Cookie Monster's Favorite Artist's 172 Birthday!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I happened to notice today that it's artist Paul Cezanne's 172 birthday. Why do we care about this? Well because fans of the Sesame Street special Don't Eat the Pictures (aka the one where they visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art), might recall the scene where Cookie Monster and Bob are admiring the tastier paintings in the museum and learn that paintings are for looking, not for eating:

Cookie Monster: Oh look, look, that look so delicious!

Bob: Oh it's wonderful! It's a Cezanne.

Cookie Monster:..Say what?

Bob: Heh, Cezanne, Paul Cezanne.

Cookie Monster: Oh, look like picture to me.

Bob: Heh, no that's the man who painted the picture. He lived in France 100 years ago, Cookie Monster, he's very famous!

Cookie Monster: Bob, when that man finish picture, me bet, oh, me bet he ate fruit, right, huh?

Bob: Heh, I guess so.

Cookie Monster: Bob, that leave picture, right?

Bob: Yeah.

Cookie Monster: Well then uh...ME EAT PICTURE!

Bob: No no, Cookie Monster! You can't touch the picture!

Cookie Monster: Me no want to touch, me want to eat picture!

Bob: No, you can't, no!

Cookie Monster: Let me just eat frame!

Bob: No, the sign Cookie Monster, look at the sign!

Cookie Monster: "Please Don't Eat the Pictures."....Oh this going to be long night!

I do have Sesame Street to thank for introducing me to this artist (and I am not ashamed, hehe). So Happy Birthday, Cezanne, thanks for the art and thanks for indirectly teaching us kids to not eat the pictures! :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny... I thought he was more a fan of Fransisco Goya, myself...

Shameless promotion, plus, I figure someone in this thread could appreciate it.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Haha- nice! (Both the reminder about that scene in "Please Don't Eat the Pictures" and Dr.Tooth's drawing).:insatiable:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Haha- nice! (Both the reminder about that scene in "Please Don't Eat the Pictures" and Dr.Tooth's drawing).:insatiable:
Glad you liked it! (both things, hehe). And it's a great example of how children's shows shouldn't be afraid to introduce kids to more grown up and cultural things. It will pay off later in life. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That requires a story. A few months ago, my sister who is in college had to take this art history class, and she had that painting I parodied, Fransisco Goya's Saturn Devouring one of his Sons (or something to that extent), and she was quite disturbed by the actual painting... a guy with a beard biting the head off a child with blood all over... that's disturbing to anyone. But when I saw it, I saw great big googly eyes and heard "AYOM Nom Non nom" in my head. I kept making that noise, and suddenly, a disturbing painting became a FUNNY painting.

So naturally I HAD to draw that. I put it under so many filters, too.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hahaha- that is a neat story too. And yes, Goya's painting does sound rather disturbing. Way to go on making a funny Sesame Street painting instead to think on.:wisdom::insatiable: