weekday showings of Sonic Boom (which is essentially Teen Titans Go done RIGHT if you think about it). But other than that just... I'm glad they at least give other shows multiple airings a day, but it's clear they're trying to compete with Nick's nonstop daily Spongebob marathons.

I guess it was bound to return just temporarily anyway, since pretty much all the Cartoon Cartoons shows have been indefinitely relegated to Boomerang. I'm not sure they'll ever return to CN, and that's disappointing, especially when they can use the opportunity to balance newer cartoons with older ones.
Which I wouldn't mind too much, had they actually aired all of them at reasonable hours. I like how Courage is on for a solid 2 hour block. I'm also happy they have Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries, even though they're pulling that idiotic, cheap bullcrap and omitting half the episodes. But there's still so much freaking Garfield Show and What's New Scooby-Doo. They have all this Dexter's Lab and Fosters Home imagry in their new bumpers, but I have yet to see them back on the network. Unless they're late night.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's another new interview with Dilly on YT, and he goes into more detail regarding THE FOG OF COURAGE and how it never got an airdate in the U.S., got stuck in Asia, and never did lead to a reboot of the series: long story short, studio politics.

But it's interesting to note that of all the things that they managed to get away with on Courage, there was only one incident that was met with network scrutiny, and it was actually the episode "Courage Under the Volcano." Apparently, the skin color of the island natives was originally light brown, but CN feared this would come off as too offensive, so Dilly decided to have their skin color changed to purple, since purple people don't exist anywhere in real life. Personally, I don't care, I think the purple islanders fit very well with the show's overall stylistic look anyway; but it also brings to mind how on SST, the purple AMs seem to be used almost exclusively for ethnic characters anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They could have also used random weird animals, like they do usually.

Anyway...sucks we're not getting the short on the network, I'm not wild about Courage getting another show because...well... does anyone who actually want a TV cartoon revival ever actually like it? I'm glad that Boomerang is rerunning them, though. That's a start.

I mean, they don't even rerun PPG or Dexter, and those were their higher earning Cartoon Cartoons, after all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even if there was a Courage reboot, Dilly was saying that he wishes he could do it in traditional 2D animation again like the original series was, and in fact, he wanted to do the Fog short in traditional animation as well, but the only way they were going to let him do it is if it was CGI, and according to him, it was quite a task in making sure that the original style of the series could be adapted into CGI.

Erine81981

Reaction score
What season was it that ended with a CGI of Courage? I too would rather this be a special and not a reboot. I enjoyed the show back when it was on but for it to come back. This is just me but I could careless if it does or if it doesn't. But that's just my opinion. Cool to see something new of Courage. Can't wait.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That was the last two seasons. You're talking about him bowing at the end in front of a red curtain at the end of each episode, right? That was the last two seasons.

Then there was that episode, "Hard Drive Courage," where he scanned himself into the computer to save Muriel, and we got an entire sequence where he was CGI - that was pretty cool, at the time.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Then there was that episode, "Hard Drive Courage," where he scanned himself into the computer to save Muriel, and we got an entire sequence where he was CGI - that was pretty cool, at the time.
That episode was awesome! You could definitely say it was a prime example of how they experimented with different animation styles, with Courage scanning himself and becoming CGI-animated and that stuff. The part where Courage sticks his arm through the portal w/ the ripples and becomes 2D is absolutely stunning, especially for its time (it aired in June 2002, so it was probably produced mostly in 2001). It must've taken tons of time and effort to make.

Also, can you share the link to the latest interview? Or is it a video?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Let me try to find it again, I found the link to it by accident, so I need to search for it again.

In the meantime, here's a few really great interviews with Dilly that are already on YT for your pleasure:

Dilly's usually so flamboyant and crazy in most of his interviews, but he sounds heavily medicated in that Jambareeqi interview, lol.

These people need to learn not to ask him how he got started in animation, because his answer will always be the same: "WITH A PENCIL!"