Could Disney be selling The Muppets?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Dont think so, from what the press said when Disney took over the Muppets.I did read that Hensons still got a percentage of loyalties from Muppet projects for a few years and I am starting to think that maybe Disney is holding out or going slow till the deal expires and then they dont have to pay out.I could be wrong.Anyway, after reading all the responses, I too think Disney wont sell as they can afford to sit on them and would only sell if they got cash strapped.

Luke

Reaction score
Tim said:
I'm not sure of the details of this go round with Disney, but my understanding of the deal Jim was working on was for them to "own" the rights for 10 years, then they would option again at that time, or everything would go back to Henson. Maybe this is the case again?
No in this newest deal Disney was sold the Muppets lock stock and barrel, for good. Yeah as mentioned the Henson's do make money from it, but they were also to make money from a three year deal to make Muppet programmes and a four year deal to consult on the Muppets, with an option to extend it.

D

Dil

Rating from 1-10, For Jim Henson Company for holding the muppets, I rate it a 10! and for Walt Disney Company for holding the muppets, I rate it a 1.

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Hey! [Quick intro: my name is Sarah, I used to have a membership to the forum but then I accidentally let that email get deleted and the membership went right out the window with it. I've lurked for a long time, and now I just decided to start posting again. Woot]

I seriously doubt that Disney is contemplating selling the Muppets. I was just over on the Muppet wikia site a little while ago and I came across a pilot that Bill Barretta finished filming in January 2007. The idea is something about a mockumentary-style show focusing on the Muppets trying to put together a new TV show. It actually seems, contrary to the ideas for America's Next Muppet and the actual outcome of Muppet Wizard of Oz, like a good idea. The article references funny things like Sam's become a security guard and Fozzie worked for awhile as a writer on Moesha.

So long story short, I seriously doubt if Disney gave the go ahead for a pilot to be produced this month that they have any intention of selling the Muppets at the present time. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That sounds interesting. Muppets Wizard of Oz is better on the DVD than the tv show.

Beauregard

Reaction score
SarahOnBway said:
Hey! [Quick intro: my name is Sarah, I used to have a membership to the forum but then I accidentally let that email get deleted and the membership went right out the window with it. I've lurked for a long time, and now I just decided to start posting again. Woot]

I seriously doubt that Disney is contemplating selling the Muppets. I was just over on the Muppet wikia site a little while ago and I came across a pilot that Bill Barretta finished filming in January 2007. The idea is something about a mockumentary-style show focusing on the Muppets trying to put together a new TV show. It actually seems, contrary to the ideas for America's Next Muppet and the actual outcome of Muppet Wizard of Oz, like a good idea. The article references funny things like Sam's become a security guard and Fozzie worked for awhile as a writer on Moesha.

So long story short, I seriously doubt if Disney gave the go ahead for a pilot to be produced this month that they have any intention of selling the Muppets at the present time. :smile:
Firstly, Hey Sarah, welcome back. I think I actually remember you...if your name was similar then...but I may be wrong.

Secondly, W-HAAT? A pilot filmed this month? Do you have a link, or anything like that? Maybe this would explain various mysteries going on around this place recently...A mockumentary? Muppet Wiki? Do you have any other information? Sam as a Security Guard? I confes I can totally see that...

Bea:zany:{What's Moesha?}regard

Ruahnna

Reaction score
DVD MWoO better

Fozzie Bear said:
That sounds interesting. Muppets Wizard of Oz is better on the DVD than the tv show.
True, Fozzie. The show has some nice moments, and the lack of commercial breaks definitely helps the momentum.

The perfomances weren't actually bad. Just the, um, writing. I don't want to sound harsh, but on many of Disney's sequels--their made-for-tv stuff, they seem to save money by not hiring first-string writers.

Aladin, Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Tarzan (Oy--that was awful). The animation and voice acting was fine--it was all plot problems.

Same with the WoO. Our guys did the best they could with a very lack-luster script and a very unsatifying ending. (unless you count the part where Piggy gooses Kermit)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
The ending would have ROCKED if Frank Oz had been the wizard.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Sarah is right, I did a Wiki-Search for Bill B. Head there and check out the sixth paragraph. Very hot and interesting stuff...

Bea:zany:{And by that I don't mean the photo...BBB :stick_out_tongue:}regard

Super Scooter

Reaction score
SarahOnBway said:
I seriously doubt that Disney is contemplating selling the Muppets. I was just over on the Muppet wikia site a little while ago and I came across a pilot that Bill Barretta finished filming in January 2007. The idea is something about a mockumentary-style show focusing on the Muppets trying to put together a new TV show.
Hey, no fair! We were having fun with this on the other threads! :wink:

Cat's outta da bag. :stick_out_tongue:

Welcome back, SarahOnBway!