Courage the Cowardly Dog returning?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit, not having cable back then I only saw a decent number, but not a major amount of Courage episodes, and I really can't tell the season by season differences of a show unless I'm exposed to more of it.

But the longer a show goes on, the more likely the later seasons won't be all that good, with odd exceptions (Fat Albert talked about much more daring subject matter just before it ended, and with greater depth too). I don't know much about Courage since I haven't seen every episode nor do I know the seasons where some I've seen came from.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you this: if you see an episode where Courage actually talks throughout the whole show (even talking as he types on the Computer), and the plot relies a little more on standard cartoon hijinx and fluff, then it's definitely S1.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm going to get this out while this thread's still alive.

As brilliant as I find this show in so many different aspects, there's one thing that always kind of bothered me, and that's that they made Ma a villain as well.

Her debut episode was excellent, and it really gave us insight into Eustace's Hilariously Abusive Childhood, hence why he's such a mean and arrogant *******... afterwards, she has Muriel kidnapped because of her rare hair-growing blood type, she tries to destroy Eustace and Muriel's marriage just so she can move out of her trailer, she attempts to capture a sand whale (that Eustace's father cheated in a card game years earlier) to sell on the black market, and finally she destroys an entire colony of coral people because that specific type of coral makes the best wigs - and even tries to kill Courage in the process that time.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but it seems to me the Bagges should have had a few allies... sure, they had Dr. Vindaloo, who was a Cloud Cuckoolander cranked to 11, and Courage had Shirley as an ally, but that was about it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Feh! A KND reboot? Bah! The originaly was overrated as it was.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Feh! A KND reboot? Bah! The originaly was overrated as it was.
Galactic Kids Next Door is more like a sequel to the original rather than a full-on reboot. And as Numbuh 4 said at the end, it's currently not planned for development even though it sounds really neat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's another new interview with Dilly and I learned something new that I never knew before: Eustace didn't originally scare Courage with that Ooga-Booga-Booga mask, but rather he would shoot at Courage with a shot gun in the style of golden era cartoons such as Tex Avery and Bob Clampett - which Cartoon Network wasn't too keen on, which is why Dilly switched to Eustace having that mask.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, usually when networks fuss around with creative vision, they're being complete dinks about the whole thing, but this is one of those times where they actually improved on the concept. So much so that it became iconic of the Courage series.

Not that Eustace shooting Courage couldn't have been played out funny, but there's just something about the subtle cruelty of torturing Courage instead of just killing him (or trying to anyway) that makes the character and sets the tone for the show. By all means Eustace could just get rid of Courage while Muriel isn't looking, but that would be too easy. Eustace is by all means a complete and utter (the D word). That's what makes it all the funnier when he gets sort of killed or something at the end of every episode.

Plus, pulling that big freaking thing out of hammerspace is a million times funnier than any goofy gun fight.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This show owned Hammerspace! Seriously, Courage was able to keep an accordian, an anchor, and a live whale in his pockets at the same time!

Not only that, so many of the props from this show were huge! Quarters the size of dinner plates, electric razors the sign of text books, I could go on and on!

Schfifty

Reaction score
Well, this is unexpected good news. Courage reruns have returned to Cartoon Network! I'm not too critical of its early morning slot, but I'm super pleased that they've started showing reruns of the show again (even from the first season), and it's more awesome since Baby Looney Tunes was brought back recently, too. Maybe Cartoon Network is starting to head toward its classic roots again, especially with the PPG reboot coming next year.

It seems like Courage has been getting a lot of attention this summer, I would say. Being regularly shown on Boomerang, and now getting reruns on Cartoon Network again. That is quite the attention.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's all over Boomerang. I'm quite happy about that. It seems to have a 2 hour block in the middle of the day. AND they rerun Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries to boot. Courage seems to be a no-brainer, but a late 90's Kid's WB series? That's unprecidented and a wonderful surprise. Too bad they don't have Taz-Mania as well. Or even Duck Dodgers.