Cookie Monster makes Peanut-Butter

Rosewood

Reaction score
Does any one happen to remember this sketch?

Cookie Monster is at Hoopers store window, faceing out, with a bowl of un-shelled peanuts and a bowl of butter in front of him on the window sill. He is about to dip a peanut in the butter when Maria comes along and asks him what he is doing. He replies "Me making peanut butter!!"
Maria tells him "Thats not how you make peanut butter! This is how you make it." They then proceed to show a real live film of how peanut butter is made, from start to finish, after which Maria says "So you see, Cookie, Just because its called "peanut butter" doesnt mean its really made from "peanuts" and "Butter".
At which point Cookie Monster says something like "Ya, ya, that nice and all, but me still think my way is better!" He then takes a peanut in one hand, holds it up majestically and yells "peanut!" and (as he dips it in the bowl of butter) "Butter!" then he proceeds to gobble all of it up, as Maria stands by, shaking her head, as if to say "Why do I even try to explain?" :rolleyes:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Was this film in question the Raposo song "A Lot of Little Nuts"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, the only "How to Make Peanut Butter" bits I remember are...

* A cartoon about an elephant who gathers 10 peanuts (I believe it was 10) in a pile. He jumps up into the air and counts to 10, and flattens the peanuts with his butt. He then eats what's left and says "Mmm, peanut butter!"

* On "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood", Mr. McFeely showed Mister Rogers a tape of a peanut butter factory.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Does any one happen to remember this sketch?

Cookie Monster is at Hoopers store window, faceing out, with a bowl of un-shelled peanuts and a bowl of butter in front of him on the window sill. He is about to dip a peanut in the butter when Maria comes along and asks him what he is doing. He replies "Me making peanut butter!!"
Maria tells him "Thats not how you make peanut butter! This is how you make it." They then proceed to show a real live film of how peanut butter is made, from start to finish, after which Maria says "So you see, Cookie, Just because its called "peanut butter" doesnt mean its really made from "peanuts" and "Butter".
At which point Cookie Monster says something like "Ya, ya, that nice and all, but me still think my way is better!" He then takes a peanut in one hand, holds it up majestically and yells "peanut!" and (as he dips it in the bowl of butter) "Butter!" then he proceeds to gobble all of it up, as Maria stands by, shaking her head, as if to say "Why do I even try to explain?" :rolleyes:
don't recall or saw that 1 though I probably saw that film you mentioned. was that the 1 where kids were narrating the film and that accordian was being played towards the end? speaking of what CM did, I remember a Mr. Rogers episode where he did the same thing. the SS producers were probably inspired by that one.

salemfan

Reaction score
When I was little, I thought peanut butter was the same as butter because of the word.

salemfan

Reaction score
How come they didn't ever have a similar Cookie Monster skit where he attempts to make apple butter by dipping sliced apples in butter? How come Sesame Street doesn't have a clip and song about how apple butter is made?

ISNorden

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
How come they didn't ever have a similar Cookie Monster skit where he attempts to make apple butter by dipping sliced apples in butter? How come Sesame Street doesn't have a clip and song about how apple butter is made?
Because apple butter isn't as popular (or familiar to children) as peanut butter; most of the "how things are made" material on Sesame Street teaches about things a child would use, or see others use, in everyday life. If more American families started buying and using apple butter, then Sesame Workshop would consider adding related skits, movies and songs to the show.

salemfan

Reaction score
If that Cookie Monster sketch were made today, I hope they'd have him try to dip some almonds, cashews, soybeans, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts to try to make almond butter, cashew butter, soy butter, sunflower seed butter, walnut butter, pecan butter, or macadamia nut butter. I also feel the Sesame Street song "It takes a lot of little nuts to make a jar of peanut butter" should be reissued with an all-new video of them making almond butter, cashew butter, or some newer nut butter and with slight edits to the words. This is because peanut butter isn't the only nut butter there is anymore. (If it is reissued as "Takes a lot of little nuts to make a jar of cashew butter", they'd have to show the employees putting on the gloves necessary to get the cashews ready for being made into cashew butter. Even the "Get them roasted and assorted" part would have to show the employees with goggles and other safety apparatus.)