Cookie Monster Replica

gooby1244

Reaction score
Hi! I have made several Muppet replicas in the past, and am now planning on making a Cookie Monster or Oscar the Grouch replica.
I was wondering if anyone had done this before, and how you went about making the head of this puppet? I planned on making Cookie one consistent piece of fur, but I can't wrap brain around HIS head.
If anyone has any Monster puppet patterns they would be willing to show me, that would be GREAT. The Mostro pattern from Project Puppet would work great for this, but I lack that money.

Animal31

Reaction score
I would think the Melon head pattern would be good for an Oscar as well?

Cookie, you could do in just a front and back piece pattern. The mouth would be right at the top, then all you would probably have to do is insert the mouth plate and maybe some foam on the top and bottom of your hand to hold the shape.

I don't think the mouth itself is very stiff either, so maybe just some 1/2 foam will do for the mouth plate.

gooby1244

Reaction score
I am actually using a [much] modified version of the "Consumer Monster" pattern for the head- as of right now I have the mouth plate made of cardboard-if this turns out to be too stiff, i will replace with reticulated foam.
I have a few layered strips of reticulated foam above and below the mouthplate to give it SOME shape-but for the most part his head is pretty flat.
I have the eyes finished-I found an old thread on here about how to do the moving pupils, and it worked well!
I have made my own pattern for the body; as soon as I get the fur, pix will be up of the finished product!

Adam Kreutinger

Reaction score
I would have to recommend that you do not use cardboard at all. When puppeteer your hand get sweaty, and when the cardboard get sweaty it just falls apart. I would recommend corrugated plastic (realtor sign board). Or some people use foamcore too.
~Adam

aaronmojo

Reaction score
Hey, I made one! Here's a video of it in action:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy3DumbiL54

I used foam rubber for the "skull" and the mouth is that thin craft foam stuff covered in black felt. The eyes don't "google" but they shake around enough that it looks kinda like they google.

TML

Reaction score
His eyes are small plastic circles pinned onto the spheres.