Cookie Monster Puppet Replica

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've spent my Christmas toilet training my son. I've downloaded the Sesame Street android app for my Asus tablet so he can watch sesame street videos while he sits which makes it more enjoyable for him (and me). He absolutely loves cookie monster (almost more than he loves Elmo) so as I'd just purchased the borsa puppet pattern I thought I'd have a go at altering it to a cookie monster pattern. He's probably a mix of a few different versions I've seen over the years, but I'm happy with him. The eyes are not his final eyes, I'm still working out the details/finding the right screw to make it safer. At the moment his eyes are the large clear christmas baubles which I painted flat white, and added felt discs displaced. The eyes rock back and forth (and a little side to side) when I operate cookie monster so I displaced the pupils and it really creates a very similar illusion to the googly eyes. It's safe for my son which was my main concern with this build, while keeping the googly eyes which is a definite must for a cookie monster replica.

I gave him the five fingers that cookie has, but have not extended to include the fluffy pointed ends yet. I still have plenty of fur so will probably add that when I go back and replace the eyes. I made several attempts at the head none of which worked. The final design was a 1/2" foam mouth plate, slit on the center fold with a foam ring glues for my pointer finger, pinky finger and thumb. This gives great control over the mouth movement given it's a wider than normal mouth (at least from what I'm used to). I machine sewed everything, which wasn't the best way to proceed (particularly the fingers), but I got impatient and just wanted him finished. Took ages to get the trapped fur out, as I also didn't trim away the seam edges either. The fur is a little straight and flat but my son will fix that in not time. Elmo has already changed dramatically since I made him due to being dragged around the house, and give lots of cuddles. I'm hoping cookie will have the same fate, so he gets a more matted/knotted furry look.

The felt mouth was sewn to the finished head, then the mouthplate glued to it, and sewn onto the body. no foam in his head other than the mouthplate and finger rings. Seems to still give it a nice rounded shape mostly from my own hand shape.

I hope you like him, I haven't given him to my son yet, but I did put just the body and unfinished head onto my hand and he immediately said "cookie monster" so I think he would still appreciate it without all the extra effort, but I enjoy it, I learn from it and that adds to the enjoyment I see when he plays with it.

I would like to attempt an oscar next I think but I haven't found fur that I really like for him yet. Also not yet ready to tackle anything with a mechanism, still need to do more research before making any moving parts.

anyway, onto the pics.

Greg

Rymoore21

Reaction score
Nice! Can you email me the pattern you used? I want to make one for my 2 year old daughter. She is totally crushing on "Cookie" right now lol.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Hi, sorry no I can't. 80% of the pattern doesn't belong to me it was purchased from project puppet. It's the borsa pattern. It's one of the more expensive patterns but well worth it. The rest I made up with no pattern which probably wasn't the smartest if I ever want to rebuild him but I was doing it rather quickly. Once you have the project puppet pattern ignore their head patterns, trace the hand pattern onto card stock and redraw over it the hand to have 5 fingers instead of four. The eyes are Christmas baubles I think somewhere between 50 - 60 in size. If you do a search on Cookie Monster eyes there are plenty of posts about his eye size. From the eyes determine how big the mouthplate needs to be and what shape. Draw that then the head shape is just an extension on the neck large enouh to fit the mouthplate. I did the head separate due to it being my first build and made sure I had extra material to trial with.

It's not difficult just do your research on this forum and you'll figure it out. Good luck.

Greg

ashkent

Reaction score
It's a great Cookie. I did one based on the old darker, shorter furred Cookie from the original Sesame Street episodes - before he went bright and bold - but I intend making a one similar to this as well when i find time between other work.

The Borsa pattern is one of the few i don't have from Project Puppet, but for my puppet building work the rest have been a fantastic help and i can second the recommendation to buy them. :smile:

Brilliant job.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, my son is still loving cookie, asks for him several times a day. I'm trying to finish ernie then want to make a few of my own character designs.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
:insatiable: Me love this.

I love your Cookie Monster replica. Thansk for sharing!

Pepperlover2123

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, my son is still loving cookie, asks for him several times a day. I'm trying to finish ernie then want to make a few of my own character designs.
Hi,
I was wondering something. Can you try making a Telly Monster Replica? I am such a big fan of Telly Monster from Sesame Street and I was wondering if you could try making a Muppet Replica of Telly. Can you? Please let me know. Okay?
Thanks. :smile: