Cookie Monster "eating healthier" in news

beaker

Reaction score
Remember, originally Telly monster was made to be a total tv addict! And over the years weve learned Oscar just has some agoraphobia and unresolved issues, and isnt really such a bad guy. Elmo still needs to be punched tho.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I gotta say about it.

Firstly... wasn't Cookie monster just some random monster that ate whatever was on the stage. I mean, the character originated as a fanged green thingy that basically ate an exploding computer with deadly Methane gas coming out of it. The only reason they even made him eat cookies was that skit where he steals Ernie's cookies and milk. Then he just sort of became popular.

Secondly, it isn't the cookies I'm worried about.... it's the pick up trucks, the plates, the baskets, the foam letters, etc. I'm more concerned about. You know, Popeye's been eating Spinache for 75 years (or so)..... how come kids aren't imitating him? I mean, I did imitate Cookie Monster once or twice... once as a kid, and the second time a year ago before a class in front of students for a laugh. Almost wrecked my larynx.... But then again, kids wouldn't eat fruit if it was all neon blue and gave you super powers like Luffy from One Piece.

Thirdly, isn't it the PARENT'S job to teach their kid's healthy habits? If you take parenting advice from a big blue hand puppet, should you even be allowed to have kids? This is yet another example of letting TV become the teacher, and SS has to suffer from it. If any lazy parents are out there, if your child is 400 pounds, and eats nothing but cookies because a Blue monster does it...take the bag of oreos out of his mouth!

It is sad that another TV character is sanitized for the masses (like the entire TMS muppets becoming Disney-fied), but then again, it's sad some moron teenager can go to McDonalds, buy the biggest darn thing on the menu every single day, supersizer it and chase it with the entire dessert menu, and blame the company, not themselves for needing a motor scooter to go around.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes, exactly, it's the parents job. Children will have already been taught and instilled by their family about what foods are good for you. And it's fine for SS to reinforce that, as they always have ( I recall many 70's segments about the importance of brushing your teeth, for instance). But to change the Cookie Monster to a more healthy eater is not the way to go about it. He's just a fun monster character. And yes, he ate many objects too; which certainly didn't lead to children feasting on those! :smile:
It's the same thing with Oscar. SS always has taught things like cooperation and sharing. They didn't need to make Oscar suddenly become all sweet to do so, though. Nor do I think kids would be more inclined to keep someone awake at night because Ernie did it to Bert. Or want to walk around unbathed and dirty because Pigpen does in "Peanuts". Let the kids enjoy the Muppet and cartoon characters for who they really are. And for Cookie Monster it's a dude who absolutely LOVES cookies! Why, he couldn't ring the bell to win the prize at the carnival because the guy was pulling a sham - NO ONE was strong enough to ring the bell. But..... once the Cookie Monster heard the prize was a cookie, KOWABUNGA! He rings the bell so hard the whole thing breaks. As he says in his c is for cookie song, "Cookie starts with c. Let's think of other things that begin with the letter c. Naw, who cares about the other things! C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... Oscar I didn't notice became too sweet, myself. He's just more of a character. Considering he just came out and said "scram" a lot, they just do more with him over the years. But then again, it's maybe just because it isn't as Drastic as this.... but from what I've seen so far, Cookies' still wolfing them down....

Ziffel

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Hmmm... Oscar I didn't notice became too sweet, myself. He's just more of a character. Considering he just came out and said "scram" a lot, they just do more with him over the years. But then again, it's maybe just because it isn't as Drastic as this.... but from what I've seen so far, Cookies' still wolfing them down....
You are right Dr. Tooth. What I meant was SS didn't ever need to try to make Oscar become sweet in order to try to teach kids to have kindness and respect for others. Sorry if the way I worded it was not the best! :smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
Did not hear the SNL refernce but that is hilarious.

I do not think it is a big deal at all. What we should be concerned with is all the original SS Muppets we have lost.

We miss you Sherlock Hemlock.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I think it's a pretty dumb idea to have Cookie Monster start eating healthier foods. The people at Sesame Street can't help that kids are 30 pounds heavier than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Blame it on the parents for getting their kids happy meals from McDonalds all the time. Blame the parents for giving thier kids junk food all the time. Blame the parents for not pushing their kids to go out and ride their bikes or go play with their friends outside. I don't think a television show should be the one to teach little kids about eating healthier foods. It's the parents responsibleity and if thry feel like feeding their kids junk all the time and not pushing their kids to get some exercise, then let the kids grow fat.

ryan

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thoughts and corrections to this story.

1 The sole instance of Cookie Monster eating healthier or something other than cookies was the remake of the song "Healthy Food" shown in Episode 4085. That's 1, 1 segment in a total of 10 episodes shown so far. Every other instance where Cookie Monster has appeared, it's been related to his love for eating cookies. Heck, that was the thing that made me laugh when he disguised himself as Granny Bird in Episode 4086.
2 Regarding the song "A Cookie is a Sometimes Food"... It's Hoots the Owl who sings that to him to teach CM the difference. And the response by CM at the end of the song is something that flies in the mace of all this erroneous discussion...
CM: You right, but you know something? Now Some Time!" And he devours the plateload of cookies.
3 What I'm somewhat incredulous about is all the empty media hype this story has garnered, only to end up as so much badd egg on the faces of the same media promoters. Cookie Monster hasn't changed his habits, he's still scarfing down plateloads of cookies when given the chance.
4 You're going to believe Frist when he talks to you about healthy tips? This is the same man who doesn't know if crying leads directly to well, not sure if I should say it for fear of bringing this whole thing down on itself... But it was one of those world-renound diseases.
5 The last thing I have to say is the story that aired on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart on 4/14/2005. Jon, after the clip of "A Cookie is a Sometimes Food" ends with Cookie Monster not knowing which food to choose: "Yes, a difficult decision indeed. This is the biggest behavorial change ever since Smokey Monster switched from normal to light cigareettes. Unfortunately, he succombed to cancer of the googley eyes in 1983. We miss you Smokey."
Thought you guys might find that funny, and a good way to punch another hole in the whole over-hyped and over-emphazised proclamation that CM will now be eating healthier and give up the traditional cookies, when it's just a load of media bull.

Censored

Reaction score
The idea of Cookies in moderation on Sesame Street is not completely new. In the 80's, Cookie sang "Healthy Foods" and in the 70's, he did a public service announcement about eating healthy. So, if they're promoting a "healthier" Cookie Monster in this next season, they're probably going to take it to a whole new extreme now.

Hmmm...I wonder if Ernie will have to be remade to look thinner now. No more overweight actors? Sponsored by a health food store instead of McDonald's? Who knows what the future shall bring...