1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Could we stop embedding Youtube videos in threads?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Hubert, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I like the idea of embedding Youtube videos directly into posts. The problem is that when they're embedded, they seem to really slow down the page loading and scrolling and stuff, to the point where you almost have to dodge threads that you know have videos embedded into them. So I'm just asking, could we possibly try to cool down on embedding videos a bit and just link to them instead?
  2. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Or better, let us choose if we want to embed or link.
    D'Snowth likes this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Wait...we can choose...I'm just saying that maybe users could do more linking instead of embedding...
  4. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! I did wonder about that too. I thought maybe I missed something somewhere along the line because the videos were always embedded but my intention was to put up links most of the time. Glad to know it's a programming thing. It would be nice to have the option, though, you're right.
  5. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Oh...I didn't realize that we couldn't link...I kinda thought that we could. Then maybe what I'm more asking is, can we have the choice?
  6. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The only way I can see to "link" a video at the moment is to paste the link, break the hyperlink and put spaces between key parts of the url that tell it is a link :/
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That would be a better solution honestly... especially in cases where some videos disable embedding, so you'd have to have the direct link to it to see it anyway.
  8. KingR76

KingR76 Active Member

I like to embed videos. (Thats of course when I post them either here or elsewhere) by embedding a video you give someone a slight preview of what the video looks like - with a link you don't always know what you're going to see - I've been caught out one or two times when people have put a picture of something with just a link and only later you click on the link and see what you've let yourself in for.

An embedded video gives the person the opportunity to see what they're going to watch and this is why I have and will always embed videos (Its not as though I make a habit of it so its not like there'd be video after video after video.)
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Right...I do like the concept of embedding videos, my only issue is that it really seems to slow down threads, making them practically impossible to load and use half the time.
  10. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Workaround: use a link shortener like goo.gl
  11. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I've never had a problem with YouTube videos on Muppet Central. That or I never notice the problem. :smirk:
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

At least in signatures would be nice.
  13. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Muppet Central has always loaded quickly for me no matter what the thread or my internet connection speed. Could it be that you are viewing the forum from a cellphone?
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The auto embed is the only thing I'd complain about since, well... sometimes it's just easier to make a joke that ends on a link than an embed...

but I really don't see the need to ban the practice outright. If anything, embedding videos is actually quicker, as you don't need to completely load up an entire Youtube page for it. That's less loading for comments, adverts, and thumbnails of other videos. If anything else, maybe a limit of 5 or less per post, and then the rest automatically become links. But I don't see how that would work.
  15. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

The only thing that irks me about vids is that it made one of my fic threads a God-awful mess, turning links into large blocks, and most of the time I don't see anything but a big ol' blank where a vid supposedly is.
  16. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

When I post a link, it turns into an embedded thing...
  17. Sgt Floyd

yeah, it does that automatically :/

I really wish we could choose to embed or not. DrTooth is right that sometimes it makes for a better joke to link a video
  18. miss kermie

sarge wants to scare us with a ghost train vid! :D
  19. Sgt Floyd

A what now? :confused:

are you talking about those screamer videos? I hate those and would never pull one on someone :/
  20. miss kermie